Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need a video converter to change files for Windows Movie Maker.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Tim_K

Tim_K

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:04 AM

Posted 05 September 2015 - 08:46 AM

I run Windows Movie Maker 2.6 on my 7 Pro 64 bit PC.  It's not hard, just download Movie Maker for Windows Vista, and replace its application file with the same file from the XP 2.6 version and it works.

I do not want to change from using Movie Maker 2.6, it works well and I am used to it.

My old Canon ZR45MC, which outputs video in MPEG-2, finally lost its CCD sensor connection.  When I record, it picks up sound, but only a black screen for video.  Video playback still works on it.

So I picked up a new Canon Vixia HFR600.  It is set to record video in MP4. 

But Movie Maker 2.6 does not accept MP4 video files, so I need to convert them to MPEG-2, WMV, or AVI.  Something that Movie Maker 2 can accept.

I tried using Handbrake, but it only shows MKV and MP4 as video output choices.  I tried picking MPEG-2 in the large lower window under "output settings", but it still makes MP4 video.

So I need an easy to use converter to change MP4 files into MPEG-2, WMV, or AVI.  Free is best, but I would actually PAY MONEY for a good converter, and that is an extremely rare thing for me, to actually pay for software.

Any tips?  Thanks.

Edited by Tim_K, 05 September 2015 - 01:32 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,060 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:04 AM

Posted 05 September 2015 - 12:14 PM

I would expect moviemaker to accept mp4 files, this is more likely to be a codec issue. there are ways to add extra codecs to windows media player so it can accept these but this is generally tricky to do, so converting the video files to another format (avi with no codecs might be your best bet, although the files it makes are HUGE) is the way to do this. VLC can do conversions for file formats, but it's a trial and error thing, VLC is excellent for many things but converting files is one of the few things it isn't so good at. There are certainly many programs which can do file conversions, but I'm not familiar enough with them to give a recommendation here, hopefully someone else can.

Edited by rp88, 05 September 2015 - 12:15 PM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#3 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,136 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:04 PM

Posted 05 September 2015 - 08:50 PM

Try Using Winff - i havent used it for a while { Years } but had good success using it and various formatts etc.

Slight learning curve but not difficult and many setting to choose from.

Read the Manual or google some utube vids etc.

http://winff.org/html_new/downloads.html

#4 Avine

Avine

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:04 PM

Posted 07 September 2015 - 10:34 PM

I have ever used movie maker to make a video (although it's not that good to use :) )

But as a original video maker in micro system, WMV will be the most compatible format for it.

I normally convert video into WMV to avoid some unpredictable circumstances.

I also used handbrake ever, I was annoyed by the small range of converting formats.

So I ask my friends to recommend me a useful one.

And now I'm fond of an online converter which supports all kinds of output formats and you can easily convert video in bulk.

You can have a try in this free online converter.

I think you shall like it. :lmao:

#5 Tim_K

Tim_K
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:04 AM

Posted 12 September 2015 - 08:52 AM

LOL yeah right, someone with 3 posts here recommending a free converter with a link to probable viruses has credibility here.  Not gonna click it.

Anyone else got any suggestions?

#6 O.T.T.

O.T.T.

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:04 AM

Posted 12 September 2015 - 04:36 PM

XMedia Recode is one of my favorites and it's free.

It even has a portable version.

OTT

Please ask Google why some of my links don't work anymore !

#7 Avine

Avine

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:04 PM

Posted 13 September 2015 - 08:20 PM

LOL yeah right, someone with 3 posts here recommending a free converter with a link to probable viruses has credibility here.  Not gonna click it.

Anyone else got any suggestions?

I was heart broken by your suspicion. I entered into this website accidentally, then I find your post which I think I can help you.

Then I provide my way to solve your problem.

Whether you are willing to use it, but I have to clearify it's not a virus at all. 

#8 petewills

petewills

• Members
  • 1,378 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:04 AM

Posted 20 September 2015 - 07:04 AM

Tim_K

I've used the free Any Video Converter from Anvsoft Inc for many years; currently on Windows 7.

Seems to handle every type of file.

You can Google for it, as you distrust what people here say and ensure you have anti virus software on your own pc, to protect yourself.

Your attitude will not encourage people to respond and to sneer at someone who has a few posts is really pathetic.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users