Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sony Vaio keeps freezing

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 kcbronson

kcbronson

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:19 PM

Posted 03 September 2015 - 01:27 PM

I got a Sony Vaio that likes to freeze up within roughly 10-15 minutes of using it, I've been able to install Malwarebytes and Avast, as the complainant thinks it's a virus because it started happening a week ago. Whenever I run Malwarebytes, or Avast, it locks up completely. I tried diagnostics on the hard drive, and it did't find anything other than I believe it was telling me I should do a defrag, Computer freezes during analyzing process of defrag. It would also freeze during "boot-time scan" from Avast. And 7 out of 10 times if it was running decent and I need to properly shut down or restart, it will freeze on shutting down splash screen. Windows is up to date. I found a forum stating to update the SATA drivers, did that and now it just runs sluggish and eventually creates a snowball effect to where I have no choice but to force shut down. It will do all these things in Safe Mode as well.

SPECS:

Sony Vaio VPCEE25FX / PCG-61611L

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-Bit

AMD Athlon II Dual Core Processor (2.09GHz)

4GB - RAM

Edited by kcbronson, 03 September 2015 - 04:11 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 kcbronson

kcbronson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2015 - 12:02 AM

An update since I posted this earlier today. I ran PuppyLinux on it and didn't have any problems after running it for 45 minutes, although afterwards I realized that running puppylinux is not really going to use the HDD. But I also feel it did rule out any other potential hardware problems. I was able to install Hard Drive Sentinel, and the test result show the Hard Drive was in pretty good condition. Performance was at 100% and Health was at 95%. So now I've narrowed the problem down to Windows! Now i don't know what to do next.

Attached Files

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:19 PM

Posted 04 September 2015 - 04:16 PM

Let's start with these bootable diagnostics:  http://www.carrona.org/initdiag.html

Please be sure to run the bootable hard drive diagnostics as this will be more accurate than a generic tester.

Post back with the results and we'll move on from there.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 kcbronson

kcbronson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2015 - 11:45 PM

Well unfortunately the only HDD tester I could use was the SeaToolsforWindows. I couldn't find any software off Samsung's website (or a Google search) as the directions tell me. I installed the program and ran a "short generic test" showed everything was fine, but the "long generic test" froze due to the original problem. If I can find one I could run on a disc during boot, the ones it suggested appeared to be .exe's rather than .iso's that would be preferred to possibly avoid the freeze-ups (as you suggested) unless I didn't look/read good enough. The HDD is a Samsung HM321HI

Edited by kcbronson, 04 September 2015 - 11:51 PM.

#5 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2015 - 05:08 AM

With a Win7 Sony you should be able to place a bootable CD/DVD in the tray and it should automatically boot to the test.

I'd suggest using the Seatools for DOS and the long generic test.  You have to burn the ISO file to a disk using a special program in order to make the disk bootable.  One of those programs is also mentioned at http://www.carrona.org/hddiag.html

As the WIndows test freezes while testing, that suggests that the problem is with the hard drive (but it's not definite).

The bootable test may/may not run - but if it doesn't run then the next step would be to try another hard drive.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 kcbronson

kcbronson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2015 - 11:22 AM

I figured out my mistake, and yes, I didn't read well. I ran the SeaTools for DOS, ran the Long Generic Test, and after it running for roughly an hour, it found 83 errors the first time and 81 errors the second time, but both times it made it to 99% complete and it gave me a pop up saying it failed. I didn't quite understand how to retrieve the log file from it afterwards. It wouldn't even run the Short Generic Test, it kept saying it failed seconds after starting. I'll attach the "screen shots"  :lmao: Attached File  IMAG0184.jpg   65.61KB   0 downloadsAttached File  IMAG0185.jpg   61.17KB   0 downloads

#7 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2015 - 06:03 PM

If it gave that many errors, the next step is to get another hard drive and a set of recovery disks so you can reinstall Windows.

Contact Sony for a set (most often they're free - but even if they charge it's less expensive than purchasing a full version of the OS from Microsoft):  http://www.carrona.org/recdisc.html#sony

#8 kcbronson

kcbronson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2015 - 09:46 PM

Problem Solved!! And I feel dumb... Decided I was going to try checkdisk again by Right Clicking the C: drive > Properties > Tools > "Check Now" in Error-Checking. Made sure I checked "Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors". Restarted, and I thought it froze up again after about 15 minutes but decided to wait a little bit before force shutting down and to my surprise it was still running, just very slowly. I had to go somewhere 2 hours after I had started it and it was only 13% completed by then. I had noticed with was patching up the disk errors. I came back home 3 hours later, the computer was asleep, woke it up, and it was at the desktop running like nothing was wrong with it! So I wish I was patient the first couple times running it check disk, instead of assuming it was froze up. Thanks for the help cause now I have some more tools in my toolbox.

#9 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2015 - 06:06 AM

Keep an eye on the disk and keep your data backed up.

At work we frequently see these problems turn into a dead hard drive in a short time.

Good luck!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users