Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC upgrade - what should I buy

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 mielto

mielto

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:05 AM

Posted 03 September 2015 - 03:41 PM

Hello, I would like to upgrade my PC to be able to play games at higher FPS.

My PC components are:

MOBO - GIGABYTE 970A-UD3P
CPU - AMD FX8320 8core 3.5GHz

RAM - Crucial Ballistix 2x4GB 1600 MHz CL9 Sport

GPU - AMD Radeon r9 380 4GB

STORAGE - Kingston 240GB SSD
PSU- Corsair VS650

OS - Windows 10 Pro

Display-  1080p monitor

As I was saying, I would like to upgrade my pc to be able to handle games at higher FPS.

My upgrade budget is around 300e (~340$).

I was thinking about buying another graphics card and use it in a crossfire. Would that be enough to result in significant FPS difference?

I am pretty sure that I will have to sell current PSU and buy another one ..but I am not sure which one ? 850W ..more? 

I probably should overclock my cpu to 4Ghz, but I am running stock cooler therefore I am worried it will overheat.

Any response and help will be much appreciated.

Edited by mielto, 03 September 2015 - 03:48 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,445 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:05 PM

Posted 03 September 2015 - 05:18 PM

Hmm... what games are you playing? The R9 380 is still pretty high on the "high end" GPU benchmark list (see here). Should play most games at a pretty good level.

You should be good with the 650W corsair. You probably won't use over 600W in your system, even with a newer card. If you are really wanting to get something new, check out the Nvidia GTX 970. Its got decent prices and is in the top 10 best cards out right now. Also, don't even bother with the crossfire thing, its better to just have one solid card then two cards. Crossfire and SLI can cause problems with games which can just cause headaches when you just want to play!

OS - Ubuntu 14.04/16.04 & Windows 10
Custom Desktop PC / Lenovo Y580 / Sager NP8258 / Dell XPS 13 (9350)

#3 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:05 PM

Posted 03 September 2015 - 05:50 PM

If FPS more important than anything, you could always turn down the detail - free of charge :)  It's really not a bad spec you have there for playing games at 1080p...

But if you really want to run 2 x R9-380's in Crossfire then you'll need a beefy PSU with enough power connectors.  Something like Corsair RM-850 or EVGA G2 850 should be good.  The R9-380's power rate is rated to 190w per card, in standard form without overclocking.  Many prefer not to use two cards, and instead go for a single more powerful card due to not all games responding well to Crossfire and so on.

Edited by jonuk76, 03 September 2015 - 05:51 PM.

7sbvuf-6.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users