I thought I would write a small post about the basics of a computer since I didn't see one pinned in the forums.
First lets start with what is a computer --- not the definition ---
A computer is a Tower filled with computer parts that general sits near your desk and you operate it using some form of a keyboard and mouse.
Which leads us to the components
1. Computer Enclosure - This is the box that holds your computer parts, it is not called a modem. --- Modem is totally different.
2. Motherboard - This is the back bone of your computer, this is what all the components attach and plug into on the inside of your computer.
3. Hard drive - This is the storage of your computer. Think of it like a warehouse of all your files.
4. RAM - Also known as memory. RAM stands for random access memory and think of this as you would forklifts that are going around a warehouse, where the warehouse is your hard drive. The more forklifts the better, to a certain point.
5. Optical Drive - This is the component in which you place CD's and DVD's.
6. Graphics Card - This helps your computer play demanding graphic applications like video games or use software that requires video intense processing.
7. Integrated Graphics - This is graphics that is built into your motherboard, or is a part of your CPU. These are known as APU's, this is normally not as good as a Graphics Card.
8. CPU - The control center of your computer - The Brain!
9. Power Supply - Provides DC power to your computer - converts the AC current to DC for your computer - can range from a AC adapter 65w to full blown 2000w soul crushing monster.
10. Keyboard and Mouse - This allows you to input information.
This is just the basics and I really hope this helps!
NOTE* Laptops - Tablets - Smart Phones - Etc. are also computers ----- These devices are not covered in the above information.
Edited by pistol22cal, 04 September 2015 - 07:37 PM.