Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BSOD Critical Process Died

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 jban0811

jban0811

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:52 AM

Posted 04 September 2015 - 01:46 AM

Hi, I've been wrestling with this problem for last 2 days and I don't seem to be able to find an answer anywhere hence I'm posting here. Firstly, I can't generate the dumpfile as I can't access windows at all. I can't access it through any boot options including safe mode. The windows either gives BSOD after the logo and white circles going around a few times or recovery environment.

I've recently upgraded from Windows 7 to 10 through the microsoft updater.

The only major thing I did before this happened was installing the AMD CCC and rebooting, which caused this loop. I actually reinstalled it as switchable graphics wasn't working.

Things I've tried - 
1. Automatic Repair - doesn't work. txt file in srt folder says the OS version is not compatible even if I use the Windows 10 usb.

2. chkdsk /f /r - it fixed a bunch of things, there seemed to be a lot of problems but now it says that there is no problems and no further action is required.

3. Fixing and rewriting bcd files - This was the interesting part because my computer some how changed the C:\ to D:\ and created a new C:\. I've reassigned it so that original C:\ is renamed back to C:\ and removed the new C:\ partition which only had the boot files in it and reformed all the bcd files in original C:\

4. I can't run sfc /scanow. It doesn't work with any commands I found over the internet.

5. Other things I found were that if I tried to reset the computer while keeping the files, it doesn't allow me to do it.
Also, I found out that some of my drivers were missing by using devcon - graphics (both integrated intel, dedicated radeon m6740) some sound cards, single usb driver.
Also when I installed thne integrated intel graphics driver through pnputil, when I restart the computer, the driver disappears and comes up with code 28 again.

I don't mind doing a fresh install but only if I am able to access my current hd files and create a backup, which hopefully should be possible because I can access the files through cmd prompt in WindowsRE.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:52 PM

Posted 04 September 2015 - 04:38 PM

W10 update issues haven't proven very easy to fix - especially those that won't allow you to even get into Windows.

As such, the best idea is to backup your data.  You can:

- use a bootable/Live OS disk that'll let you backup your data to external media (such as an external USB drive)

- slave the hard drive to another computer and copy the data to the other computer.

After doing that, I'd suggest making a bootable W10 drive of the version that you were updating to (Home or Pro).

Then wipe the hard drive and install W10 "clean".  If the previous system (W7SP1 or W8.1) was legitimately activated, you can skip the 2 prompts where it asks for the product key. Once the installation is complete it should automatically activate.

Just FYI - I have a Samsung NP780 with switchable graphics - and it doesn't work in W10 (I also had problems with it in W8.1, so be careful).

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users