Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

From the old HD-connection to the new one

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 antoniuni

antoniuni

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:18 PM

Posted 04 September 2015 - 06:56 AM

Somebody can inform me if there is a possibility to use the old HD-s with the flat cables through an adapter cable in my new system (computer)? 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,630 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:18 AM

Posted 04 September 2015 - 07:02 AM

It is possible with an adapter. There a two kinds. This one which allows you to use it bidirectional which means you can attach it to an IDE port on the motherboard or to the back of a hard drive and this one that only attaches to the back of the hard drive. Just make sure you have the room to add the adapter. You will be losing speed vs a SATA drive though.

Edit: The second link is incorrect. That is for connecting a SATA drive to an IDE port, not IDE to SATA, sorry.

Edit Edit: You cannot use this adapter to boot the hard drive. You can only use it to add an IDE drive to a SATA port as a data drive.

Here is a video on the first adapter I linked to.

Edited by JohnC_21, 04 September 2015 - 07:18 AM.

#3 antoniuni

antoniuni
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2015 - 07:16 AM

THANKS a lot JohnC_21! :clapping:

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,630 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:18 AM

Posted 04 September 2015 - 07:22 AM

No problem, just be sure you do not use it to boot a hard drive as I am pretty sure that would not work. And, sorry for posting the adapter (second link) that is not for your issue. As you can see form the video the adapter sticks out a ways from the rear of the hard drive. Check your clearances.

Edited by JohnC_21, 04 September 2015 - 07:23 AM.

#5 antoniuni

antoniuni
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2015 - 07:37 AM

:thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users