Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Watch Hulu On Ubuntu With Firefox

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,409 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 PM

Posted 04 September 2015 - 09:00 PM

I noticed that you can now watch Hulu commercial free. I stopped watching Hulu videos years ago because of so many long commercial breaks.

But when I ventured onto Hulu I discovered I couldn't watch the videos....no flash.

After a bit of time on the web I found out I could. Just installed hal and tested it...it works!

Here are the commands I used: (works for Mint, too)

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:mjblenner/ppa-hal
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install hal

I'll bet there are some of you who already knew this....but just in case others didn't use Hulu for the same reason I stopped using it and now

you can get it commercial free for $9.00 a month.....or suffer through the commercials while watching the videos that are available for free or all of the

videos with commercials for $7.00 a month.

SOURCE FOR THE COMMANDS: How To Watch Hulu On Ubuntu And Linux Mint

PS...for you non-USA readers...there is some info for you to be able to view Hulu in that link.

richdiesslin_jerrys_jewelry.jpg

Edited by buddy215, 04 September 2015 - 09:03 PM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:29 PM

Posted 05 September 2015 - 03:24 AM

buddy215, Thanks for the tip, this is a huge one for Ubuntu/Mint users! :bounce:

Hulu is one of the leading apps of this type. There is also Netflix, but the installation of WINE doesn't appeal to me. 

I'll have to take up my relative's offer on watching Hulu for free now, she offered me the login & password, but didn't use Windows enough to accept the offer. With this, I can. :)

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#3 buddy215

buddy215
  • Topic Starter

• 13,409 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 PM

Posted 05 September 2015 - 07:07 AM

Yes...Hal-lelujah !   You're welcome..

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#4 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,422 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:29 PM

Posted 07 September 2015 - 07:47 AM

buddy215, Thanks for the tip, this is a huge one for Ubuntu/Mint users! :bounce:

Hulu is one of the leading apps of this type. There is also Netflix, but the installation of WINE doesn't appeal to me. 

I'll have to take up my relative's offer on watching Hulu for free now, she offered me the login & password, but didn't use Windows enough to accept the offer. With this, I can. :)

Cat

You don't need WINE to watch Netflix on Linux anymore though. Wow, had used Hulu in a bit on Linux... that is kind of annoying they changed things so it won't work with out a hack now... bummer.

Edited by DeimosChaos, 07 September 2015 - 07:50 AM.

OS - Ubuntu 14.04/16.04 & Windows 10
Custom Desktop PC / Lenovo Y580 / Sager NP8258 / Dell XPS 13 (9350)

#5 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2015 - 02:41 AM

You don't need WINE to watch Netflix on Linux anymore though.

DC, you're right, Linux users no longer needs Windows to watch Netflix content, just didn't know it when I posted. 

These are signs that Linux is gaining in popularity, otherwise there'd be little need to make these options available to us. They (Hulu & Netflix) realize that we are a growing market. 

Now it's up to each & everyone of us to do our part in making sure growth continues, spread the good word & when possible, offer to assist with installing & configuring a Linux OS for others. :)

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#6 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,422 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2015 - 08:32 AM

You don't need WINE to watch Netflix on Linux anymore though.

DC, you're right, Linux users no longer needs Windows to watch Netflix content, just didn't know it when I posted. 

These are signs that Linux is gaining in popularity, otherwise there'd be little need to make these options available to us. They (Hulu & Netflix) realize that we are a growing market. 

Now it's up to each & everyone of us to do our part in making sure growth continues, spread the good word & when possible, offer to assist with installing & configuring a Linux OS for others. :)

Cat

Absolutely! Now only if the gaming sector would get a bit more attention. Steam has helped with that but it still ins't the greatest.

#7 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2015 - 01:27 AM

I once had the Steam client installed on Linux Mint 17.1 on my main PC for myself, as with the GTX 960 card I purchased, was supposed to get 'The Witcher 3' as a bundle, but don't know how to install it, even on Windows. Created an account on the Gog.com site to redeem my promo coupon, claimed the game, but there was no download link. Only a shopping cart. 

Though I didn't knock an egg off the card because of it, I should have, because of the principle of it all. There was a smaller EVGA model of the same series that has 4GB GDDR5 VRAM for just $25 more, though at 128 bit, likely wouldn't see a difference during daily use, maybe in games or graphic demanding work. I expect a Ti remix of the card near the end of the year with a 192 or 256 bit version offered. 

Also, am not sure if this was a playable game on Linux Mint, but was going to try anyway. 

I believe Linux has made great strides in the 6 years that I've ran it, more over the last three than the first, at least no longer does Mint, Ubuntu & others recommends the 32 bit version over 64, even if on a 64 bit computer. There is still much needed improvement needed for printing also, and to 'see' devices such as printers connected to a USB share port on the router. I've tried every workaround in the book & have yet to find a solution, have a Topic on the issue somewhere in this section. 

At least we're set for entertainment with Hulu & Netflix, progress is just that. We just have to keep shoveling. :)

Cat

#8 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,422 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2015 - 02:46 PM

I once had the Steam client installed on Linux Mint 17.1 on my main PC for myself, as with the GTX 960 card I purchased, was supposed to get 'The Witcher 3' as a bundle, but don't know how to install it, even on Windows. Created an account on the Gog.com site to redeem my promo coupon, claimed the game, but there was no download link. Only a shopping cart. 

Though I didn't knock an egg off the card because of it, I should have, because of the principle of it all. There was a smaller EVGA model of the same series that has 4GB GDDR5 VRAM for just $25 more, though at 128 bit, likely wouldn't see a difference during daily use, maybe in games or graphic demanding work. I expect a Ti remix of the card near the end of the year with a 192 or 256 bit version offered. 

Also, am not sure if this was a playable game on Linux Mint, but was going to try anyway. 

I believe Linux has made great strides in the 6 years that I've ran it, more over the last three than the first, at least no longer does Mint, Ubuntu & others recommends the 32 bit version over 64, even if on a 64 bit computer. There is still much needed improvement needed for printing also, and to 'see' devices such as printers connected to a USB share port on the router. I've tried every workaround in the book & have yet to find a solution, have a Topic on the issue somewhere in this section. 

At least we're set for entertainment with Hulu & Netflix, progress is just that. We just have to keep shoveling. :)

Cat

I am quite ecstatic that Netflix officially supports Chrome for Linux. Shame that Hulu went a bit backwards on this....

I had gotten the GTX980 and also got the Witcher for free.. too bad I had already pre-ordered it. Maybe you stick in the promo code and yet still have to check out (but will have a total of $0)? 

And, no, unfortunately Witcher 3 is not on Linux yet... Project Red said they were going to support Linux but haven't done so as of yet.

#9 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2015 - 01:38 AM

Shame that Hulu went a bit backwards on this....

Maybe so & in the future things could change, at the current time, seems to be the only way for Linux users to enjoy Huilu content. 

Cat

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users