Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop Overheating

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Jcas101

Jcas101

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:18 PM

Posted 04 September 2015 - 08:31 AM

I've been dealing with my laptop overheating for a while now, and I haven't been able to fix it even with the help of a friend who works in IT.

Laptop Details:

Samsung NP-P580
CPU i5 M480 dual core
integrated Geforce 330M
4GB ram DDR3
Win7 Home

Overheating problem history:

The computer was fine until the age of about 2, when it started switching off due to overheating. Blasting the interior with a compressed air can solved the problem until about a year later. The cpu cores went up to 90-95 celcius while performing tasks like playing games or rendering videos. The computer switches off when it hits 105.

Attempted solutions:

Lately I've blown all the dust out etc. but it didn't work. So I got the thermal paste replaced, and that didn't work either. Now its around 50-60c idle, 80+ while browsing the web and it hits 100-103c when watching a movie. I'm scared to even try opening a game, might break the computer.

I always make sure the pc is well ventilated, that the air exits are always unblocked and I also keep my fan blowing on it full power (which does nothing btw). I've had the computer opened and dusted out, all is supposed to be clean from dust.

I don't think it's the laptop's fan, although I've tried checking the fan speed using SPEEDFAN program but it doesn't detect it, neither does HWMonitor, and there is no info in the BIOS either.

My IT friend checked if there were any unwanted programs or processes open, or viruses. There aren't any. I keep my computer clean, defrag it, scan it etc.

Please, I am desperate. Any ideas on what could be the problem?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,495 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:18 AM

Posted 04 September 2015 - 09:44 AM

The big, huge, gigantic and traditional problem with laptops is and will always be overheating. Technology has rammed all the components of a desktop into a small space and hopes for the best. Sometimes the engineering works great, other times it doesn't. It heavily depends on the engineering setup of the manufacturer. A couple of years ago HP put out a series of laptops that consistently overheated. The one I got for my daughter constantly overheated and shut down. It ran only on high velocity fan and has an irritating whine that is distracting. We went aroung and around with HP on this, eventually going up to the HP regional manager for the Midwest. They eventually, grudgingly, exhanged it for a new one and it did exactly the same thing right out of the box. HP damn well knew there was a problem with these units but they were heavily committed financially and didn't want to lose their profit line. The regional manager washed her hands of it and said there was nothing more she would do. "So sue me".

One of the first things owners attempt is to reset the CPU/heatsink, and rarely does that make a difference. For overheating there are only two options as follows:

>  clean dust out; you did this and that helped you per your post. I suggest removing the cover of the lap so you can better access the heatsink and interior. You also had this done.

>  increase air flow:

*get a laptop cooling pad with mounted fans to sit your laptop on in an attempt to increase airflow. Sometimes this works, sometimes not. if you regularly take your lap to other locations this is a nuisance.

*replace your internal fan(s) with higher velocity fans to increase airflow. Again, this can turn into a serious project and may or may not be possible depending on the engineering of your lap. it can also substantially increase the noise, which can really be irritating. Something to check is if the bearings on your cooling fan have worn and the fan has lost RPMs (IOW, is turning slower). Replace that fan.

>  Check your CMOS settings, and make sure that highest RPM fan settings have priority. i sounds like you did this, but I thought I would cover it anyway. There are variations on how this is set up in the CMOS depending on your BIOS, but it generally is under "Health" or somesuch header. Some "Cool & Quiet" features will lower the RPMs of the fan(s) under a certain temperature, and boost the RPMs when a target temperature is reached.

Other than that, I have never found any other ways to control overheating in a lap, and I have a lot of them come over my workbench. I remember once one client mentioned that his office (in his home) was air conditioned, so I suggested he put a flexible 4" air duct hose running from the AC vent in the room to the bottom of the lap, and it worked. His temps lowered. Obviously it was a lame way to fix it but it enabled him to use his expensive lap. I am not sure what he did in winter!

Edited by ranchhand_, 04 September 2015 - 09:46 AM.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#3 Jcas101

Jcas101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:18 PM

Posted 04 September 2015 - 11:54 AM

thanks for the reply.

I've tried a cooling pad, made almost no difference (1-2 degrees less).

I've also checked the bios, had a 'silent fan' mode which I turned off but made no difference at all to either the fan speed or the overheating. And there's no mention of CMOS or RPM in the bios, it has barely any options and is up to date.

something I've noticed: looking at the graphs in task manager, my CPU usage shoots up constantly whenever I'm doing anything. Even simply opening chrome skyrockets it to over 80% usage and over 90 degrees. Even while browsing the it peaks often, and during any other task really.

Edited by hamluis, 04 September 2015 - 03:51 PM.
Removed unnecessary quotebox - Hamluis.

#4 Talvi

Talvi

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:18 PM

Posted 08 September 2015 - 08:43 AM

Hi Jcas101

...something I've noticed: looking at the graphs in task manager, my CPU usage shoots up constantly whenever I'm doing anything. Even simply opening chrome skyrockets it to over 80% usage and over 90 degrees. Even while browsing the it peaks often, and during any other task really.

I had a similar problem. In task manager I noticed that a certain Svchost.exe file associated with the browser, amongst other things, was to blame. I loaded my browser (FF) via a clean profile; uninstalled Avast!; disabled autoupdates; scanned with Malwarebytes and other virus and spyware progs. Nothing changed. That svchost file always came back to hog up to 60% of the CPU!

Finally I installed and ran Malwarebytes anti-rootkit Beta program. It found no threats. However after I ran it the problem svchost prog came back under control, mostly using no CPU at all!! No idea what Malwarebytes Anti-rootkit Beta did, as it reported (twice) it had done nothing, but the use of it solved the problem.

So there you have it FWIW. It is a Beta software release so .... good luck!

I'm now going to try cleaning my laptop (Acer Aspire One).

Oh and there's also a nice program called SmartFan that allows you to monitor temperatures and fans speeds and even to change the fan speed settings should you wish. I just monitor the temps.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users