Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BSOD Within Few Mins of Boot

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Khellendros

Khellendros

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:55 PM

Posted 04 September 2015 - 10:30 PM

Within a few mins of booting up, the screen goes black for about 15 seconds and then comes up with this tooltip error in the corner saying "Display driver stopped responding and has recovered."

I am then met with the following BSOD very shortly after:

qnbHrVb.jpg

I can't follow any of the posting instructions because there's not enough time before it crashes again. Does anyone know why this BSOD is happening?

My GPU drivers are definitely up-to-date.

Windows 7 x64 (Full Retail Version)

Windows 7 OS installed 2 years ago

Originally Windows Vista x64

Purchased 6 Years Ago

iBUYPOWER Desktop PC Gamer Supreme 928i

Intel Core i7 920 (2.66GHz)

6GB DDR3

800W Power Supply

Radeon R9 200

Edited by Khellendros, 04 September 2015 - 10:45 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:55 PM

Posted 06 September 2015 - 04:55 AM

Can you boot into Safe Mode?

Do you have another video card that you can try?

Have you checked inside the case to be sure that the cooling for the video card is working (be careful and don't touch anything inside the case while it's plugged in).  Should you need to go into the case, ensure that it's unplugged from the wall and that you are grounded before you touch anything inside the case.

If you can get into Safe Mode, open up Device Manager and uninstall the AMD display adapter (if it asks, also remove the driver software) and then reboot and see if it goes into normal mode then.

Please start on these troubleshooting suggestions (as you are able):  http://www.sysnative.com/forums/bsod-kernel-dump-analysis-debugging-information/35-video-tdr-timeout-0x116-0x117.html#post29532
Also, please monitor your temps with this free utility:  http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

Let us know what you are able to do and what you can't do.

Edited by usasma, 06 September 2015 - 04:58 AM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Khellendros

Khellendros
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2015 - 02:57 PM

When I boot into safe mode, the computer is freezing within a few minutes so I can't move the mouse and the keyboard buttons do nothing, So, I still can't execute any of the steps...

I don't have another video card to try. Could the video card just be dead? Isn't that strange if it still boots up fine at first?

I had checked the temperature with HW monitor on startup already. It is within very normal temperatures of about 35 C consistently up until the point it crashes.

Edited by Khellendros, 12 September 2015 - 02:59 PM.

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2015 - 04:29 PM

My first guess would be that there are problems with the video card.

But a guess isn't enough to warrant the purchase of a new card.

OTOH - if you don't have a card, try purchasing one from a shop that will allow you to return it for a full refund.  That way you can try it without any financial risk.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 Khellendros

Khellendros
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2015 - 02:03 PM

The GPU I had in the computer before this broke about three months ago. Putting a new card in fixed it up right away, but now I guess this is the same problem. Luckily, this card isn ow under warranty and I can replace it for free. I worry the new one will just fail again eventually too though. Is it possible that something else in the computer is causing graphics card failures? Or possibly a certain game/program?

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2015 - 03:56 PM

If graphics cards keep failing, you'd have to wonder why this is.

I doubt that the programs could break it - but running it overclocked or letting it overheat could cause a failure.

#7 Khellendros

Khellendros
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2015 - 10:20 PM

I checked the temperatures constantly and they never went very high. I didn't overclock either of them either. Hmm...

#8 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2015 - 05:08 AM

Check over in the Internal Hardware forums - they'll have more experience with this than I do.

Good luck!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users