Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Thin black/dead vertical pixel line

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 aworrier

aworrier

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:56 AM

Posted 04 September 2015 - 09:21 PM

On my 3 year old laptop (HP dvEnvy7), a very thin line of black pixels has showed up. The first time it showed up was on the red background login screen, and I think tapping the monitor made it go away, but that might've been coincidence. I just noticed it again in the same place where the color of the screen is green. I was running an MBAM scan while that showed up and the line went away, again I don't know whether that was coincidence. I've read that this problem could be caused "by the traces going bad in the video cable going from the LCD the the main board" due to the laptop lid opening and closing. The lid is getting a bit loose. Is this the answer or could there be something more malicious, as my paranoia comes back to haunt me?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,439 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:56 PM

Posted 04 September 2015 - 10:33 PM

If it's a single pixel width from edge to edge, it will almost certainly be a fault inside the LCD panel itself. Individual pixel drive signals are not carried on the LVDS cable connecting the panel to the mainboard, as that would require thousands of individual conductors. So a "hard fault" such as a complete black column or line is usually due to a bad connection in a heat bonded loom inside the panel, or an intermittent line or column driver IC which are also integrated into the bonded loom matrix inside the panel. Pressing or tapping the screen/frame can commonly make the symptom come and go in its early phases.

With that said, odd line-like faults can be a result of poor contact on the LVDS cable connector(s), and dismantling enough to gain access to this and cleaning the contacts with alcohol can solve it.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 Atomic77

Atomic77

• Members
  • 213 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:56 AM

Posted 08 September 2015 - 02:01 PM

I have never seen a line of dead pixels but I have heard of a stuck pixel before. On a old monitor before the flat screen lcd and led type I had a white line  several years ago.

ATOMIC77

​GEEKED AT BIRTH

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,439 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2015 - 06:21 PM

On a CRT monitor, a white line across the centre of a black screen was a failure of the vertical deflection (vertical collapse).

Top 5 things that never get done:

#5 Jaycan

Jaycan

• Members
  • 461 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2015 - 06:35 PM

Also multiple lines (not far apart) can mean Central Power Unit was failing or not able to keep up with output.

Often occurred when a 300 watt unit was installed (mainly XP problem) where at least a 500 or 600 watt unit was required.

Yours can relate from Video Card to Faulty Screen output ......

Acer Computer with LG Monitor and Toshiba Laptop with Windows 7.1

Windows 64bit  8.1 - Always fully updated

Firefox / Google Chrome / Internet Explorer Browsers

Usually a home helper here or with friends and nimble fingered ladies who would rather sew or dust, but not clean the bugs out of a computer ...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users