Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Edit Startup List

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 KermitD

KermitD

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:54 AM

Posted 15 July 2006 - 11:10 PM

I have been asking a bunch of basic questions, recently. Here's another.

I recently reinstalled XP on my maching. I am now in the process of reinstalling most of the apps I had on the earlier version. it seems that most of them want to be run on startup so they will be ready to go if I call them.

I know there is way (without using Spybot S&D) that I can examine what all is trying to start when I boot up, and delete them from this menu. Something in XP that will allow me to do this. Heck, I've done it before. I just don't remember where to go, and what routine to call.
KermitD
Choices have consequences.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 magman68classic

magman68classic

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2006 - 11:13 PM

just search for everything in the startup list tab

Here

#3 bodger1946

bodger1946

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:54 AM

Posted 16 July 2006 - 12:16 AM

I think the poster was referring to the windows routine - msconfig.exe
This allows you to block or remove programs from the start up list.

However "HyJackThis" will block or remove other files that have found their way into the startup list and is my preferred method.

#4 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:54 AM

Posted 16 July 2006 - 12:25 AM

Are you talking about:
Start / Run / type in; msconfig / click OK / click the Startup tab

You can't delete them, but you can uncheck them, which will prevent them from running at startup.
Be sure to check every entry, as magman68classic suggested, before you uncheck them.
Unchecking the wrong entry, could cause your computer not to boot.

HijackThis should not be used as a startup monitor.
That is not what the program was designed for.

HijackThis is an ennumerator.
It lists what is found in certain areas of the registry, or system files, in an easily accessible manner, so that those familiar with the use and reading of HijackThis logs, and windows programs, can determine what is infecting a computer, and how to remove it.

It is not a removal tool.
It will indeed remove the entries listed, but that does not cure the underlying problem.
The problem must be properly identified first, and cured, prior to removing the entries with HJT.
Otherwise you leave the infection, and remove the keys which are needed to identify and remove it.

If you want a startup monitor, I suggest you use a program that was designed for that, such as Autoruns, or Startup Control Panel.

Edited by tg1911, 16 July 2006 - 12:35 AM.

MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2006 - 10:34 AM

Use Startup Inspector to vgiew the programs in your startup menu and to disable those you do not want that start with Windows.

Msconfig, the Windows utility was designed for testing, not for regulating your startup menu and it is more difficult to determine what you are disabling with it than with Startup Inspector which better identifies the entries with the programs they are connected to. In addition, Startup Inspector does not change the startup mode as msconfig does if you aren't careful.

Startup Inspector
And
Startup Monitor (a small freeware ap available on the same page to notify you and require your permission for any program to add itself to your startup menu)

http://www.windowsstartup.com/download.php

#6 KermitD

KermitD
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2006 - 11:34 PM

Thanks Enthusiast,

I downloaded Startup Inspector and Startup Monitor. Using Inspector, I removed Hp(printer) and Adobe Reader from my startup list (I did the whole thing - using "Consult" and "Apply"). When I went to Run>msconfig>Startup they were still checked. Somehow I didn't expect them to be. I guess my question is, Are they going run at boot-up or not?
KermitD
Choices have consequences.

#7 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:54 AM

Posted 19 July 2006 - 07:44 AM

Most programs have an option that startsa the program on startup. Just open the program go to options and remove the check moark from run on startup. When you reboot then the said program will not run on startup.

#8 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2006 - 02:51 PM

Thanks Enthusiast,

I downloaded Startup Inspector and Startup Monitor. Using Inspector, I removed Hp(printer) and Adobe Reader from my startup list (I did the whole thing - using "Consult" and "Apply"). When I went to Run>msconfig>Startup they were still checked. Somehow I didn't expect them to be. I guess my question is, Are they going run at boot-up or not?

I think you have to reboot before the effects take place.
I don't know if I would have disabled HP Printer though (unless you no longer use that printer).

There are undoubtedly others you can disable though - like Quicktime, Realplayer, Windows Office, etc.
Just be careful not to disable real time anti-spyware aps, your antivirus program or your firewall.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users