Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Buying a processor for my Laptop

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 batman2015

batman2015

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:59 AM

Posted 03 September 2015 - 08:25 PM

I have a samsung model np365e5c-s01ub.

I currently have a AMD A6-4400M APU with Radeon HD Graphics 2.7 GHz.

I will be upgrading the processor to AMD's quad-core 3.9GHz A10-7870K.

Will this processor be compatible with my laptop?

Also, will there be a problem with over heating?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,180 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:59 PM

Posted 03 September 2015 - 08:57 PM

I have a samsung model np365e5c-s01ub.

I currently have a AMD A6-4400M APU with Radeon HD Graphics 2.7 GHz.

I will be upgrading the processor to AMD's quad-core 3.9GHz A10-7870K.

Will this processor be compatible with my laptop?

Unfortunately not.  It won't physically fit.  The A10-7870K is a Socket FM2+ CPU meant for desktops.  The A6-4400M APU uses a mobile only socket called Socket FS1.  It's a PGA socket rather than a soldered in type (many laptops processors are soldered in) so it may be theoretically possible to upgrade to another FS1 processor.  But remember whatever you upgrade to has to be supported by the laptops BIOS in order for it to work.  Laptops aren't really designed to be upgraded, and in practice few people perform CPU upgrades on laptops.

Also, will there be a problem with over heating?

No as it won't work.  But if we imagine it was possible to install it.. As the A10-7870K has a TDP of 95w (compared to 35w of the A6-4400M) this would cause heat and power issues on a laptop.

Edited by jonuk76, 03 September 2015 - 08:58 PM.

7sbvuf-6.png

#3 saw101

saw101

• Members
  • 437 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:59 AM

Posted 03 September 2015 - 08:58 PM

Not a job for a novice. Even if the upgrade is possible it will be very difficult & you seriously risk turning it into a paperweight or a parts machine for an eBay sale.

Some upgrades, RAM, Hard Drive, Optical Drives are easy.

I'm not able to say that the processor you want to is compatible, let alone possible. Many laptops have processors that are hard soldered to the board. The best way to proceed is to look at what CPUs have been sold with your laptop over the course of its life span, by googling "[your notebook model] CPU."

A good read: http://www.howtogeek.com/192016/what-you-need-to-know-about-upgrading-your-laptops-hardware/

I never make the same mistake twice....I always make it 5 or 6 times just to be sure!

#4 pistol22cal

pistol22cal

• Members
  • 294 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:59 AM

Posted 03 September 2015 - 09:08 PM

Totally different sockets totally different platforms will not work at all

The cpu can be changed but it has to be socket FS1 and will be dual core due to the socket limitations.

Not to be rude but please do not take your laptop apart and try to change the CPU - If you where not aware that your laptop's CPU was not the same as a desktop's then you have no idea what you are getting into or what you are asking to try and accomplish. Please start from something simple, grab an old broken laptop for $75 off ebay tear it apart, buy replacement parts, put it back together if it works sell it and repeat this process about 20 times before you touch something you paid hard cold cash for brand new.

A6-Series for Notebooks (Bulldozer)

• » Piledriver / Steamroller microarchitecture
  • » 0.028 and 0.032 micron
  • » Budget mobile CPU
  • » Dual core
  • » Up to 2.9 GHz
  • » Up to 2 MB L2 cache
  • » No L3 cache
  • » 64-bit
  • » AES, AVX, FMA3 instructions
  • » Virtualization
  • » Turbo Core 3.0
  • » Integrated GPU
  • » ULV options
BGA
Socket FS1 (FS1r2)

Edited by pistol22cal, 03 September 2015 - 09:16 PM.

I Love Lamp!

#5 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,180 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:59 PM

Posted 03 September 2015 - 09:34 PM

This page shows some similar CPU's and may be of interest as a basis for research - http://www.cpu-upgrade.com/CPUs/AMD/A6-Series_for_Notebooks/A6-4400M.html

But I can only echo the other comments that laptop upgrades (beyond HDD and RAM which are normally easy) are definitely not for the inexperienced!

7sbvuf-6.png

#6 pistol22cal

pistol22cal

• Members
  • 294 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:59 AM

Posted 03 September 2015 - 10:04 PM

This page shows some similar CPU's and may be of interest as a basis for research - http://www.cpu-upgrade.com/CPUs/AMD/A6-Series_for_Notebooks/A6-4400M.html

But I can only echo the other comments that laptop upgrades (beyond HDD and RAM which are normally easy) are definitely not for the inexperienced!

If the OP can contact tech support and get his exact motherboard model and/or serial number I could tell for sure - but just a search of the laptop model looking for replacement boards it looks like US and UB versions are the same from what I can google up. SO, the A8-4500M CPU should work --- BUT it would be better if we knew the exact motherboard in your system. Belarc advisor can tell you - http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html

Edited by pistol22cal, 03 September 2015 - 10:05 PM.

I Love Lamp!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users