Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unlocking Cryptolocked files

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3 replies to this topic

#1 unclestewie

unclestewie

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:22 PM

Posted 03 September 2015 - 02:27 PM

I recently became infected with a cryptolocker virus. It is pointing me to a web address to find instructions for paying my ransom and receving the unlock key. I have not done this and am looking for tools that will decrypt the cryptolocker virus.  Thanks!!

Edited by hamluis, 04 September 2015 - 03:22 PM.
Moved from MRL to Gen Security - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,586 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:22 PM

Posted 04 September 2015 - 05:26 PM

Are there any file extensions appended to your files...such as .ecc, .ezz, .exx, .zzz, .xyz, .aaa, .abc, .CTBL, .CTB2, .XTBL, .encrypted, .vault, .HA3, .toxcrypt or 6-7 length extension consisting of random characters?

Did you find any ransom note? These infections are created to alert victims that their data has been encrypted and demand a ransom payment. Check your documents folder for an image the malware typically uses for the background note. Check the C:\ProgramData (or C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data) for a random named .html, .txt, .png, .bmp, .url file.

These are some examples.
HELP_DECRYPT.TXT, HELP_DECRYPT.HTML, HELP_DECRYPT.URL, HELP_DECRYPT.PNG
HELP_TO_DECRYPT_YOUR_FILES.bmp, HELP_TO_DECRYPT_YOUR_FILES.txt, HELP_RESTORE_FILES.txt
HELP_TO_SAVE_FILES.txt, HELP_TO_SAVE_FILES.bmp, RECOVERY_KEY.txt, DecryptAllFiles.txt
DECRYPT_INSTRUCTION.TXT, DECRYPT_INSTRUCTION.HTML, DECRYPT_INSTRUCTION.URL
HOW_TO_DECRYPT_FILES.txt, How_To_Recover_Files.txt, About_Files, encryptor_raas_readme_liesmich.txt
RECOVERY_FILES.html, RECOVERY_FILES.txt, Recovery_File_*****.html, Recovery_File_*****.txt
restore_files_*****.html, restore_files_*****.txt (where ***** are random characters)

Once you have identified which particular ransomware you are dealing with, I can direct you to the appropriate discussion topic for further assistance.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 unclestewie

unclestewie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:22 PM

Posted 06 September 2015 - 08:48 AM

Thanks for the info. Here is what I found. Help_decrypt files (html, png, text, and internet shortcut) in all my folders. The ransom note indicated my files were encrypted with RSA-2048 using CryptoWall 3.0.

I did not see any random extensions to my files either.

Thanks for any help you can give.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,586 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:22 PM

Posted 06 September 2015 - 06:28 PM

- CryptoWall 3.0 leaves files (ransom notes) named:
HELP_DECRYPT.TXT
HELP_DECRYPT.HTML
HELP_DECRYPT.URL
HELP_DECRYPT.PNG

A repository of all current knowledge regarding CryptoWall, CryptoWall 2.0 & CryptoWall 3.0 is provided by Grinler (aka Lawrence Abrams), in this topic: CryptoWall and DECRYPT_INSTRUCTION Ransomware Information Guide and FAQ

There are also ongoing discussions in these topics:Rather than have everyone start individual topics, it would be best (and more manageable for staff) if you posted any questions, comments or requests for assistance in one of those topic discussions. Doing that will also ensure you receive proper assistance from our crypto malware experts since they may not see this thread. To avoid unnecessary confusion...this topic is closed.

Thanks
The BC Staff
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users