Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Logging Off At Startup

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 SG_Dropzone

SG_Dropzone

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:30 AM

Posted 15 July 2006 - 08:26 PM

(Model: Dell 2600)
(OS: XP Home)

Ein the PC will not start up anymore. Which is most likely my fault.

Something is causing it to log off of my profile during startup, even in safe mode. Meaning I have no access to my sprites, game models, music, and FPS Creator/RPGXP.

There has been an issue for some time where the windows gui would not come up, except for the task manager and the wallpaper. From the task manager I could run Mozilla, or winamp, paint, explore, pretty much anything (Yup, we're back to 3.1). But it would be stuck in the startup. I once ran Spybot to scan, once it was done it prompted me to scedule another scan at the next startup. The scan started almost immediately after I closed Spybot. Almost immediately after it was complete, the desktop ui appeared.

The next time, I looked in my task manager and spotted several explorer.exe entries in the active processes display. When I killed all but one of them, the desktop ui and start bar appeared again. I now knew what to do. But I dreaded turning the thing off/on again.

I worked around this by telling my computer to hibernate instead of just turning it off. That seemed to work until I did a windows update (in retrospect, a moment of pure stupidity). Which forced my PC to restart. But the next time I logged in, it showed me the wallpaper, and then a message that it was logging off.

Unless there's some other way, I'm going to have to wipe the hard drive and reinstall XP. Which means everything from my sprites to my music, textures and models, everything, will be lost.

If anyone can help me, please post or e-mail me at xxxxxxxxxxxxxx.

Mod Edit: E-mail address was removed for your safety. Please, do not post your E-mail address in an open forum. This could lead to a lot more SPAM in your inbox, than you might want.

Edited by tg1911, 15 July 2006 - 09:50 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2006 - 10:40 PM

Why not backup your data while the computer is operating?

The next suggestion would be running Spybot again as well as Adaware, and then posting a Hijack This log in our Hijack This forum where experts will help you rid your computer of malware.

Update Spybot before you run the scan and do it from safe mode.

If you do not already have Adaware download it, update it and run it from safe mode as well.
Ad-Aware SE Personal - freeware
http://fileforum.betanews.com/detail/Adawa...nal/965718306/1

Following that that I suggest you post a “HijackThis” log for expert assistance with a possible malware infection.

Read the pinned post in our “HijackThis” forum,
here
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/34773/preparation-guide-for-use-before-using-malware-removal-tools-and-requesting-help/
Carefully read and follow all directions explicitly.

Following instructions create a HJT log, and POST THE HJT LOG YOU CREATED IN OUR HJT FORUM – not in this forum,
at this link.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/posthjtlog.html
Include the specs for your computer (ie, processor, amount of RAM, brand or motherboard, etc, and briefly describe the problem you are experiencing.)

Unless you are expert at editing the registry, Do not use the Hijack This program to try to fix anything by yourself as even what may seem to be a small mistake can render your operating system inoperable.
Some files when in the correct folder for them may be fine while in another may be malware hiding.

A member of our expert HJT Team will analyze your log, make recommendations and offer assistance, walking you through the complete repair process.

It may take a period of time to get a response to the log you posted because the members of our HJT Team are kept very busy.
Please be patient as this team is manned by volunteers. They will help you in order received as soon as possible.

NOTE
Once you have posted your HJT log, please DO NOT make any additional posts in the HJT forum thread you created until you get a response from a member of our HJT expert team, and do not make any changes to your system (changes, including any attempted repairs, will make your computer to be different than displayed in the log you posted and therefore make your log inaccurate).

The first criteria the HJT Team has when looking for logs that need replies are posts showing 0 replies. If you make an additional post, it will show as having 1 reply.
A team member, looking for a new log that requires help might well assume another HJT Team member is already assisting you and might not open the thread to respond.

So, post your HJT Log in our HJT Forum (not here in this forum) and wait for a response from a HJT team member. After posting your HJT log please do not make any changes to your system and do not attempt any other repairs until your HJT post is answered as any change will change what the log represents.

#3 SG_Dropzone

SG_Dropzone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2006 - 02:17 PM

Windows doesn't even finish starting up before it logs off, man. And I already have Ad Aware, Hijack This, Smitfraudfix, and CCleaner.

I can't get to them for the above reason.

#4 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:30 AM

Posted 16 July 2006 - 03:01 PM

Will your computer start in Safe Mode w/command prompt? Often a computer that will not start up normally, or in Safe Mode, will start in Safe Mode w/command prompt.

If so:

at the C: prompt type the following

cd\
hit the enter key
C:\progra~1\spybot~1\spybotsd.exe /autocheck /autofix

NOTE: there is a space before each forward slash (/).

To run adaware in this mode:

cd\
hit the enter key
C:\progra~1\lavasoft\ad-awa~1\ad-aware.exe
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#5 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2006 - 03:19 PM

If that doesn't work, you can physically remove your hard drive and install it as a slave on another computer. Run virus scans and anti-malware scans on it before you open or backup anything.

You can then backup your files to either a folder in the computer you're borrowing (set the jumper to slave on your hd) or burn them to cds.

You can then replace the hard drive back to your computer (set the jumper back to master), reformat the hard drive and do a fresh install of Windows.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users