Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Optional Update (KB3083324)

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 sikntired

sikntired

• Members
  • 958 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:19 AM

Posted 04 September 2015 - 07:47 AM

With the recent advent of MS sending out "tracking updates" for Windows 7 users, I have become leery of any updates including this one which is optional. Not very much info and pretty ambiguous.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3083324

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,240 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:19 AM

Posted 04 September 2015 - 08:00 AM

I pretty much hide all optional updates and only do Security Updates. As far as Optional Updates go, I look through each and decide if I really need it. For instance I did not install an optional update regarding the Russian Ruble or Lithuanian currency.

I do not understand what Microsoft is doing with these Windows Update Client updates. KB3075851 was for August and now they are pushing another for September? I update fine and hide these Client updates. I also make sure I check Do not install updates, only notify me and I uncheck Give me Recommended updates the same way I receive important updates.

Edited by JohnC_21, 04 September 2015 - 08:01 AM.

#3 reckonankit

reckonankit

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:49 PM

Posted 04 September 2015 - 08:06 AM

Hi sikntired

news.softpedia.com/news/microsoft-releases-quiet-update-for-windows-7-says-nothing-about-included-changes-490903.shtml

#4 sikntired

sikntired
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 958 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2015 - 08:49 AM

Thanks for the link reckonankit . But still not quite forthcoming as was observed by the author.

As we have done in the past, we post KB articles relevant to most updates which we’ll deliver with Windows as a service. Depending on the significance of the update and if it is bringing new functionality to Windows customers, we may choose to do additional promotion of new features as we deploy them,” a Microsoft spokesperson was quoted as saying last month.

This isn’t obviously the best approach, given the fact that users need to know what they install on their computers, so posts on UserVoice that call for the company to provide change logs for every update have already received thousands of votes.

In the meantime, Microsoft doesn’t seem to be willing to change its strategy regarding Windows update information, and it has only said that, at some point in the future, enterprise customers could indeed get some release notes, but only for certain updates

Significance of the update?? To whom, MS or the user? I still just can't wrap my head around MS and their failure to fully explain why users need the updates.

Portions of the article that reckonankit gave a link to are posted above.

Edited by sikntired, 04 September 2015 - 08:51 AM.

#5 jerrycjr

jerrycjr

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2015 - 10:13 AM

Clicking the 'More Information' on Windows Update (WU), lists the files in the update (farther down). 

I noticed this one:

Wu.upgrade.ps.dll   7.6.7601.18954

I'm thinking that this is more 'nagging nonsense' for Win10.  While I'm not sure, I'm hiding it.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,240 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2015 - 06:25 PM

Clicking the 'More Information' on Windows Update (WU), lists the files in the update (farther down). 

I noticed this one:

Wu.upgrade.ps.dll   7.6.7601.18954

I'm thinking that this is more 'nagging nonsense' for Win10.  While I'm not sure, I'm hiding it.

That dll file is at the top of the list of this update that enables you to update to later version of Windows. Notice the version numbers. Go figure.

More detail on the dll file which references the old version. This is a perfect reason I do not install important/optional updates unless I know I absolutely need it.

http://www.freefixer.com/library/file/wu.upgrade.ps.dll-178878/

#7 ®ich

®ich

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:19 PM

Posted 05 September 2015 - 02:32 PM

Weird thing just happened. I had parked (not installed and not hidden either) kb3083324 to see what developed, on two W7 32bit Pro systems. And microsoft have pulled (removed them) from the update list while checking for updates a few minutes ago.

#8 jerrycjr

jerrycjr

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2015 - 05:47 PM

Rich,

They also just recycled the Silverlight update as well as the 'important' one to fix the update client (Yeah, Right!)  Hid them AGAIN!

#9 sikntired

sikntired
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 958 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2015 - 07:17 AM

JohnC thanks for the info. Probably won't be installing any updates until I'm assured that they are absolutely necessary.

Rich, I hid KB3083324.

jerrycjr, "ditto" on that as well.

#10 MH957

MH957

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2015 - 09:22 PM

This was "upgraded" to important as of today's patches.  The two optional telemetry updates (KB3075249/KB2080149) are now recommended instead of optional.

#11 jerrycjr

jerrycjr

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2015 - 09:20 AM

249 and 149 are optional for me.  They tried to slip the 3083324 as important, along with numerous security updates.  I'm going to check out Ubuntu!

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,240 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2015 - 09:52 AM

249 and 149 are optional for me.  They tried to slip the 3083324 as important, along with numerous security updates.  I'm going to check out Ubuntu!

I run Ubuntu dual boot with XP and really like it. You can also check out Linux Mint, both Mate and Cinnamon versions to see which you prefer.

#13 bitesized1612

bitesized1612

• Members
  • 161 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2015 - 12:45 AM

I've been removing and hiding these updates because GWXUX.exe always crashes on my computer.  <_<  At first I was blase about it and set on ignoring the optionals for the next 6 mos, but now if it's sneaking in with the "Important" updates I have to put more effort to culling them out. Kind of annoying!

[...] I'm going to check out Ubuntu!

Linux Mint is a good alternative if Ubuntu/Unity doesn't work out for you! MATE edition is really nice if you're trying to move directly from the Windows XP/Vista/7 GUI.

Windows 7 Professional SP1 (64-bit) // HP EliteBook 8460p = 2.50GHz + 8GB RAM 

AVAST! - Google Chrome & Mozilla Firefox - LibreOffice - Rainmeter

Currently Testing: Linux Mint 17.3 XFCE on a Dell Inspiron 531 (2.1Ghz +3GB RAM)

#14 cm4coc

cm4coc

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2015 - 11:31 AM

I can assure you all these updates to the Windows update agent are legit and I would recommend you all apply them to improve efficiency of the Windows update agent.  Around 5-6 months ago a bug in the Windows update agent caused windows update scans to crash on 90% of machines in our enterprise environment resulting in none being able to be patched.  We were not the only ones and these WUA releases are Microsoft's fix to the issue.  It mostly affected 32-bit Win 7 clients running out of memory because of 32-bit limitations with memory addressing but the improvements in these updates do speed things up and improve scan efficiency for 64-bit clients as well.

#15 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,553 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2015 - 11:40 AM

There is no reason at all...to install any optional update...unless it's purely the whim of the user.  "Optional" means not necessary, as opposed to "critical" which means essential (usually from a Windows security aspect.

All this ado about optional updates...well, I think fooling around with such is likely to result in self-inflicted wounds.

If the update presents a feature that a given user desires, then he/she is free to install such.  If no benefit is presented by the optional update...it should be left uninstalled, IMO.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users