Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What is wrong with Windows 10 search feature? doesn't find my documents.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 game of thrones

game of thrones

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:31 PM

Posted 05 September 2015 - 06:39 AM

Hi everyone,

My search functions are not working properly even though I have re-indexed everything through the indexing tool.

All search functions either through the search button next to the start button or in file explorer, will only find certain things and simply not find others.

For example I'll open a folder "folder for my notes", then there will be many documents one of which would be "holiday notes". I will type in the search box "holiday" or "notes" or anything relevant, even the content of the document. In most cases it says "no item matched your search", even though the damn document is RIGHT THERE IN THE FOLDER WHERE I'M DOING THE SEARCH.

This happens mostly in the dropbox and google drive folders but it also happens in other folders. And it seems random, like it only finds the things that it wants to find.

Can you guys please try a search for a document within a folder, for an item that you know for sure it's there? Especially for Dropbox/Google Drive. 

This is so annoying, I have so many documents that I need to find them based on their title or their text content, but without this feature, I will destroy Windows 10 I hate you with passion!!!!!

Please help, Please!!!!

BTW

I just made a full copy of my google drive on my desktop, and now the search function (when I search all my C drive or specific folders) is finding the documents within that copied folder. BUT NOT THE ONES IN GOOGLE DRIVE FOLDER. Anyway as I said, it's not a problem with just dropbox/google drive, it's in other folders as well.

Perhaps I will proceed to blow my brains out now, thank you Windows 10.

Please help

Edited by game of thrones, 05 September 2015 - 06:46 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 game of thrones

game of thrones
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:31 PM

Posted 05 September 2015 - 07:56 AM

Can someone atleast say "I do not have this problem at all"

Is there anybody out there. Please.. Please help.. I can't take it anymore TT

Edited by game of thrones, 05 September 2015 - 09:08 AM.

#3 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:12:31 AM

Posted 05 September 2015 - 09:10 AM

I do not use Dropbox or Google Drive.

I did, however, use Search to look for a few specific documents. Search worked and it showed them so I don't have this problem.

There is an alternative, one which I have used for many years. I rarely use the Windows search function. For me it is habit to use Everything Search.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/search/?keyword=everything+search

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users