Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is there a manager that tells you which software needs updating?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 SmurfonWheels

SmurfonWheels

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:56 PM

Posted 03 September 2015 - 05:23 PM

Software update maniger?

Is there a program/software out there that helps
 you keep on track with all your programs updates
 just incase they don't update them self
 i know a year or 2 back i try avast (did not like it)
 but one thing i did like about it that it told me suntan software
 was not up to date and it directed me to the update on the official website

its just is there a legitimate software out there that can tell you if stuff need updating

i dont mind buying a Legit Software maybe its a Security package like avast but i just wanted to know
becuase its allways good to keep on top of all your updates
and its hard to keep track of them all when they dont do it them selfs

it has to be legit software no dodgy 3rd part software
Maybe it comes in a Security package?
(Sorry for the bad grammer and spelling i have dyslexia)
But anyway could anyone point me in the right direchion as i really want to keep my pc software secure and uptodate

I use windows 10

Thank you for The Help

From Smurf

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Members
  • 35,905 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:56 PM

Posted 03 September 2015 - 05:40 PM

Secunia PSI does. But I just checked and it's not available for Windows 10.... Yet.

http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal/features/

I don't know of another program or application that would support Windows 10 at this time.

Hopefully someone else will have some information.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:56 PM

Posted 03 September 2015 - 05:48 PM

Ever heard of Ninite? I think that is a good start.

#4 SmurfonWheels

SmurfonWheels
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2015 - 05:56 PM

thank you for the information i will have a look at them :) keep posting if anyone knows of any others thank you again

#5 Nikhil_CV

Nikhil_CV

Vestibulum Bleep

• Members
  • 1,145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:26 AM

Posted 03 September 2015 - 09:53 PM

I suggest filehippo update checker other than Secunia.
The problem with filehippo is it directs you to the download site hosted by itself than the original vendor's website. The choice will rest on your shoulder whether to download it from filehippo or original vendor's/developer's site.
http://filehippo.com/download_app_manager/
Regards : CV                                                                                                    There is no ONE TOUCH key to security!
                                                                                                                                       Be alert and vigilant....!
                                                                                                                                  Always have a Backup Plan!!! Because human idiotism doesn't have a cure! Stop highlighting!
                                                     Questions are to be asked, it helps you, me and others.  Knowledge is power, only when its shared to others.            :radioactive: signature contents © cv and Someone....... :wink:

#6 SmurfonWheels

SmurfonWheels
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2015 - 01:00 AM

Thank you haha sorry for the late reply I was sleeping thanks for all the help I will see which ones got best for me haha thank you again for the help

#7 1PW

1PW

• Members
  • 316 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:56 PM

Posted 04 September 2015 - 10:28 AM

Hello SmurfonWheels:

Amongst others, you may wish to investigate the on-demand, Freeware/PRO versions of KC Softwares' SUMo Lite/Portable.

Due to the previous objections to the inclusion of the Relevant Knowledge sponsor in the regular installer version, the Lite/Portable editions are now absent of any other commercial sponsorship.

Thank you.

Edited by 1PW, 04 September 2015 - 11:33 AM.

All viruses are malware but not all malware are viruses and if the malware doesn't self replicate it just isn't a virus.

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,047 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:56 PM

Posted 04 September 2015 - 03:17 PM

Best Tools To Check For Software Updates
Best Free Software Update Monitoring Tools
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#9 pantherapardus4

pantherapardus4

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:56 PM

Posted 16 September 2015 - 01:12 PM

I've been wondering about Secunia.  I used it before with minimal problems (two programs would not update, and I couldn't tell it to ignore them).  For the past several months, it's just been going on & on & on, for several hours with no progress.  I've uninstalled & downloaded from their site a few times (most recently a few days ago).  I'm on the same system (Windows 7) as before.  Any thoughts?

Until we extend our circle of compassion to all living things, humanity will not find peace. ~Albert Schweitzer, The Philosophy of Civilization

Windows 10, Firefox, avast! Free Antivirus, Windows Defender, Spyware Blaster, SpywareGuard, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit

#10 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2015 - 01:34 PM

I would say that this is a "known" issue with SecuniaPSI v3. A lot of users are using the v2 instead and it's working just fine. You can download the latest stable release for Secunia PSI v2 from the link below.

http://secunia.com/support/psi/release-history/

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#11 pantherapardus4

pantherapardus4

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2015 - 01:45 PM

Oh, I guess I had updated it, as I'm supposed to do.  As the program is supposed to remind you to do.  Thanks for the link to the stable verson.  I'll ignore it when it tells me to update itself!  :)

Wait, I see where it tells you what each new version does, but how do you download that version?

Edited by pantherapardus4, 16 September 2015 - 01:51 PM.

Until we extend our circle of compassion to all living things, humanity will not find peace. ~Albert Schweitzer, The Philosophy of Civilization

Windows 10, Firefox, avast! Free Antivirus, Windows Defender, Spyware Blaster, SpywareGuard, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit

#12 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2015 - 01:57 PM

Oups my bad on that one, here goes :P

https://secunia.com/support/download/

Here's the direct download link:

http://secunia.com/PSI2Setup.exe

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#13 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,047 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2015 - 02:57 PM

Don't forget there are other alternatives like Ninite noted in the links I provided above.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#14 pantherapardus4

pantherapardus4

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2015 - 07:25 PM

Thanks, Aura!  Seems strange that v3 has been out for so long.  Shouldn't Secunia have told me to update itself?

Quietman7, thanks for introducing yet more options to worry about!  ;)  I read many recommendations of Secunia, so I just went with it.

#15 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2015 - 08:24 PM

Well, if you were using SecuniaPSI v3 to begin with, it wouldn't have told you to update it since you were already running on the latest version :P

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users