Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Issues/Green Bar when connecting to File Server Windows 2008 R2

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 redbulldog

redbulldog

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:06 AM

Posted 03 September 2015 - 08:55 AM

I am working in a high school where they are running a Windows Server 2008 R2 as a File/Printer server.  There is one user that is having issues connecting to his mapped network drive and accessing his documents from his Windows 7 Professional client.  He will try to open a Word file stored on the server and the green progress bar will slowly crawl along for a few minutes until the file ultimately can't open.  This happens at least once a week, sometimes more.  He seems to be the only person having this issue on a regular basis.  He also uses remote desktop connection to connect to the server and use an accounting software installed on the server.  Not sure if this could be part of the problem.  I can ping the server fine from his computer.  I have tried doing ipconfig /release, renew, and flushdns, and also restarting his computer, but that doesn't have an effect.  The only solution I have found is to restart the server.  Could really use some help on this issue.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:06 PM

Posted 03 September 2015 - 05:51 PM

Does he have the same issue if he uses a different workstation?

#3 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,242 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2015 - 11:43 AM

Also, is he the only person connecting to this server using RDP?

#4 redbulldog

redbulldog
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2015 - 08:36 AM

The only other person connecting is me, the system administrator.

#5 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,242 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2015 - 08:54 AM

What applications does he have open on his computer when he's trying to connect to the server? This could be an issue related to his computer -- not enough RAM, or the CPU is already being used by other processes. Does he have this problem opening files on his computer, rather than the server?

If it only happens when he connects to the remote server, it may be his Internet connection is slow. What sort of upload/download speeds does he have?

How does he launch the accounting software during a remote session? Is it possible for him to install the accounting software on his computer, and just open the files remotely? 

#6 JohnnyJammer

JohnnyJammer

• Members
  • 1,117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:06 PM

Posted 07 September 2015 - 06:48 PM

i found this issue can occour with Windows index service is running on the server, you may need to rebuild the index from scratch mate.

#7 Darktune

Darktune

Very Purple

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:06 AM

Posted 08 September 2015 - 04:54 PM

Hello redbulldog,

As the previous poster mentioned, it could be the indexing service on the server.
Is this person opening the file on the RDP connection or as a network share?

Regards,

Darktune

It's very hard to imagine all the crazy things that things really are like. 

Electrons act like waves.. no they don't exactly, they act like particles.. no they don't exactly.

Words and ideas can change the world.

#8 redbulldog

redbulldog
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2015 - 09:23 AM

Hello redbulldog,

As the previous poster mentioned, it could be the indexing service on the server.
Is this person opening the file on the RDP connection or as a network share?

Regards,

Darktune

They are opening the file as a network share.

#9 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,242 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2015 - 01:22 PM

So he is using RDP to connect to the server, opens the application that is running on the server, and then opens the file from a mapped network drive on his client? That's a lot of network connections, and could be why it takes so long to open the file.

Can he map the network drive to the server instead of his client?

#10 redbulldog

redbulldog
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2015 - 10:59 AM

The thing is, even if I restart his computer it doesn't help things.  I can only get it working by restarting the server.

#11 JohnnyJammer

JohnnyJammer

• Members
  • 1,117 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2015 - 06:31 PM

The thing is, even if I restart his computer it doesn't help things.  I can only get it working by restarting the server.

Dont worry mate i have had this issue a lot and the only way to get rid of it was to stop the File index service (Windows Search) running on the server.

from memory server 2008 R2 uses the Jeta database to store the index (Same as DFSR volumes) so rebuilding this from scratch may help.

#12 redbulldog

redbulldog
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2015 - 11:27 AM

Dont worry mate i have had this issue a lot and the only way to get rid of it was to stop the File index service (Windows Search) running on the server.

from memory server 2008 R2 uses the Jeta database to store the index (Same as DFSR volumes) so rebuilding this from scratch may help.

The indexing service is not installed on the server.

#13 JohnnyJammer

JohnnyJammer

• Members
  • 1,117 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2015 - 06:04 PM

Ok then it must be the client PC,

run the following command on his/her computer

control /name microsoft.folderoptions

and then hit restore to defaults.

Edited by JohnnyJammer, 15 September 2015 - 06:04 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users