Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

administraive rights?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 nostrow

nostrow

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:14 PM

Posted 03 September 2015 - 11:53 AM

How do I make sure a user profile has full administrative rights? I've had issues with my two windows 8.1 machines administrator access not actually granting full administrative rights. We use Sage Timberline and it requires the user to have "You must have full control access rights to all folders or shares that contain Sage Timberline Office program files and data files." The user is part of a domain and it seems like the user doesn't have rights to the local machine. Anyone able to toss me some ideas? I've been googling. I've not had any issues with any of my windows 7 machines, so this is unique to windows 8.1 pro. Thank you for any assistance you can provide me.

Nikki

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nostrow

nostrow
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2015 - 02:51 PM

Upon further research I believe my problem lies in that user A's account was set up as a microsoft account and user B (who is not having issues) was set up as a local account. I've found instructions on how to switch between the two types but what Isn't super clear to me is what settings/functionality user A will lose when I switch him from a MS account to a local account? I don't care about the MS Store, I'm more concerned with his files/folders that kind of thing. Anyone know? Thanks.

#3 Atomic77

Atomic77

• Members
  • 213 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2015 - 04:28 PM

Well I believe the admin is always the person that owns the computer and the account is always administrator unless you have guest accounts set up or something. my account on windows 8.1 is a ms account and im the administrator on my computer. there really is no difference between a local account and a ms account. its just that the local account does not have access to Microsoft online stuff like Hotmail ect. Im not 100% sure on this but Im not sure what else I can give you.

ATOMIC77

​GEEKED AT BIRTH

#4 nostrow

nostrow
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2015 - 08:38 AM

Thanks for the reply, from what I've read 8.1 does do something goofy with regards to administrative rights, it's different than Windows has ever done. I'll keep on it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users