Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable to install Windows 7 on new hard drive :(

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 Hakezu

Hakezu

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:53 AM

Posted 05 September 2015 - 03:03 AM

Hello everyone, just recently the hard drive from my Dell XPS 8300 failed so I went and got a brand new sata hard drive plus windows 7 OEM.

After replacing the hard drive and putting the windows cd in the driver, I booted up my computer and waitted for the install to go through. However depressingly to find out, my windows popped up an error.

Here's the things that I've tried:
> Switching cd/dvd to boot 1
> Hard-reset the cmos by removing battery
> Switched both sata ports of the DVD drive and hard drive to different ports.

The only things connected is my keyboard, monitor, and power supply.

I'm pretty sure the dvd drive is working since installation bar stopped around 15% of it.

Hard Drive is brand new, don't think it's faulty, but could be?

I'm pretty much at a lost here, I've looked all over google and even asked my tech savvy brother-in-law but have yet find a solution.

If there's anyone here who could help me out I would greatly appreciate it.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Hakezu

Hakezu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2015 - 04:52 AM

Also I have an old tower that has a dvd drive, if I try and install windows 7 using that computer, will the windows 7 still be usable on my newer tower?

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,452 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:53 PM

Posted 05 September 2015 - 07:04 AM

The answer to that is most likely no. This would only work if the computer hardware was identical in every way.

Is it possible to change DVD drives between computers?

What was the error that you received? Did it give you a blue screen? If it did write down the error and post it. Hopefully it is not 0x7B.

And Welcome to BC

Edited by hamluis, 07 September 2015 - 08:29 AM.

#4 Hakezu

Hakezu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2015 - 07:27 AM

Thank you John! Glad to be here!

I believe at first I had the 0x7b one, not sure when it changed(maybe after resetting the cmos?) The error I recieve now is 0xc00000e9, which I looked up and found that it's probably a hardware error somewhere. The old dvd drive uses pata cables, which my current pc does not support. Do you think it could be the dvd drive?

Edited by hamluis, 05 September 2015 - 11:30 AM.

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,452 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2015 - 07:54 AM

It's possible. You can create an iso from the DVD and use Rufus to create a bootable USB flash drive to do the install. Download Imgburn and during the install be sure to opt out of any optional programs it offers. Place the DVD in the burner. Run Imgburn and create the iso file. Use slow speed read and write speed like 4X if possible

Run Rufus. In the first dropdown box select your flash drive. Select MBR for a partition scheme. Where is shows Freedos in the dropdown box select image file. Click the folder icon and browse to the iso file you created. Press Start. Backup any data on the flash drive as it will be formatted. 

Some computers have a boot menu you can access. Attach the USB flash drive and then use the boot menu to select it. Hopefully the install will work using USB. Is this a Windows 7 SP1 install disk?

#6 Hakezu

Hakezu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2015 - 08:11 AM

correct, it a new windows 7 cd that I purchased during the new hard drive. I'll have to find a way to get rufus and img burn, my old computer has a broken ethernet port

Edited by hamluis, 05 September 2015 - 11:30 AM.

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,452 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2015 - 08:13 AM

Does it have wireless? Where are you posting from currently, a phone?

#8 Hakezu

Hakezu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2015 - 06:12 PM

correct, I'm currently on my phone. I used to have a usb internet adapter but it's been at least two years since I've used it, and I'm not sure where it's at. I'll see if I can find it some how, just not even sure if my old tower's dvd drive is functional

Edit: a friend of mines says he has a bootable usb drive, I'll see if I can burn an iso on it on his computer once he returns home from his trip and get back to you on how installing with an iso goes.

Edited by hamluis, 07 September 2015 - 08:30 AM.

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,452 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2015 - 08:09 AM

Make sure all connections to the Hard Drive is Sound. On a Dell you should be able to access a Diagnostic Menu by tapping F12 at boot but I am not sure if this diagnostic is on the hard drive of a dell or in firmware.

#10 Hakezu

Hakezu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2015 - 11:12 AM

Great suggestion! I went ahead and did a diagnostic and it came out as all tests passed. But that also included the cd rom which seems off since I'm not able to install using the dvd driver

Edited by hamluis, 07 September 2015 - 08:30 AM.

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,452 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2015 - 12:24 PM

I am not sure what is going on with the optical drive but you should not have a problem booting from a USB flash drive. When you friend said he had a bootable USB drive were they talking about a USB optical drive? I was suggesting a USB flash drive you would make bootable.

Just a note: If the computer has UEFI instead of legacy BIOS then a WIndows 7 disk will not boot. I had to modify a WIndows 7 install disk to boot from a UEFI computer but if you use Rufus it should boot the USB as it is compatible with UEFI.

If Rufus does not work take a look at this video. I used the method to create a bootable Windows 7 DVD.

#12 Hakezu

Hakezu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2015 - 02:42 PM

no no, I'm sure he meant a USB flash drive.
Currently I'm not sure if my PC is UEFI computer, looked up solutions to check but it seems I need an OS to do it.

Will try Rufus/USB method once friend is available for sure

Mod Edit:  Please...use the Reply button, not the Quote button, to comment - Hamluis.

Edited by hamluis, 07 September 2015 - 08:31 AM.

#13 Hakezu

Hakezu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2015 - 06:41 PM

Okay, I've managed to get windows 7 to sucessfully load using usb! But now there's another problem that arose when it loaded.

After clicking install now, I was given the option whether to click upgrade or custom.

When I click upgrade it states "the computer started using the windows installation disc"

and when I select custom and select my new hard drive, it says that the "Setup was unable to create a new system partition or locate an existing system partition" even though I click on new and make one.

I even pressed delete on the main one, but it would still say that I started installation with a windows disk

Edit: Found this while on google, not sure if it will work for me, but fixed the topic starter's situation, so I'm going to try it.
"Set your PC to boot from DVD via BIOS
Put the DVD in and let it load until you get to this screen:

Once at this screen, press: (SHIFT+F10) to get a CMD window

MAKE SURE YOU SELECT THE DRIVE YOUR INSTALLING WINDOWS TO NOT ANOTHER. In the CMD window, type in Each Command and Press <ENTER> Key as follows:

DiskPart <ENTER>
list disk <ENTER>
select disk 0 <ENTER>
clean <ENTER>
create partition primary align=1024 <ENTER>
format fs=ntfs <ENTER> (Will Take a While)
assign <ENTER>
active <ENTER>
exit <ENTER>
exit <ENTER>
After it completes, exit the INSTALL COMPLETELY and reboot.
Once you are back in, go about installing Windows just DO NOT ALLOW Windows to create a new partition, use the only one there.

Windows will now install
Hope this helps!"

Edited by Hakezu, 07 September 2015 - 07:06 PM.

#14 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,452 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2015 - 07:29 PM

From doing a search I believe this computer is UEFI. If it is, then the above commands will not work because UEFI needs a GPT formatted disk that has a minimum of three partitions. Windows is supposed to create these automatically. 

for a UEFI install see this page. On an non UEFI computer with a legacy BIOS Windows should create the partitions automatically when you press next without the need to create any partition. If there are no partitions shown on the drive simply press next. See this step by step guide.

Edited by JohnC_21, 07 September 2015 - 07:29 PM.

#15 Hakezu

Hakezu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2015 - 09:28 PM

So I just tried the method I mentioned above, which changed my disk type to system, however I'm still getting the "unable to create a new system partition or locate" error.

I was looking at the UEFI guide and it states on step 4 I should pick DVD or UEFI usb but I don't see a uefi usb as an option in the boot option.

Should I delete the partitioned disk that was changed with the command prompt? Or should I try something while it's there?

I'm honestly just thinking about exchanging this hard drive with a new one just to see if that does something.

Appreciate all the help given so far!

Edited by Hakezu, 07 September 2015 - 09:38 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users