Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

VPN for a small business - Help!

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 pistol22cal

pistol22cal

• Members
  • 294 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:22 AM

Posted 04 September 2015 - 05:14 PM

I have a client that wants to do VPN for 3 offices - He wants to all be accessible from home and from within each office.

He wants to access POS systems and the entire network including CCTV of each office. 

I have not setup a VPN in years and the hardware has changed so much.

Can someone enlighten me?

I found this - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833704130&cm_re=VPN-_-33-704-130-_-Product

But my question is what is the client for these - I am curious how its actually setup.

I Love Lamp!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:22 AM

Posted 04 September 2015 - 06:13 PM

The unit comes with client vpn software that you use to connect via vpn to the router and then the internal network.

You don't need a vpn for connecting to CCTV.  Google port forwarding.

If the client wants to connect all three offices together they should be looking a putting in a Frame Relay network to create a mesh network [access to all sites from all sites]

If you want two sites to connect to the main site you might want to consider site to site vpns from the remote sites to the main site.

HTH

#3 pistol22cal

pistol22cal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 294 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2015 - 06:25 PM

Problem is he doesnt want to have a server and he doesn't want to invest in a frame relay - as far as i remember frame relays take the cooperation of the ISP to setup and that costs money last i checked.

I have been out of the business for about 5 years so i have lost a little bit to time and age and tech has changed a lot as well.

But what he wants is a frame relay without having a frame relay.......if that makes sense at all.

Basically he doesnt want to spend much money but still access everything from anywhere.

And VPN is not just about access its about security as well. If it where just access I could port forward and just use remote control like teamviewer.

Edited by pistol22cal, 04 September 2015 - 07:07 PM.

I Love Lamp!

#4 pistol22cal

pistol22cal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 294 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2015 - 07:36 PM

Consumer gear is soooo much different than commercial gear.

I Love Lamp!

#5 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:22 AM

Posted 08 September 2015 - 12:59 PM

If you really want to help your client out you need to investigate pricing and do a comparison concerning installations costs, monthly reoccurring costs, bandwidth available and features. 

The client also seems unclear what is meant by a server.  Even in a peer to peer network [workgroup/homegroup] you have a central pc that houses the accounting program and may contain the central depository of work files.  This is referred to as a server. 

Certainly the POS system isn't the only system the client is running. if it is then perhaps internet access at each location and a hosted [cloud based] POS is the right choice.

Depending on your area and assuming low end price range you have the following options:

Cable

T1's which come in two flavors, P2P and Frame Relay

DSL

Now with cable and dsl you have internet. But now you need to tunnel securely through the internet which is when a vpn comes in. 

VPN's come in a number of flavors but for your purposes you only have two

Client vpn

Site to Site vpn.

You can't tie a POS system together over a client vpn.  So you would need a central site that the other two sites connect to via site to site vpns. This means you have to have vpn site to site routers [don't confuse a vpn pass through router with this type of router] at each site.

Compare this to a frame relay network which requires a FR router at each site but connects all sites together though two sites would be routed through the main site. Something goes wrong you have technical support to call.

Really need to start with a needs / usage analysis.  Those results will guide to what system/setup is best for the client.

#6 pistol22cal

pistol22cal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 294 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2015 - 05:56 AM

I checked frame relay prices $200 a month not counting the approx $1200 installation costs.

Turns out all the customer wanted was to do multi-store quickbooks and had no idea what they needed or wanted or what they where asking me to fix.

But, I failed to ask why they thought they need a VPN at each store until yesterday.

I Love Lamp!

#7 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:22 AM

Posted 11 September 2015 - 10:15 AM

Lesson learned - most people have ideas but no way of knowing what they need, it's something we often do here, ask why? or what they are looking to accomplish? =)

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users