Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Haunted by ThinkVantage Toolbox

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 hedera

hedera

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:45 AM

Posted 04 September 2015 - 04:06 PM

I have a Lenovo ThinkPad T530, now out of warranty.  I long ago deleted much of the Lenovo bloatware, or thought I did.  Recently, though, CrystalDiskInfo warned me that the original hard drive was starting to develop bad sectors.  So I took the box to a local computer shop and had them clone my 500GB drive to a 750GB drive.  Worked fine except for one minor thing that is driving me nuts.

When I bring up Windows explorer, I don't get the usual Explorer icon.  I get a little red icon and a notice that ThinkVantage Toolbox is in charge.  It uses this shortcut (in the Properties of the Explorer taskbar window):

C:\Windows\explorer.exe ::{26EE0668-A00A-44D7-9371-BEB064C98683}\2\::{A8A91A66-3A7D-4424-8D24-04E180695C7A}\Provider%5CMicrosoft.Base.DeviceDisplayObjects//DDO:%7B00000000-0000-0000-FFFF-FFFFFFFFFFFF%7D\cat{8AA6B0C2-14A6-4da8-BF36-F7D93ACE9ACE}

My first thought:  uninstall the Toolbox.  Well, it isn't on the list of installed programs in Control Panel.  I ran Speccy to get a list of installed programs, and it isn't there either.  BUT - it shows in my start menu!  I can bring it up.  The system WASN'T doing this before the clone, and I have no reasons to think the shop would have done anything but run a clone program, although I can ask them.  There's no folder under either c:\Program Files or c:\Program Files (x86) that holds the toolbox.  

How do I delete it if I can't find it??  Any ideas? 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:45 PM

Posted 04 September 2015 - 05:50 PM

This sounds like some remnants of 'Toolbox' were still on the system when it was cloned and somehow they have become more active. It sounds like registry entries. I suggest you download, install and run the 'Revo' uninstaller, a free download you can get from BC :-

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/revo-uninstaller/

This is a very effective utility for removing left over fragments of applications and, if you don't want to keep it, it comes with a very effective self-uninstaller.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 hedera

hedera
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2015 - 07:41 PM

Very possible.  Thank you, I'll give Revo a try.

#4 hedera

hedera
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2015 - 07:57 PM

Umm, after installing Revo freeware - it will uninstall a program if it finds it on the drive.  I've looked at all the programs on the drive, and Lenovo Thinkvantage Tools (which is what it really calls itself) is NOT there.  I can only see the connection to Windows Explorer when I rightclick on the icon in the task bar and then rightclick again and open "Properties."  I tried the "Hunter" mode, but it has to have something visible on the taskbar.  I made "Lenovo Thinkvantage Tools" visible on the taskbar and "Hunter" mode said "No installation package found."  Somehow I'm defining this wrong.

Edited by hedera, 04 September 2015 - 07:58 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users