Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Does anyone still use the tool Runscanner: Freeware startup and hijack analyzer?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 midimusicman79

midimusicman79

• Members
  • 813 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:31 PM

Posted 04 September 2015 - 09:00 AM

Hi all!

I am constantly searching for new anti-malware tools to try, in order to subsequently clean my computer for malware. This is based on the fact that all tools have their own different threat database, and as long as I remember to run ERUNT and set a System Restore Point on beforehand, I can safely search for malware and in case of doubt about threat removal, I can ask the BC Forum for help.

So, now I am wondering: Does anyone still use the tool Runscanner: Freeware startup and hijack analyzer?

Thank you very much in advance!

Regards,

midimusicman79

Edited by midimusicman79, 05 September 2015 - 08:52 AM.

MS Win 10 Pro 64-bit, EAM Pro/EEK, MB 3 Free, WPP, SWB Free, CryptoPrevent Free, NVT OSA and Unchecky, WFW, FFQ with CanDef, uBO, Ghostery, Grammarly Free and HTTPS Ew. Acronis TI 2018, K. Sw. Upd. AM-tools: 9-lab RT BETA, AdwCleaner, Auslogics AM, aswMBR, Avira PCC, BD ART, catchme, Cezurity AV, CCE, CKS, ClamWin P., Crystal Sec., DDS, DWCI, EMCO MD, eScan MWAV, ESS/EOS, FGP, FMTB, FRST, F-SOS, FSS, FreeFixer, GMP, GMER, hP BETA, HJT, Inherit, JRT, K. avz4, KVRT, K. TDSSKiller, LSP-Fix, MB 3 Free, MBAR BETA, MA Stinger, NMC, NoBot, NPE, NSS, NVT MRF (NMRF), OTL, PCC, QD, RCS, RSIT, RKill, Rs, SC, SR, SAP, SVRT, SAS, SL, TMHC, TSA ART, UHM, Vba32 AR, VRS, WR (AiO), Xvirus PG, ZAM, ZHPC, ZHPD and Zoek. I have 23 Years of PC Experience. Bold = effective.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,081 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:31 AM

Posted 04 September 2015 - 02:12 PM

Runscanner, like Hijackthis, only scans certain areas of a computer's system/registry to help diagnose the presence of undetected malware in known hiding places. Given the sophistication of malware hiding techniques used by attackers in today's environment, both tools are limited in their ability to detect infection and generate a report outside these known hiding places. This limitation has made the usefulness of such tools nearly obsolete since their logs cannot reveal all the malware residing on a computer. As such,they have been replaced by other preferred tools like DDS, FRST, OTL, Zoek and RSIT that provide comprehensive logs with specific details about more areas of a computer's system, files, folders and registry keys which may have been modified by malware infection.

Unless you know how to read and analyze logs from DDS, FRST, OTL, Zoek or RSIT there's no point in downloading and using them. If those tools are needed for a malware infection you should seek assistance from an expert who will advise you accordingly. These are powerful tools which rely on trained experts to interpret the log entries, determine what needs to be fixed and plan a strategy for disinfection. Using such tools requires advanced knowledge about the Windows Operating System and can cause system damage if used incorrectly. If you do not have advanced knowledge about computers or training in the use of these tools, you should NOT attempt to use them or fix anything without consulting a expert as to what to fix.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 midimusicman79

midimusicman79
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 813 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:31 PM

Posted 05 September 2015 - 09:03 AM

Hi, quietman7!

Thank you for the prompt and clarifying reply! :)

Thank you very much for the help! :) The issue has been successfully resolved! :thumbup2:

Regards,

midimusicman79

Edited by midimusicman79, 05 September 2015 - 09:03 AM.

MS Win 10 Pro 64-bit, EAM Pro/EEK, MB 3 Free, WPP, SWB Free, CryptoPrevent Free, NVT OSA and Unchecky, WFW, FFQ with CanDef, uBO, Ghostery, Grammarly Free and HTTPS Ew. Acronis TI 2018, K. Sw. Upd. AM-tools: 9-lab RT BETA, AdwCleaner, Auslogics AM, aswMBR, Avira PCC, BD ART, catchme, Cezurity AV, CCE, CKS, ClamWin P., Crystal Sec., DDS, DWCI, EMCO MD, eScan MWAV, ESS/EOS, FGP, FMTB, FRST, F-SOS, FSS, FreeFixer, GMP, GMER, hP BETA, HJT, Inherit, JRT, K. avz4, KVRT, K. TDSSKiller, LSP-Fix, MB 3 Free, MBAR BETA, MA Stinger, NMC, NoBot, NPE, NSS, NVT MRF (NMRF), OTL, PCC, QD, RCS, RSIT, RKill, Rs, SC, SR, SAP, SVRT, SAS, SL, TMHC, TSA ART, UHM, Vba32 AR, VRS, WR (AiO), Xvirus PG, ZAM, ZHPC, ZHPD and Zoek. I have 23 Years of PC Experience. Bold = effective.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,081 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:31 AM

Posted 05 September 2015 - 09:14 AM

You're welcome.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif