Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How do i search for things?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 klartofle

klartofle

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:09 PM

Posted 03 September 2015 - 10:10 PM

Hello sorry to bother you but i can not for the life of me figure out how to search for things like my roaming folder like i wouldn't even know where to begin looking for that  have however set it so that the file will be visible but i have no clue where to type in %appdata% if you could please tell me where to find a search bar for it i'd be very greatful, Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,937 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:09 AM

Posted 03 September 2015 - 10:38 PM

G'day klartofle, and Welcome to BC

Press the Windows key, and tap the R key

This will bring up a "run" box

Type %appdata% in there and hit enter or click on ok

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

#3 RuddyDuck

RuddyDuck

• Validating
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:09 PM

Posted 04 September 2015 - 12:00 AM

In the lower left corner of the Windows 10 screen, you will find the Windows icon. Immediately to the right of that icon, depending on how you've configured things, there will either be a search bar into which you can type, or a magnifying glass icon. Click on the magnifying glass icon and the search bar will open up, into which you can type.

It does take a bit of time to familiarize oneself with the Windows 10 layout!

#4 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:09 PM

Posted 04 September 2015 - 05:29 AM

Here's a third alternative, and if you remember DOS this third option will be immediately helpful:  ZtreeWin.  It's the latest Windows version of Xtree Gold, and it really is gold, because Windows search has always been very weak.  In fact, in Win7 and following you'll be lucky to find anything at all.  Most of the searches I ran in Win10 resulted in 'Can't find anything', even though I was looking right at the location.  That's because BING took over the search even on your local data on your machine, and BING is a pile of bull.

But for $30, I can download ZtreeWin, which still has the same interface as XtreeGold for DOS (which I still use on my DOS machines), and it finds EVERYTHING.  You want to find text in a file spanning a 500GB drive?  You can.  Windows can't do this for most files, but Ztree knows the formatting of many programs.  I put that Ztree on a STICK (the license covers five machines), and can plug it into anything.

So 64-bit or 32-bit (oddly enough, the latter works better on 64-bit Win10) and now all my many Win7 machines searches FINALLY work.  Hidden files or text or you name it.

Now, if you're not familiar with the interface from DOS, it is a huge learning curve. But if you have to do a lot of file housekeeping and comparing and searching, then the learning curve is worth it.

Two things no Windows junkie should ever be without: 1) a Linux stick to boot when Windows goes wonky or isn't advanced enough for current functions/drivers/drivers/peripherals.. and 2) ZtreeWin.

(Away, Notifications Off) AUDIT PREMISES, my guidon.  -- brainout or brainouty on vimeo or Youtube, domain brainout.net

#5 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,937 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:09 AM

Posted 04 September 2015 - 05:41 AM

Fourth Alternative :

Everything.

As ts name suggests...."Everything" is search engine that locates files and folders by filename instantly for Windows.
Unlike Windows search "Everything" initially displays every file and folder on your computer (hence the name "Everything").
You type in a search filter to limit what files and folders are displayed.

FAQ's can be found HERE  

It is Free

It is Fast.

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

#6 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,667 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:09 PM

Posted 04 September 2015 - 05:48 AM

I just hit START and type my query in. Works for me every time, except for text within documents.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#7 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:06:09 PM

Posted 05 September 2015 - 09:14 AM

Condobloke is on the money with Everything Search.

I have used it for years and it is a habit to use it instead of the Windows search function.

One thing I use it for is finding leftover files and folders for programs I uninstall. Even though I use Revo uninstaller and it will search for those files and folders after the uninstall, sometimes it does miss some.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users