Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrading today

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 ocean77

ocean77

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:45 AM

Posted 05 September 2015 - 08:47 AM

Just put my files on Flash Drive and getting ready to upgrade to 10. Should I remove my Start button? I was thinking on going to MS site to get the link for the upgrade. What are your thoughts? Thank you!

I placed almost everything I wanted to protect, but I am missing my Bookmark links. Is there a way of adding this to the Flash Drive? I was thinking about dragging, but did not look like it would work.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:10:45 AM

Posted 05 September 2015 - 09:04 AM

What browser are you using?

#3 ocean77

ocean77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2015 - 09:27 AM

Not sure if you are familiar with it. It is Pale Moon.

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2015 - 09:31 AM

Ocean, Pale Moon offers a tool to back-up your whole userprofile under it if you need. I suggest you to use it if you want to be sure to not leave anything behind.

https://www.palemoon.org/backuptool.shtml

Also, if you are using Classic Shell as your Start Menu, it's officially Windows 10 compatible, so you can leave it installed and it shouldn't cause any issues. Also, using the Media Creation Tool have more chances to work than upgrading via Windows Update if you ask me.

Edited by Aura, 05 September 2015 - 09:32 AM.

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#5 ocean77

ocean77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2015 - 09:52 AM

Ocean, Pale Moon offers a tool to back-up your whole userprofile under it if you need. I suggest you to use it if you want to be sure to not leave anything behind.

https://www.palemoon.org/backuptool.shtml

Also, if you are using Classic Shell as your Start Menu, it's officially Windows 10 compatible, so you can leave it installed and it shouldn't cause any issues. Also, using the Media Creation Tool have more chances to work than upgrading via Windows Update if you ask me.

Thank you so much with all your help. Media Creation Tool? I am lost.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 05 September 2015 - 11:35 AM.
edited to remove question from the quote

#6 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2015 - 09:54 AM

The Windows 10 Media Creation Tool.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-ca/windows-10/media-creation-tool-install

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#7 ocean77

ocean77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2015 - 10:04 AM

So I will start by downloading the tool? Is this going to take hours to finish?

Edited by ocean77, 05 September 2015 - 10:06 AM.

#8 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2015 - 10:06 AM

Yes, download that tool then select Upgrade this computer now and from there, the tool will download the Windows 10 upgrade. The total download time depends on your Internet connection speeds.

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png

#9 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 05 September 2015 - 11:29 AM

Thank you for providing your browser information.

Aura posted what I would have regarding backing up your bookmarks, which is why asked which one you use.

#10 ocean77

ocean77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2015 - 02:03 PM

Thank you so much for all your help. I now have Windows 10 installed and everything seems to running just fine. It took roughly 2 hrs from start to finish.

#11 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2015 - 02:19 PM

No problem ocean, you're welcome :)

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users