Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Reinstall XP Without Installation CD?

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#1 FinalSmash

FinalSmash

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:06 AM

Posted 03 September 2015 - 04:17 PM

Hello,

I recently attempted to re-install Windows XP on my Dell Dimension 3000 using the i386 folder. I encountered an error, I no longer have the OS on the PC. I do not have a Windows XP installation disc, so I can't use that. I've been trying to install it using a USB drive, but that hasn't worked so far.

So I have a genuine XP product key, but no way to re-install it. Can someone please help me?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 roccoadam32

roccoadam32

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2015 - 04:35 PM

While I don't recommend reinstalling Windows XP as it is no longer supported and won't receive anymore security updates you can find an ISO on this site http://forums.mydigitallife.info/forum.php.  

#3 FinalSmash

FinalSmash
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2015 - 05:46 PM

If I download an ISO, will I be able to write it to a USB and install Windows from there?

#4 roccoadam32

roccoadam32

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2015 - 06:46 PM

http://www.isotousb.com/

#5 Dashing_star

Dashing_star

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:06 PM

Posted 04 September 2015 - 12:11 AM

If I download an ISO, will I be able to write it to a USB and install Windows from there?

Yes. If you have a valid Product key for windows you can download ISO file from Microsoft website or so on and burn that iso image on USB drive and then you able to install windows through USB. you can follow the steps provided by roccoadam32 in reply #4.

Regards

#6 FinalSmash

FinalSmash
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2015 - 09:24 AM

Okay, I will try that now.

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,448 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2015 - 09:34 AM

Yes. If you have a valid Product key for windows you can download ISO file from Microsoft website or so on and burn that iso image on USB drive and then you able to install windows through USB. you can follow the steps provided by roccoadam32 in reply #4.

Regards

That is the standalone installer for SP3. It is not the OS iso. As far as I know there is no longer a legal site to download XP.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,295 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:06 AM

Posted 04 September 2015 - 10:07 AM

Agree with John.

AFAIK...there has never been a legal site to download Windows XP, other than possibly a site pertaining to Student editions/versions of XP.

Restore To Factory Defaults or recovery disks from Dell...appear to be your only options without an XP install CD.

Louis

#9 FinalSmash

FinalSmash
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2015 - 10:17 AM

I already called Dell, and they no longer carry recovery disks for XP, so that's out of the question.

What good would restoring the computer to factory settings accomplish?

#10 FinalSmash

FinalSmash
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2015 - 10:18 AM

I'm not sure if this would help me, but

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/310994

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,448 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2015 - 10:30 AM

All that link does is provide a floppy startup for an XP install. A factory reset would install XP as when purchased. This would be your only option if the recovery partition is intact.  When the computer starts to boot, Hold the Ctrl key and tap F11. If the restore partition is intact, it will start a recovery manager.

#12 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,217 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 PM

Posted 04 September 2015 - 10:30 AM

That is to run the CD installation on a computer that cannot boot from a CD.

Restoring to factory settings will return the computer to the same state as it was when it came from the factory. It's necessary for the hard drive to still contain the recovery partition for this to work.

If you can find any way to borrow an OEM Windows XP CD, it is perfectly acceptable to use it with the product key belonging to your computer to re-install. Preferably it should be XP SP3, otherwise there is a long manual downloading and installing of service packs involved.

Edit: cross posted!

Edited by Platypus, 04 September 2015 - 10:41 AM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,448 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2015 - 10:33 AM

@Platypus is correct. Even better would be a Dell OEM XP install disk as that would have the SLP key. Because XP is no longer supported with security updates you may be better off installing a linux distro like Ubuntu or Mint. 

#14 FinalSmash

FinalSmash
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2015 - 11:05 AM

Yeah, the recovery partion is not intact.

Still, there should be a way to find a ripped installation disk...

#15 FinalSmash

FinalSmash
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2015 - 11:53 AM

I also have a laptop running XP Home if that would help at all.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users