Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HD not showing in the "Computer"-list

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 antoniuni

antoniuni

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 PM

Posted 04 September 2015 - 01:05 AM

I placed a HD in the desktop, the message underneath showed that it had been installed properly but this HD don't show-up in the window "Computer"-list, so I cannot open it.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,808 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:42 AM

Posted 04 September 2015 - 02:19 AM

Please explain fully what has occurred - what does "placed a HD in the desktop" mean? How is it connected? Is it new, blank, already partitioned, something should be on it? Does it work correctly connected to another computer?

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 antoniuni

antoniuni
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2015 - 02:51 AM

I connected an (old) HD with text in(side) the computer. It's the new system. It did correctly work before with this computer, but since I have changed my Windows 7 to 10 and back again it doesn't work, so it doesn't show itself in the Computer-list.

#4 antoniuni

antoniuni
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2015 - 06:30 AM

I notice also, that when I'm placed this HD the Windows-programm takes a lot more time to open.

#5 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,808 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2015 - 08:18 AM

I guess you mean the drive is connected to an internal interface, probably SATA, and contains some documents you'd like to access? Can you hear it operating?

If that's so, besides Computer, there are two places you should be able to see a reference to the drive. One is in Device Manager, where if it is functioning, it should be listed by type under Disk drives.

If it shows there, it should also come up in Disk Management further down in Computer Management, and any partitions it contains should appear with descriptions.

Please confirm if this is so, and if partitions show up in Disk Management but do not have a drive letter on them, a screenshot would be very useful.

#6 antoniuni

antoniuni
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2015 - 09:04 AM

The HD is fitted inside the computer. It's operating. In "Computer" nothing, but in the Device Manager it is showing.

Attached File  HD.png   18.64KB   1 downloads

Attached File  HD1.png   5.11KB   1 downloads

Edited by antoniuni, 04 September 2015 - 09:05 AM.

#7 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,808 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2015 - 09:32 AM

So the 160GB C: drive and the 2TB E: drive are the drives normally in the system, and the device called ATA Device is the drive you've connected up? In that case the drive is not being ID'd correctly, it may have an electrical fault. What brand and model of drive is it?

#8 antoniuni

antoniuni
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2015 - 09:37 AM

It's a Western Digital. This HD crashed while reloading Windows 7 again after my Windows 10-debacle.

#9 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,808 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2015 - 09:48 AM

That doesn't sound good. If it had a problem and now can't be ID'd, that would lead us to suspect a fault in its controller board. If you right click on it in Device Manager, choose Properties and select the Details tab, in the Property dropdown, do the Hardware Ids or Friendly name categories show anything relating to Western Digital? (You could see what to expect by doing the same for the other drives.)

Edited by Platypus, 04 September 2015 - 09:49 AM.

#10 antoniuni

antoniuni
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2015 - 07:27 PM

It doesn't sound at all hahahaha! "Hardware lds" are showing something but no details and "Friendly name" empty.

I'm afraid I have to scrap this HD. It seems to be true that a HD has to be replaced within about five years.

Attached Files

• Attached File  HD3.png   6.13KB   0 downloads

#11 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,808 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2015 - 11:52 PM

It appears the drive may be beyond feasible recovery, that's true.

As a double check, you could try things like attaching it to a different computer just to be sure there isn't something weird going on with yours, or accessing it through a different interface such as a SATA to USB adapter.

Also, you can try diagnosing the drive with the Western Digital Data Lifeguard Diagnostics that can be downloaded from the Western Digital support website, or using a general diagnostic like TestDisk, which is about the best Open Source drive testing tool I've found.

http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk

#12 antoniuni

antoniuni
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2015 - 01:15 AM

Same same in my other desktop, my previous one. I'll try the WD Diagnostics. I have learned a lot again and lost a HD.

THANKS a lot for your valuable help Platypus!

#13 antoniuni

antoniuni
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2015 - 01:29 AM

I wanted to do your recommended test, but the HD failed to show. OK, I'll destroy him.

#14 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,808 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2015 - 04:03 AM

In cases where the drive contents are valuable and worth trying to recover, sometimes people have been able to get an identical drive and swap the controller board for long enough to copy off what they want. It's possible though that a fault like that can be caused by degradation of the platter surface or failure of a read head, so that the drive's operating firmware cannot be loaded from the platter. In that case it can't be accessed using another board.

Edited by Platypus, 05 September 2015 - 04:03 AM.

#15 antoniuni

antoniuni
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2015 - 07:18 AM

Thanks Platypus!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users