Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Urgent!!! Windows 10 won't let me go back to Windows 7, running out of time!

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 game of thrones

game of thrones

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 PM

Posted 05 September 2015 - 07:00 AM

Hi,

Please help!

Windows 10 is a mess for me. I can't take it and I think today might be the last day that I can go back to 7.

However, When I try to go back to windows 7 it gives me the message I'm attaching.

I've gone to user account options in both settings and in control panel and there are no other accounts in existence so I'm unable to delete them.

I do remember I created an "administrator" account after installing windows 10 because I was having many issues and a website recommended it. But back then I followed their instructions to delete it, I remember most of that was done through command prompt.

Please help me go back to Windows 7!

BTW guys, I found the instructions about when I created the "administrator" account. I'm trying things, I'm trying....

https://www.wiknix.com/solved-this-app-has-been-blocked-for-your-protection/

I tried opening command prompt as admin and then I tried to delete the "administrator" account with "net user administrator /del". It tells me "cannot perform this operation on built-in accounts". Then I tried disabling it with "net user administrator /active:no". It said "The command completed succesfully".

Then I tried again to revert to windows 7 and I still get the same message as before...

Attached Files

Edited by game of thrones, 05 September 2015 - 07:15 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,998 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:44 PM

Posted 05 September 2015 - 07:16 AM

There must have been other accounts on the computer after you upgraded, correct? Did you delete those?

#3 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,655 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2015 - 07:28 AM

Not knowing what how items were performed and with such little time

Try this: Access command prompt as administrator

Type in net user administrator /active:yes

--- Shut down. Start back up

This will allow you to select the hidden Administrator account in which you can see what your user accounts are

--- Select the hidden Administrator account; you should be able to select Manage another account or something like that

Select the administrator account you had created if it's still there and delete the account

--- Those instructions are not exact but just follow what makes sense

Go back and hide the Administrator account (net user administrator /active:yes) as I do not know how Windows 10 will react to an active hidden Administrator account if it wasn't so during the upgrade

Try to revert back to Windows 7

--- If it doesn't work post the reason why as well as what procedure are you using

If the above doesn't work, do you have a restore point to go back to?

#4 game of thrones

game of thrones
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2015 - 07:56 AM

Not knowing what how items were performed and with such little time

Try this: Access command prompt as administrator

Type in net user administrator /active:yes

This will allow you to select the hidden Administrator account in which you can see what your user accounts are

--- Select the hidden Administrator account; you should be able to select Manage another account or something like that

Select the administrator account you had created if it's still there and delete the account

--- Those instructions are not exact but just follow what makes sense

Go back and hide the Administrator account (net user administrator /active:yes) as I do not know how Windows 10 will react to an active hidden Administrator account if it wasn't so during the upgrade

Try to revert back to Windows 7

--- If it doesn't work post the reason why as well as what procedure are you using

If the above doesn't work, do you have a restore point to go back to?

Thanks for your reply cmtrgy,

I tried what you said and the only account that shows is my local account with my name. I pressed remove and a prompt comes up that all my files and everything I have will be deleted so I didn't delete it. That elusive hidden "admin account" doesn't show up.

It seems to me the only restore point I have is four days ago which is not enough.

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,998 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2015 - 08:07 AM

So are you saying that besides this "Adminstrator Account" you also have another account with your user name? From your first post...

"I've gone to user account options in both settings and in control panel and there are no other accounts in existence so I'm unable to delete them."

It sounded like the Administrator Account was the only account on the computer.

If you have another account that you can login to, make sure it is an administrator account. Open an elevated command prompt. I think you can do it in Windows 10 by pressing the Windows key + X and selecting CMD (admin). 

At the prompt type the following.

net user administrator /active:no

This will disable the hidden administrator account and should let  you revert. 

#6 game of thrones

game of thrones
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2015 - 08:34 AM

So are you saying that besides this "Adminstrator Account" you also have another account with your user name? From your first post...

"I've gone to user account options in both settings and in control panel and there are no other accounts in existence so I'm unable to delete them."

It sounded like the Administrator Account was the only account on the computer.

If you have another account that you can login to, make sure it is an administrator account. Open an elevated command prompt. I think you can do it in Windows 10 by pressing the Windows key + X and selecting CMD (admin). 

At the prompt type the following.

net user administrator /active:no

This will disable the hidden administrator account and should let  you revert. 

well, it's my personal account and it is an administrator account, not an extra account. We all have to have our original account which is normally an administrator account with our name or ID which we make when we install windows.

The account giving me trouble is one "administrator account".

As mentioned I tried your prompt before and it does nothing

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,998 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2015 - 08:50 AM

Did you try using an elevated command prompt for disabling administrator? When first logging in, is "Administrator" still listed?

See option 4 here. Be very careful editing the registry. Look under the key listed and see if it has the correct Hex value as shown. If your command completed successfully then the Hex value should be 11 at offset 0038.

Edited by JohnC_21, 05 September 2015 - 09:18 AM.

#8 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,655 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2015 - 10:41 AM

I believe JohnC_21's link in post #7 will provide a solution for you as far as finding out the users accounts you do have.

However, in case it becomes necessary to know: what version of Windows 7 did you have?

#9 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,016 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:44 PM

Posted 05 September 2015 - 11:56 AM

Post #1

Do you have system images on external drives, did you make any before the "upgrade", if you're really lucky you might find that the manufactuerer put one on a partition of the HDD when the machine was new? What about recovery media, did the computer come with any? Do you have installation discs for windows 7 at all?

Edited by rp88, 05 September 2015 - 11:57 AM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#10 game of thrones

game of thrones
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2015 - 06:37 PM

thanks for your help guys,

I'm giving up. bleep this

#11 Norseman143

Norseman143

• Members
  • 300 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2015 - 06:42 PM

So you gave up going back to 7?

#12 game of thrones

game of thrones
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2015 - 06:45 PM

yes, i've got to do a clean install of 7 what a bleep hassle, I need to install everything again, organize everything the way i want it.

bleep this bleep, bleep Windows 10. Why is everyone loving windows 10? To me it's completely bleep. 

i like the features and that no problem there.

My windows 10 is extremely faulty. Of note, I cannot have a faulty search function. It tells me it can't find anything.

BBBBBBBBBBBBBLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEPPPPPPPPPPPPPP

Edited by game of thrones, 06 September 2015 - 06:47 PM.

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,998 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2015 - 07:10 PM

If you are running fine with Windows 7 stick with it. You have security support until 2020.

In the future I would recommend you create a disk image backup using something like Macrium Free. Using it to create an image to an external drive and the bootable disk/USB created using the program you would be able to restore the image and be back in business in minutes instead of hours. It has saved my bacon plenty of times. It will also let you restore to a blank hard drive if your current drive fails or the system does not boot do to a file system error or malware infection.

You can also explore the image by mounting it as a virtual drive letting you pull any file out of the image.

#14 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2015 - 11:45 PM

game of thrones,  it's true that a man has a name but what is that name?  Yeah.  Some call the name opposite of the true name.  So a blind Arya can see...

So: Everyone isn't loving Windows 10.  Read the  comments in the pro-Win10 articles in magazines like PC Mag, PC World, Computerworld, ZDnet (has the most comments), Infoworld, then ArsTechnica, then Tech Republic, and Forbes.  Then go read the reviews of Win10 in places like newegg, Amazon, notice how many have the same problems as you did, being unable to roll back.

See for yourself, so you will know you're not alone.

yes, i've got to do a clean install of 7 what a bleep hassle, I need to install everything again, organize everything the way i want it.

bleep this bleep, bleep Windows 10. Why is everyone loving windows 10? To me it's completely bleep. 

i like the features and that no problem there.

My windows 10 is extremely faulty. Of note, I cannot have a faulty search function. It tells me it can't find anything.

BBBBBBBBBBBBBLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEPPPPPPPPPPPPPP

Edited by brainout, 06 September 2015 - 11:49 PM.

(Away, Notifications Off) AUDIT PREMISES, my guidon.  -- brainout or brainouty on vimeo or Youtube, domain brainout.net

#15 Chris4835

Chris4835

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2015 - 09:36 AM

I do not have a solution to this problem. BUT I HATE WINDOWS 10 too.

No wonder Microsoft is giving it away for free.

I actually bought a new computer with Windows 10 installed. It is much faster, the computer, and has a lot more memory. But I still have my old computer that has Windows 7 and XP on it. I do not go on the Internet with XP but all my programs work just fine. To me Windows 10 is a piece of garbage. 

Edited by Chris4835, 07 September 2015 - 09:42 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users