Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to speedup windows 10

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 dannyboy950

dannyboy950

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:15 AM

Posted 04 September 2015 - 08:45 AM

An old member returning after many years.

I recently installed 10 on a newish computer but it is slow as molasses. Thinking of useing the start up list and stop some things from auto starting.

Will the list still be good for Win 10?

HP 15-f009wm notebook AMD-E1-2100 APV 1Ghz Processor 8 GB memory 500 GB Hdd

Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa Cinamon

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,752 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2015 - 08:49 AM

Hello Dannyboy.... after installing W10, did you install the motherboard and chipset drivers for your computer?  Without those your computer will never run correctly and it's a common oversight. W10 has generic drivers to get you up and running, but for your system to function properly you really need those system drivers.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#3 BIGBEARJEDI

BIGBEARJEDI

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:15 AM

Posted 04 September 2015 - 09:04 AM

Also, what version of Windows came on the computer originally?  Make/Model of your computer would also be helfpu for us to make any kind of diagnosis.  Is this an OEM computer (Dell, HP, Acer) or a self-built PC you put together? 

How much RAM do you have in this computer?  You'll need to have at least 4GB of RAM in order to run Win10 in most computers; less will work, but it's gonna be slow.  Just like with all previous versions of Windows (say WinXP to Win7), you need to have sufficient RAM and Hard Drive capabilities to have the OS (Windows) work reasonably.  You said that you have a Modern computer--what year did you purchase or build it in?  Computers built prior to 2006 won't even run Win10.

<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>

#4 dannyboy950

dannyboy950
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2015 - 11:12 AM

The computer came with win 8 Just activated it a few months ago. Have only been useing it a few days. My other computer was Win vista but it got soo infected or hacked I finally lost the use of it ,I .Will probably just format and reinstall something newer.

Hp 15-f009 Hard drive is big enough but may add new memory. 4 Gig  IIRC

#5 Drew1903

Drew1903

• Banned
  • 1,052 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2015 - 01:09 PM

The computer came with win 8 Just activated it a few months ago. Have only been useing it a few days. My other computer was Win vista but it got soo infected or hacked I finally lost the use of it ,I .Will probably just format and reinstall something newer.

Hp 15-f009 Hard drive is big enough but may add new memory. 4 Gig  IIRC

A machine can, certainly, be quicker w/ additional RAM.  Although Win10 will run quite nicely w/ 2GB, a machine should be quicker w/ more RAM.  Also, if 64 bit it can & will use all of 4GB or even more, unlike 32 bit.  If you add RAM it is best to use matched pairs ie 2 matched 2GB sticks for example.

You are right about not having things running @ Startup.  > Task Manager > Start-up tab.  Another thing that helps speed is keeping 'Junk' (unneeded) files cleaned out... Disc Cleanup & CCleaner help towards this.

Edited by Drew1903, 04 September 2015 - 01:12 PM.

#6 dannyboy950

dannyboy950
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2015 - 02:52 PM

I just spent about 2 hours installing a driver for my audio that HP said I needed. 278.9MB for a driver, good grief that is as big as most programs I have installed before.

Good grief.  Anybody know what type of memory this thing uses. Guess I know what I am getting after my next disability check at the end of the month.

#7 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,752 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2015 - 05:17 PM

Again.....if you don't get those drivers for your motherboard and Windows 10 you are never going to achieve anything. Go to your manufacturer's website, find the model and hope like crazy they have updated the drivers for W10.  If not, you are up a creek without a paddle. Best to roll back to Windows 8, hopefully you have a restore partition that you can use. If not.....

I just this week had a wonderful 80 year old woman contact me; she had a Vista HP computer and was getting crashes and ads popping up on the screen so she called HP help. Instead of cleaning her system of adware, those clowns talked her into upgrading to Windows 8 and sold her W8 CDs for $170 plus shipping. Do you believe this? Then the "tech" walked her through installing Windows 8. He made a separate 13gig partition on her 400gig HDD and installed W8 on it. Why? Heck if I know. Of course, it took the entire partition so she could not install anything else on it. And it ran like crap. Half her USB ports didn't work, it sometimes BSOD'd and sometimes would not boot at all. Because he made a new partition, it nuked her restore partition that was on her HDD. So she had no recourse.

I searched the HP website for her make& model, and guess what?  No Windows 8 or 10 system drivers. They only had up to Windows7. And HP sold her an OS that they knew had no system drivers for it??? Their own product??

Anyway, I wiped her drive of the (by now) trashed OS, installed W7, downloaded and installed the drivers from HP and the thing runs fast and clean and she is happy. She can email her grandchildren again and visit her favorite gardening websites.

Case in point.

Edited by ranchhand_, 04 September 2015 - 05:47 PM.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#8 dannyboy950

dannyboy950
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2015 - 06:43 PM

I used the HP tool from their web site to research this computer. I can not find any drivers for the mother board or even what motherboard and memory it does have.

They just do not seem to list that info. I even had to D/L some stuff to get their own tool to work.LOL

Guess I may be SOL.

Seperrate issue will programs /apps like no-ads or ADBlok + work on this new EDGE browser?

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,657 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:15 AM

Posted 04 September 2015 - 06:56 PM

Addons or BHOs are not supported on Edge. You can still use IE which supports addons. People have reported slow bootup and shut down times with 10 is coming out with a major update in late October or November that should solve the reported problems.

What is the make and model of the Vista computer? Do you still have it?

Edit: you also have 30 days to revert to your previous OS. 8.1 is supported until 2023.  By that time you will probably have new computer.

Edited by JohnC_21, 04 September 2015 - 07:00 PM.

#10 panthera0404

panthera0404

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:15 AM

Posted 04 September 2015 - 07:19 PM

just do a  clean install. i also had trouble after upgrading my win 8.1. to windows 10. despite i have ssd it was terrible slow. i just did clean install and it was perfect. if you upgraded , you do not have to enter key, just skip it and windows will activate.

#11 dannyboy950

dannyboy950
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2015 - 07:23 PM

Yes I still have the HP Pavillion with Vista looking to find a new OS for it thinkg of going open source this time.

That poor thing has so much malware or hacked so bad so far nothing has been able to remove it all.

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,657 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2015 - 07:35 PM

Head over to the Linux Forum. A lot of good people there that will give you plenty of good ideas. Depending on the specs of the computer linux should run great. It would need at least 1GB or RAM. Go linux on the Vista computer and you wont look back. Vista was junk.

#13 dannyboy950

dannyboy950
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2015 - 07:55 PM

To me everything since XP has been junk. Really liked win 2000 also. What can I say I am old codger stuck in the past. LOL

To me a computer should be a computer and a cell phone should be a phone for makeing phone calls.

Edited by dannyboy950, 04 September 2015 - 07:58 PM.

#14 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,657 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2015 - 08:04 PM

To me everything since XP has been junk. Really liked win 2000 also. What can I say I am old codger stuck in the past. LOL

To me a computer should be a computer and a cell phone should be a phone for makeing phone calls.

:thumbsup: You can say that again.

#15 Drew1903

Drew1903

• Banned
  • 1,052 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2015 - 11:37 PM

I used the HP tool from their web site to research this computer. I can not find any drivers for the mother board or even what motherboard and memory it does have.
They just do not seem to list that info. I even had to D/L some stuff to get their own tool to work.LOL
Guess I may be SOL.
Seperrate issue will programs /apps like no-ads or ADBlok + work on this new EDGE browser?

If wants to know what components are in a machine Everest will do it. Look for Everest.com

No, not in Edge. But the stuff those things address one won't see in Edge in the 1st place
Will take this opportunity to, also, say  Edge is so very much superior to IE & other browsers.

Edited by Drew1903, 05 September 2015 - 01:46 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users