Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Netflix Desktop-Should I uninstall it or Wine?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Ubiq

Ubiq

• Members
  • 253 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:55 AM

Posted 03 September 2015 - 02:40 PM

So, I don't recall ever trying to install Wine. I think it may have been part of a process related to trying to get Netflix to work. And Netflix Desktop did work...for a while.

Anyway, I keep getting the following window a bit after startup. Clicking "Run this action now" starts a process that seems to fail. I get this window again whenever I boot Ubuntu.

Netflix3%20from%202015-08-16_zpsrwgtdord

Here is what I got when I ran "apt --installed list" in an attempt to figure out what Wine stuff I have installed:

Screenshot%20from%202015-09-03WineProbs2

Running that instruction was enlightening because I had no idea I had gone so crazy with installing stuff. It's a LONG list. I must have installed something that's "blocking" the Netflix fix that AI1000 suggested I try, I guess.

Here's the section showing that Netflix-desktop seems to be installed.
NetflixDesktop2015-09-03%20153403_zpsooe

When I try to run Netflix Desktp I get this. However I haven't tried following through on that because I feel like I've gone through this before...so why isn't it working? Sorry if all this is confusing.
NetflixAppProb_zpst3q0lvv2.png

Machine: Toshiba Portege r705-P41, Dual Boot: MS Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit; Ubuntu 15.04
CPU: Intel Core i5 460M @ 2.53GHz Arrandale 32nm Technology,
RAM: 4.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 532MHz (7-7-7-20), Motherboard: TOSHIBA Portable PC (rBGA1288 Socket)
Video Card: Intel HD Graphics Revision 2 1720 MBytes

Speccy

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,799 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2015 - 02:52 PM

Yeah remove it, instead use pipelight instead (wine comphilio is pretty much dead these days) if you dont feel like the google chrome method

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#3 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,420 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2015 - 03:08 PM

Yup you can remove Netflix-Desktop. No need to have it anymore since Google Chrome works quite well to run Netflix!

OS - Ubuntu 14.04/16.04 & Windows 10
Custom Desktop PC / Lenovo Y580 / Sager NP8258 / Dell XPS 13 (9350)

#4 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,002 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2015 - 07:27 AM

There used to be workarounds required for the Google Chrome version to work, but no more! :thumbup2:

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2014/10/psa-netflix-ubuntu-now-working-box

You now have a lot to cleanup, I don't want WINE anywhere near my computer, and to use Pipelight, WINE folders are installed. Bring Windows code to a Linux computer only serves to lessen security & could cause issues in the future under the right circumstances. My suggestion is that any packages installed should be purged. You see the pics above of what's installed, go to the Package Manager & uninstall the items. 

I do have the extra fonts installed, anyone who needs this should do so before installing software that requires these, from the Terminal or Package Manager, enter 'ttf-mscorefonts-installer' in the Search box, click to install & Apply at the top of the interface. It's easier to do this from the Package Manager for many, because there's a EULA (the only one I've seen on Linux) to agree to. It's just a check box via the Package Manager, tricky to navigate through the Terminal, though not as bad as some makes it to be. I've done it both ways, the Terminal long before knowing it was in the Package Manager, the latter is much easier. 

Forget trying to do it through the Software Manager, all it does is hang. The Package Manager is more powerful than the Software one, though I do get quite a few items from there when clean installing an OS.  

Yes you should remove as much of WINE as possible, may have to use the option to show all of the hidden /home partition files, there's a lot more than what's shown in the folder with your name (example:.ubiq's Home). Any that says WINE or Pipelight after uninstall via the Package Manager needs to go. I'm not sure as to a Terminal command that can purge these & I'm against the use of 'cleaners' on Linux systems. Some may break the OS beyond repair if one doesn't know what they're doing & that's why I refuse to recommend these (plus long ago, wiped out my XP bootloader). 

Good Luck with Netflix.........& the needed cleanup of all of those risky files. :thumbup2:

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#5 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,799 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2015 - 12:22 PM

WINE as a security risk?

Thats a bit iffy, as wine installs most programs locally in /home as opposed to systemwide

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#6 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,002 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2015 - 01:57 AM

MadmanRB, that's also where the browsers & a lot of other software installs itself, I found this out when clean installing the next version of Linux Mint, formatting only the root partition, but not the /home or Swap, just marking these as such. 

After 4-5 of these 'clean upgrades', you'd be surprised at all of the garbage left behind from apps (sometimes uninstalled 3-4 versions ago, at times the icons from the last install will be there at boot. Until early this year, had recycled the same /home partition from Mint 12 to Mint 17.1, Once I purchased a larger HDD to hold my VM's, decided to start with a total clean slate, so placed the items I wanted to keep in a folder of one of my external backup drives & nuked the rest. 

So I want to protect that partition as much as possible, fortunately I have professional Linux security in ESET for Unices, but still WINE involves IE, something that I don't even want on my Windows installs & will surely not have it on my Linux ones. 

Years ago, I did play with WINE a bit & it was OK, but not anything to write home about. More recently, I assisted a member with getting Pipelight installed, not knowing it involved WINE, and afterwards, spent nearly an hour sifting through folders after uninstall & deleting anything WINE related. The native uninstallers aren't as good as performing this from the Terminal. 

Yet please don't take me the wrong way, there's some instances where WINE is needed, like for a Microsoft Office install & it used to be that way for Netflix. The only thing about having WINE on the system, it's like having part of Windows on it, this means extra security is needed, be it free (there's a Topic dedicated to Sophos) or a Pro version like I have, though not on every MInt system I have, my license isn't for unlimited devices. 

It's a gamble where the user must weigh the benefit & risk of having WINE installed. On my computers, any Windows software in Linux Mint are running in virtual machines & there's no sharing of folders. This is more secure & a better alternative to WINE, if the system has enough power & RAM to run a VM. I have a copy of Windows 10 Pro running in VMware Player on the OS, yet it can't access other folders, ans=d I flip down the Webcam's lid to prevent being spied on. And the main reason it's there are to assist my relatives & a few close friends in need, it may be booted 2 times a month, if that. 

The bottom line is, I'm a security freak, while some are comfortable with using WINE, and that's OK be me, it's not my computer, others feels different about the issue. I also uninstall any Torrent software that ships with the OS, as I don't want these apps around me, they're a security risk to use. 

Hope this explains my position on the issue. :)

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users