Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

can't get bios to see external drive

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 neo15

neo15

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:31 AM

Posted 05 September 2015 - 07:29 AM

I have a asos x200ca machine, I replaced a failed hard drive bur don't have a back up disc. I have windows 7 install disc and an external cd drive. I can't get the settings in the bios to see the external drive. Advice appreciated but please keep it simple I am not a computer user.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,208 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:31 PM

Posted 05 September 2015 - 07:59 AM

A BIOS will only actually show you drives in the equipment list when they are connected to an internal interface. However assuming you mean it won't boot from a USB drive there are some possibilities.

Firstly ensure it is a DVD drive not just CD, since a Windows 7 install disc will be a DVD.

Next to boot from USB you'll probably need to change the boot options in the BIOS. Reading suggests you should use F2 to access the menu, in Security disable Secure Boot State. On the Boot tab disable Fast Boot and enable Launch CSM. Save and Exit, then on boot press Esc to access the boot menu, select USB as the first boot device. Acknowledgement to Anshad Edavana if this is correct.

In extreme circumstances there is a claim that early BIOS versions would not boot from USB unless updated:

I cannot vouch from personal experience as to whether this is something you should consider if you are unable to get your unit to boot from the external drive.

Top 5 things that never get done:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users