Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No one can figure out what the issue is. Please help!

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 dman232

dman232

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:42 PM

Posted 03 September 2015 - 02:51 PM

Hi everyone! I am at a complete loss and very very veryyyyyy frustrated. For some reason, when I hook my computer up to the Ethernet at my school, it messes up. As soon as I try to surf the web, a few seconds later, the connection disconnects and says it is not available. After this happens, there is no way to get the connection back without shutting down the computer. Even more concerning is the fact that every time this happens, my computer won't fully shut down (the light stays on) and I have to perform a hard shutdown. With Wi-Fi, there is never an issue. I have asked the IT group at my campus if they have an ideas and they are at a loss. I have also taken my computer to Best Buy Geek Squad and they ran it through a battery of internet tests overnight through an Ethernet cable and said it never disconnected, which leads me to believe it is central to the school connection.
Also strange is the fact that it doesn't disconnect with certain things. The reason I use the wired connection is because I play Dota 2 and it lags too much over Wi-Fi at my school. As long as I just play Dota 2 and don't touch internet explorer, the connection usually stays steady. Even if dota 2 is off, and I just use the internet, the issue persists.
I currently have an Acer laptop and am running windows 10. Even so, this issue has been occurring even with windows 8 so I do not think it is OS related.

Also, I have tried multiple Ethernet cables.

Also, when I check the driver before I shut the computer down, it is usually disabled or has disappeared. ​

Please help clear.pngclear.png

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 DenizB1992

DenizB1992

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2015 - 03:23 PM

Try connecting your computer to another ethernet jack. It could be faulty wiring from the building. Please confirm if it works using say another room's ethernet jack.

#3 dman232

dman232
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2015 - 03:37 PM

I have been in three different dorms in my years at this school. It has happened in every one :scratchhead:

#4 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2015 - 04:09 PM

Oh it very well could be an OS issue just not one caused by the upgrade from 8 to 10. Not saying that is what the issue is, but you can't rule it out because you upgraded.

It works fine if you are on your game but not IE. What about Chrome or Firefox? The Best Buy people did tests, do you know what they did? Have you messed with the driver since this started? Meaning uninstalled and rebooted? Downloaded a new driver from the manufacture's site and installed it? Have you booted into Safe Mode with networking and tested it? Did you try with add-ons turned off?

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#5 dman232

dman232
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2015 - 06:57 PM

It disconnects even more if I play the game and surf the web at the same time.  I am not sure the tests that they did as it was like a year ago =/.  I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the driver and searched for updates.  I have not downloaded a new driver from the manufacturer’s site and installed it.  I have not booted in safe mode and tested it as I do not know what tests to run.  I have not tried with add ons turned off. 

I have also found this online.  I am using driver version 15.6.1.2.  I have also had that error driver power state failure.

http://www.eightforums.com/network-sharing/33594-windows-8-1-loses-wired-internet-connection-5.html

eightforums.com/network-sharing/33594-windows-8-1-loses-wired-internet-connection-2.html

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows8_1-networking/windows-81-limited-connection-default-gateway-not/ecb20ae8-5241-4351-bc3b-a3f0237b5239?auth=1

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows8_1-networking/windows-81-network-constantly-drops/6e30c599-ea96-494c-89ff-8d9a519b16ea?auth=1

#6 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:42 PM

Posted 03 September 2015 - 08:06 PM

If you go to a friends house or other network and connected wired do you have the same issues?

Most of what you write points to the school throttling your bandwidth concerning certain activities.

#7 dman232

dman232
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2015 - 09:28 PM

I hear what youre saying, but I don't think that's the issue since the driver will register disabled and I will then have to hard reset computer.  IF it was just bandwitdth the driver would stay fine correct?

#8 DenizB1992

DenizB1992

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2015 - 09:08 AM

I would suggest getting an inexpensive USB to Ethernet adapter because it seems as if you have a faulty ethernet port. I suggest getting it only because it might be able to solve your issue and further help investigate what works and doesn't to determine your issue.

#9 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2015 - 10:56 AM

Not really any tests to run in safe mode, more of just see if you can surf without getting disconnected.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users