Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Just Making Sure

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 protozero

protozero

• Members
  • 447 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:52 AM

Posted 15 July 2006 - 08:58 PM

I'm planing on buying this video card and this PSU. Since my 300 Watt is...Yeah. I'd just like to know if there's anything that's not compatible. This is my motherboard. I got nothing to power hungry in there. Athlon +3500, 1Gb Samsung (2x512), 200Gb Seagate Barracuda, LightScribe DvD+Write/CD writer. The only thing I saw which could not be compatible is that the 12V rail on the PSU doesn't have very many AMP's. Any help would be apreciated.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 linderman

linderman

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2006 - 10:47 PM

I think you will find the Antec SP-500 for @68.00 (newegg.com) a FAR better and higher quality PSU I have heard many good reports from guys using this supply with good feedback. The Ultra line is rather medium quality at best

good luck and enjoy

#3 protozero

protozero
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 447 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2006 - 11:21 PM

There's one major problem with that, but it's not your fault that you didn't see it. I'm in Canada, and I'd buy from Newegg, but thye don't accept credit cards from other countries, nor do they ship here. :thumbsup: I've read lots of reviews for the Ultra PSU. I haven't seen any bad ones, they say that it delivers the performance that it promises and that the cables are really cool/long.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

#4 xtatik222k

xtatik222k

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:52 PM

Posted 16 July 2006 - 03:08 AM

I think you should be okay, as long as the power doesn't dip a lot when the temp rises. Here is a guide that someone linked me to when I had a similar enquiry.
http://forums.silentpcreview.com/viewtopic.php?t=9733
Something really good to read through if you are wondering. By the way, let me know how your graphics card goes, for I am getting the very same one in a few days.

#5 Gothmog

Gothmog

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2006 - 07:35 AM

its a shame you can't use newegg, they always save me tons.

I could not find a min requirement for your card, but the spec for something of the next tier up only calls for 19 amp rail so I believe you are safe.

It seems that only the high-end/high-demand cards get any attention from vendors with regards to min 12V rail requirements. I couldn't find info for my new card either. I guess they figure the average PSU will handle it.

#6 linderman

linderman

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2006 - 01:06 PM

I would review the conclusion section of this review:

http://www.dvhardware.net/review72_3_ultra-xconnect.html

quote:

There is still some work on the voltage lines in order to competete with the high-end power supplies. Especially the 12V line of the sample I received was a bit disappointing. The 12V line was pretty high and during load it fluctuated a bit.

as I stated they are not a poor quality unit >>> but at $99.00 there are certainly better choices >>> like the antec true power 550 antec is a much higher quality unit

enjoy

Edited by linderman, 16 July 2006 - 01:12 PM.

#7 protozero

protozero
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 447 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2006 - 05:23 PM

Well for some bizaar reason, Tigerdirect don't sell Antec ( that's a shame :thumbsup: ) When I went to bestbuy to get an adapter for my moms Camara, I looked at there power supplies. They had an Antec 400W for 70 or 80$. I couldn't find a minimum required amperage on the 12V rail of the Ultra PSU. Only that it requires 350W.

My Computers temperature stays good. Not sure exactly but it's cooler inside my case then my air conditioned house. CPU stays around 40C, and the only thing slightly warm in my case is my 200GB Seagate.

Oh, and xtatik222k. I may have to wait up to a month to get it. ( Untill I get the money ) So you'll be getting it before me, tell me how well it performs.

#8 linderman

linderman

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2006 - 08:20 PM

have you checked zipzoomfly.com

#9 linderman

linderman

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2006 - 08:25 PM

http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetai...ductCode=270001

for an added $20.00 this unit blows the competion away with an 85% efficiency rating ! these units are in a class of their own! & a reputation of the quietest on the market as well!

http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetai...ductCode=271603

#10 protozero

protozero
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 447 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2006 - 10:23 PM

Yes, I have checked zipzoomfly. I asked them if they would accept Canadian Credit cards, or ship hear to Canada, and they said no. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users