Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Administrating Windows Xp Media Center

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 magman68classic

magman68classic

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:53 PM

Posted 15 July 2006 - 11:06 PM

So I want to know if there is a way I can make groups and administrate my computer at home as if it was a server. I took a class in school where we "administrated" a windows 2000 server, and I try to do the same thing at home on Media Center and it doesn't work the same. Can anyone help me?

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2006 - 10:45 AM

What exactly are you trying to do?

#3 magman68classic

magman68classic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2006 - 11:44 AM

I am the only person in my house that knows about computers. i have two younger brothers. my middle brother keeps going into my younger brothers pictures and changes his wallpaper. i want to set my middle brothers login to have very limited access to files on the computer just to piss him off. there are 2 groups on media center (administrator/limited). i want to make to make my middle brother a user with very little rights without admin (me) approval.

i hope that makes sense, if not i will try to re-explain it.

Thanks

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2006 - 02:03 PM

Windows Media Center is a version of XP Home and therefore does not have the security tools and options and availability of settings and controls that XP Pro has which limits your choice to making him a limited user.

Go to the control panel, click on "User Accounts" and change his account to a limited user, require passwords for all accounts and give each user a limited account.

You also should set up a new limited account for yourself as well for use while on the internet.

You should actually have two accounts even if you are the only one using the computer -

One account with administrator rights, and one limited user account.

An account with administrator rights should never be used for surfing the internet as any malware that may be accidentally or inadvertently downloaded while using an account with administrator rights will then have the unlimited rights of that account to infect your computer.

It enables malware to change settings, run all programs, install or infect all software and access all data including passwords and financial records.

Setting up and using limited user accounts in Windows XP will keep some spyware at bay because XP's limited user accounts do not have permission to
install new software or do anything else that a limited account cannot do.

Edited by Enthusiast, 16 July 2006 - 02:08 PM.

#5 magman68classic

magman68classic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2006 - 02:56 PM

I never thought about that. Thanks for telling me.

The only problem is I hate not having full rights to do whatever I want.

Thanks for the help.

#6 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2006 - 03:35 PM

You can have full rights by just switching accounts when you need admin rights or:

If you frequently need to log on as an administrator, you can use the runas command to start programs as an administrator.
To start a program as an administrator
1. In Windows Explorer, click the program executable file that you want to open.
2. Press SHIFT and hold, right-click the program icon, and then click Run as.
3. To log on using an Administrator account, click The following user.
4. In User name and Password, type the Administrator account name and password that you want to use.
Notes
Use this procedure if you want to perform administrative tasks when you are logged on as a member of another group, such as Users or Power Users.
If you want to run a program as a domain administrator, in User name, type the name of the domain followed by the administrator account name. For example:
DomainName\AdministratorName
Use of Run as is not limited to Administrator accounts.
If you try to start a program, such as an MMC console or Control Panel item, from a network location using Run as, it could fail if the credentials used to connect to the network share are different from the credentials used to start the program. The credentials used to run the program might not be able to gain access to the same network share.
If Run as fails, the Secondary Logon service may not be running. For more information, click Related Topics.
You can also use Run as from the command prompt.
To create a shortcut using the runas command
1. Right-click the desktop, point to New, and then click Shortcut.
2. In Type the location of the item, type runas and the command parameters you want to use. See examples in the following table.
To create a shortcut to A command prompt with administrator credentials
Type:
runas /user:ComputerName\administrator cmd
The title bar of this window will indicate the credentials under which it is running.

#7 magman68classic

magman68classic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2006 - 04:11 PM

ok, thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users