Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

WinPatrol and other Installers not opening/working

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Without_A_Monitor

Without_A_Monitor

• Members
  • 339 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 PM

Posted 04 September 2015 - 06:45 PM

I apologize if this thread is made in the correct sub-forum. For the latest WinPatrol version and the second-to-latest version, the installers won't open for me. I double-click them, but nothing happens besides my mouse changing to a busy mouse pointer for a second or two. After that, there is no window installer or anything. I don't know why this is happening.

I additionally contacted WinPatrol about the issue, but I was told that it is probably a security program blocking the installer from opening. I don't know, but I don't think that is the case. I double-checked EAM and ESET NOD32, but neither one of them seems to be the cause for the problem. If I double-click one of the older WinPatrol installers that is still on my computer, it opens as it should. I also have the same aforesaid issue with Tweaking.com's latest installer as well.

If any bleepng expert or any knowledgeable member on these types of issues could please offer any sort of advice/help, I'd be much obliged.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,470 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2015 - 07:12 PM

I have encountered a similar issue with the last couple of versions released...WinPatrol attempted to install right up to the Installation folder selection...then just quit. I also contacted WinPatrol Support and Bret Lowry said they made some changes in the installer package. After repeated diagnostic testing over the course of several weeks and various version releases, we were never able to pin point the problem. Bret also told me he thought it was a security program blocking the installation but after I disabled everything, I still had the same problem. However, previous versions before the installer package change installed fine without having to disable any security software.

As a workaround, Bret advised me to just make a copy of WinPatrol.exe and WinPatrolEx.exe from another computer where it successfully installed, then copy and drop them in the WinPatrol folder as a “sneaker net” upgrade.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 Without_A_Monitor

Without_A_Monitor
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 339 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2015 - 07:25 PM

quietman, thank you very much as usual for such an insightful and helpful reply. I was thinking that there was an issue with the installer, itself, or at least the installer and the version of Windows that I have (Vista,) or something along those lines; however, I'm nowhere near a bleeping expert.

I will have to try the "sneaker net" upgrade if I am going to update WinPatrol. As for Windows Repair (All-in-one,) I might try the portable version and extract the files to find out if that method works.

Thank you very much once again.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,470 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2015 - 07:32 PM

You're welcome.

BTW...I use Windows Repair (All-in-one) portable and it works fine.

#5 Without_A_Monitor

Without_A_Monitor
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 339 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2015 - 08:11 PM

Unless I'm doing something wrong here, which is quite possible, the portable version is not working for me either. The current version that I have is an older one. It works just fine, but the installer for the latest version doesn't seem to be working.

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,470 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2015 - 08:18 PM

When you extract the portable version (v3.43), it creates a folder named Tweaking.com - Windows Repair. Inside that folder, you just double-click on Repair_Windows.exe and the programs loads/opens.

#7 Without_A_Monitor

Without_A_Monitor
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 339 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2015 - 08:45 PM

A many thanks for clarifying what to do, quietman. Unfortunately, the cause is not my nitwittedness. It's just not opening, but I don't know why. I'm guessing that it might be related to the other aforementioned issues, but it's just a guess.

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,470 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2015 - 06:46 AM

Are you right-clicking and running as Admin?

#9 Without_A_Monitor

Without_A_Monitor
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 339 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2015 - 04:28 PM

Yeah, it just doesn't respond. I've only encountered this type of issue with WinPatrol and Windows Repair (all-in-one) thus far.

#10 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,470 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2015 - 05:14 PM

Right-clicking didn't help me either with the installer.

#11 Without_A_Monitor

Without_A_Monitor
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 339 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2015 - 06:42 PM

Haha, well, it's good that we're at least making progress in verifying the different methods in attempting to open the installers.

I mean, it's not a big deal at all about these installers not opening, especially if the cause(s) is not due to anything such an infection or corruption. It'd just be nice to upgrade/update to the latest versions, but oh well.

#12 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,470 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2015 - 06:41 AM

If there are enough reports to the developers, hopefully they will keep investigating and pin point the problem so it can be fixed.

#13 Without_A_Monitor

Without_A_Monitor
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 339 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2015 - 02:09 PM

Yes, indeed. Quite right. Although that is a good point, I won't be holding my breath or sending nightly emails to Ruiware or Tweaking.com to please address the issues.

Thanks very much once again, quietman. I hope that you're having a great holiday weekend.

I apologize to briefly divert off this thread's topic, but I just thought to ask you a quick question in regards to BitDefender (free) and Panda AV (free.) For Panda AV (free,) it is cloud based, correct? If so, does there need to be a constant internet connection for the AV to function (properly?)

I ask because I am attempting to decide between the two aforesaid AVs for my old man's laptop. I'm just trying to put something light, free and effective/efficient on there. If you have a few moments to reply, I'd really appreciate. If not, that's fine as well.

Edited by Without_A_Monitor, 06 September 2015 - 03:29 PM.

#14 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,470 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2015 - 06:34 PM

With Panda Cloud Anti-virus you do not need to be connected to the Internet all the time in order to be protected. Panda stores a local cache copy of "Collective Intelligence" for offline operation. If you are disconnected from the net, it still works in the background, checking files against its local cache of the most common threats in circulation.

Arguments against cloud-based antivirus.

A malware could cripple the Internet connection and render the cloud antivirus useless
Exactly the same thing could happen to the traditional signature based antivirus. If a malware gets through the traditional signature defenses and manages to disable your Internet connection, you will not be able to get signature updates from your AV vendor and therefore will not be protected against the new malware variants, rendering your traditional AV just as useless.

Cloud-based antivirus do not protect while offline
While this might be true of some cloud-based antivirus implementations, in the case of Panda Cloud Antivirus it is not true. Panda Cloud Antivirus has a local cached copy of the Collective Intelligence cloud servers. This local cache is tasked with detecting (even while not connected to the Internet) malware that is in the wild, non-PE malware and other threats. Unlike traditional signature updates, this local cache update is a moving target of what the community sees as circulating out there in the wild. Therefore it is able to efficiently protect against the important threats.

... Panda Cloud Antivirus has the best of both worlds; it includes local protection for offline and the most effective protection while online.

#15 Without_A_Monitor

Without_A_Monitor
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 339 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2015 - 06:43 PM

I read about how in general a cloud program could store a local cache, but I wasn't sure about Panda. Thanks yet again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users