Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HTML5 video lags in web browser

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
6 replies to this topic

#1 RAMIA

RAMIA

• Members
  • 329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:57 AM

Posted 03 September 2015 - 02:38 PM

I have an nVidia GeForce 9500 GT on a 32-bit Linux Mate 17.2 system. If I try to watch 1080p videos in a web browser, the videos are lagging, even when they're fully buffered. If I download the video and play it outside of a browser, it works fine, and if I play it within a browser on Windows it's also fine. The graphics card driver I have on Linux is the best one, and installed correctly:
http://i58.tinypic.com/juii4k.png
http://i58.tinypic.com/30dfif7.png
If I run this Linux via Live USB and go to Youtube in Firefox, I see the videos play in Flash player and 1080p works fine. If I try to play HTML5 video in a media player, it lags. How can I fix this?

I am for peace

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,420 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:57 AM

Posted 03 September 2015 - 03:09 PM

This is the same topic as you already have..... No need to post a new one....

Err.. well at least your other post morphed into this topic anyway. So I suppose starting a new one is all good.

Edited by DeimosChaos, 03 September 2015 - 03:10 PM.

OS - Ubuntu 14.04/16.04 & Windows 10
Custom Desktop PC / Lenovo Y580 / Sager NP8258 / Dell XPS 13 (9350)

#3 RAMIA

RAMIA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 329 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2015 - 03:28 PM

but now the Topic Title, More suitable, no?

I am for peace

#4 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,420 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2015 - 03:49 PM

but now the Topic Title, More suitable, no?

Yup it is fine. I was thinking that your other topic was the same thing.. but it just went into this direction and not what the original topic was about (which was "how to run a program as root").
Hopefully someone knows something on this for you, the only thing (as I suggested before) I can think of (can't find much on this) is to just try another Linux distro and see what happens. Although, maybe, since it works via running the distro on a USB drive... you should get rid of the Nvidia drivers and go back to using the standard nouveau drivers that Mint will initially use for you Nvidia card. Maybe the proprietary drivers are messing with things.

OS - Ubuntu 14.04/16.04 & Windows 10
Custom Desktop PC / Lenovo Y580 / Sager NP8258 / Dell XPS 13 (9350)

#5 RAMIA

RAMIA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 329 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2015 - 06:34 PM

why i can't edit the Topic Title in this case?

I am for peace

#6 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,916 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:57 PM

Posted 03 September 2015 - 09:36 PM

why i can't edit the Topic Title in this case?

Please contact a Moderator and they will do it for you.

Nick.

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

#7 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,002 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2015 - 05:21 AM

It shows in the bottom picture posted that the recommended driver is installed & in use. The one on the background on the Web page is the same version. 

http://i58.tinypic.com/30dfif7.png

At any rate, Nick has posted tutorials on how to install NVIDIA drivers below & so did DC more recently. 

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/582154/how-to-install-nvidia-graphic-drivers-non-repository-install/

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/549534/nvidia-drivers-how-to-install-it-in-ubuntu-14041204/

Nick has also created a Topic in regards to Media Codecs that may be needed for video playback (do this before anything to see if your issue is solved). 

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/576526/install-media-codecs-enable-dvd-playback/

Hopefully installing the codecs alone may greatly improve the situation. Finally, the graphics card is kind of dated & you can not expect the performance of a much newer, higher powered card that likely also uses less energy & costs less than when that one was released. Looked to be a popular card between 2008-2010, finally fizzling out by 2011. Technology evolves, with that in mind, we must move with the flow to meet the demands of today. There are many nice GPU's in the $100-125 range, these are slowly dropping in price. Even a used one of just 2 years back would be a major improvement, if you know anyone who has purchased a new one & wants to sell the other, many upgrades GPU's every 2-3 years at the most. I'll likely upgrade mine again by that time, but will upgrade the PSU first, so that I can get a purebred performance card. 

There are cards like the AMD Radeon HD 7770 series that are dirt cheap & runs great on Linux, plus has 1GB GDDR5 memory, mine was the MSI PMD1GD5 (R7770) OC edition. Though I payed $110 for the card, the price later dropped to $75. If I had a 2nd PC it would install into, wouldn't be sitting in it's box unused. 

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users