Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Advice on a new Headset

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Hower

Hower

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:54 AM

Posted 03 September 2015 - 07:51 AM

Hello Forum, 
I hope i am posting in the right place.
I'm a gamer in need of a new headset. I've had a siberia V2 before and i extremely pleased with it in every aspect. Comfort, sounds, bass and rigidity. Right now i have a budget of about 200-300 USD to spend on a new one. I am not the biggest audio geek so that's why i'm posting here, hoping maybe someone might help me find the best headset for my needs.

What i'm looking for in a headset is primarily comfort and good sound quality.A very strong point for a headset for me at least is the surround sound aspect of it. I am not necessarily talking about having 5.1 or 7.1 audio in the headset. But when i do play games like Counter strike and such i do want to be able to tell exactly where my teammates and where my enemy is. The siberia V2 that i had did an amazing job at this, despite being a 2.1 stereo headset.  I do want the bass to be deep and punchy, but not too much bass because for me that could ruin the experience as a whole. If anyone has owned a siberia V2 before, that's the kind of bass i am looking for at least. I have heard some good things about companies like Audio Technica and Plantronics but are they the best ones for this budged? I couldn't say. Maybe someone here knows more about this matter than i do. 

Another thing i do want to emphasize with this headset is a good quality microphone. I hate it when i'm talking to someone over skype or something else and they just doing sound good because their microphones are bad. I know some microphones tend to make sounds like P and B sound a bit too harsh and i would like to avoid that. Breathing that much air into the microphone isn't very pleasing for the person listening to me.

Thank you to anyone who answers in advance. :) 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SEANIA

SEANIA

• Members
  • 377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:54 PM

Posted 03 September 2015 - 08:04 PM

Have you seen the new Logitech G933 Artemis Spectrum? It hits all those points. Logitech has even been trying to compare it to audiophile grade headphones. Price is 200$ USD. 

*takes a deep breath*

If a headset costs over 200$ there is a good chance that whatever company is selling it is just marking it up by 200% to make it cost that much (not always true, but mostly). On top of that, they probably didn't make it to begin with either. There are a lot of those rebrand companies going around, so make sure to avoid them. 

You will not find a good mike on a gaming headset. 

You will not find good speakers on a gaming headset.

Most importantly- there is no such thing as a true surround sound headset. All headsets are 2.1 stereo, but do some kind of 7.1/5.1 to binaural surround sound in software before sending it off to the speakers. Some headsets may have smaller speakers surrounding the main driver to try to give a better sense of direction- but it's still technically a form of stereo. 

Now that that's out of the way. If you really want a high quality, great sounding, "surround sound" headset with a really good mike this is what you do-

1.Buy audiophile grade headphones with relatively low impedance.

The Sony MDRV6 and the Sennheiser HD280 Pro are both considered some of the "best" headphones and are very respectable. Both are 100$ USD and are made in a monitor audio design- meaning nothing is enhanced but is exactly where it should be. Both headphones impedance is only 64 Ohms, meaning they can be used on almost anything. If anyone laughs at either as low quality they obviously have no idea what they're talking about and proably use Beats (which are terrible headphones audio wise).  

2.Buy a audio card that can drive those headphones and has that 7.1/5.1 to binaural built into it. 

Almost all ASUS audio cards have the feature. It's listed as "Dolby Technologies" under the feature listing. I recommend the ASUS Xonar DX from them. Amazon lists it at 81$ USD, but other places may price it up to 100$. Some games already have a version of the conversion built in(Skyrim, Battlefield 3, and some others) and that may be why you've already noticed some degree of direction on your stereo headset. However no one uses true binaural as the copyright holders for that prevent anyone from using it (in a convoluted way they make more money from doing that). 

3.Buy a mic to attach to the headphones. 

Yes you can buy your own mike to attach to it. It's not a fancy convoluted trick. They do make mics specifically for attaching to headphones. They're be waaayyy better then any headset mic to. I recommend the AntLion Audio ModMic 4.0  at a reasonable 50$ USD for the most amazing sound quality you've ever heard come out of a headset ever. Oh and here are some clips they make to make attaching it to any pair of headphones supper easy. Set one, set two. Combined price of both is 7$ USD. 

Sub Total Minus Tax- 250$

Audio quality-  Better then any gaming headset ever made. 

Retail price for a all in one of this?- Does not exist! However I've heard good things about the Logitech one I mentioned at the beginning of this that makes it seem like it comes really close.  

Oh, and the reason the Skype quality sucked might just be because Skype will endlessly compress your audio to terribly poor qualities unless your connection is perfect. You should however, be able to manually adjust your outgoing audio on your end so that it doesn't get compressed to much. It's in settings for Skype....somewhere. Ask the other person you're on the line with to do the same thing if you don't like their audio quality. 

EDIT:

You didn't tell us what country you live in. All products are listed within the USA in USD because of it as a default. 

Edited by SEANIA, 03 September 2015 - 08:12 PM.

99% of the time, I edit for type-o's and grammar. I'll note it if that's not the case. 

I write near essays for most my responses, and then try to condense as best I can to the introduction of one. Less is more. Let me know if I post to much. 

I do a lot of spacing for readability. Let me know if that makes my posts seem to big. 

#3 Hower

Hower
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:54 AM

Posted 04 September 2015 - 03:54 AM

Have you seen the new Logitech G933 Artemis Spectrum? It hits all those points. Logitech has even been trying to compare it to audiophile grade headphones. Price is 200$ USD. 

*takes a deep breath*

If a headset costs over 200$ there is a good chance that whatever company is selling it is just marking it up by 200% to make it cost that much (not always true, but mostly). On top of that, they probably didn't make it to begin with either. There are a lot of those rebrand companies going around, so make sure to avoid them. 

You will not find a good mike on a gaming headset. 

You will not find good speakers on a gaming headset.

Most importantly- there is no such thing as a true surround sound headset. All headsets are 2.1 stereo, but do some kind of 7.1/5.1 to binaural surround sound in software before sending it off to the speakers. Some headsets may have smaller speakers surrounding the main driver to try to give a better sense of direction- but it's still technically a form of stereo. 

Now that that's out of the way. If you really want a high quality, great sounding, "surround sound" headset with a really good mike this is what you do-

1.Buy audiophile grade headphones with relatively low impedance.

The Sony MDRV6 and the Sennheiser HD280 Pro are both considered some of the "best" headphones and are very respectable. Both are 100$ USD and are made in a monitor audio design- meaning nothing is enhanced but is exactly where it should be. Both headphones impedance is only 64 Ohms, meaning they can be used on almost anything. If anyone laughs at either as low quality they obviously have no idea what they're talking about and proably use Beats (which are terrible headphones audio wise).  

2.Buy a audio card that can drive those headphones and has that 7.1/5.1 to binaural built into it. 

Almost all ASUS audio cards have the feature. It's listed as "Dolby Technologies" under the feature listing. I recommend the ASUS Xonar DX from them. Amazon lists it at 81$ USD, but other places may price it up to 100$. Some games already have a version of the conversion built in(Skyrim, Battlefield 3, and some others) and that may be why you've already noticed some degree of direction on your stereo headset. However no one uses true binaural as the copyright holders for that prevent anyone from using it (in a convoluted way they make more money from doing that). 

3.Buy a mic to attach to the headphones. 

Yes you can buy your own mike to attach to it. It's not a fancy convoluted trick. They do make mics specifically for attaching to headphones. They're be waaayyy better then any headset mic to. I recommend the AntLion Audio ModMic 4.0  at a reasonable 50$ USD for the most amazing sound quality you've ever heard come out of a headset ever. Oh and here are some clips they make to make attaching it to any pair of headphones supper easy. Set one, set two. Combined price of both is 7$ USD. 

Sub Total Minus Tax- 250$

Audio quality-  Better then any gaming headset ever made. 

Retail price for a all in one of this?- Does not exist! However I've heard good things about the Logitech one I mentioned at the beginning of this that makes it seem like it comes really close.  

Oh, and the reason the Skype quality sucked might just be because Skype will endlessly compress your audio to terribly poor qualities unless your connection is perfect. You should however, be able to manually adjust your outgoing audio on your end so that it doesn't get compressed to much. It's in settings for Skype....somewhere. Ask the other person you're on the line with to do the same thing if you don't like their audio quality. 

EDIT:

You didn't tell us what country you live in. All products are listed within the USA in USD because of it as a default. 

while all this i fine and dandy, my point for a headset still stands. I travel a lot and i use different laptops of mine and desktop PCs. So buying a sound card or a separate mic from the headphones isn't a very convenient option.

#4 SEANIA

SEANIA

• Members
  • 377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:54 PM

Posted 07 September 2015 - 12:40 AM

while all this i fine and dandy, my point for a headset still stands. I travel a lot and i use different laptops of mine and desktop PCs. So buying a sound card or a separate mic from the headphones isn't a very convenient option.

Hence the recommendation for the Logitech headset. You should've/should put that in your original post since it's a requirement. 

If you need a headset with a mic that doesn't jet out like the one on the Logitech Artemis- your out of luck for a quality.They will pick up back round sound like crazy because of how sensitive they have to be. A lot of them will try to filter it out through software, but it generally doesn't work very well and impacts sound quality in a bad way. The filters can make your voice cut in and out to unless you speak really loud. 

Edited by SEANIA, 07 September 2015 - 12:42 AM.

99% of the time, I edit for type-o's and grammar. I'll note it if that's not the case. 

I write near essays for most my responses, and then try to condense as best I can to the introduction of one. Less is more. Let me know if I post to much. 

I do a lot of spacing for readability. Let me know if that makes my posts seem to big. 

#5 Guest_IWant2Help_*

Guest_IWant2Help_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 11 September 2015 - 03:35 AM

Hyperx cloud: http://www.amazon.com/HyperX-Cloud-Gaming-Headset-KHX-H3CL/dp/B00JJNQG98/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1441959738&sr=8-1&keywords=hyperx+cloud

Plantronics Gamecom 780: http://www.amazon.com/Plantronics-GameCom-780-Headset-Surround/dp/B00B1KJK22/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1441960022&sr=8-2&keywords=plantronics+380

Corsair H1500http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Gaming-H1500-Headset-CA-9011128-NA/dp/B00N803EMU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1441960291&sr=8-1&keywords=corsair+h1500

Corsair Void Stereo: http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Gaming-Stereo-Headset-CA-9011131-NA/dp/B013GMX68G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1441960360&sr=8-1&keywords=corsair+void+stereo

Would strongly suggest you take a look at the Kingston HyperX Cloud, its one of those rare gaming headsets with good sound!
I havent tried the Plantronics but i have heard a lot of good things about them.

And Corsair has decent sound compared to the competition.

NOTE: That the HyperX cloud has a slightly higher impedance than other headphones so soundcard would be recommended for optimal experience.

Edited by IWant2Help, 11 September 2015 - 03:38 AM.

#6 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 3,019 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2015 - 05:46 AM

http://www.amazon.com/Razer-Carcharias-Gaming-Headset-Stereo/dp/B001QFZLK2

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#7 Guest_IWant2Help_*

Guest_IWant2Help_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 11 September 2015 - 06:03 AM

1. Almost all of Razer's products are overpriced. Like 145$ for that?!

2. Razer are known for delivering subpar sound in their headsets.

3. All Razer headsets are bass heavy with mids being drowned.

#8 Anti_Malware

Anti_Malware

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:54 PM

Posted 15 September 2015 - 02:26 AM

Ive always been a huge fan of Roccat gaming headset. Been using it for years.

http://www.roccat.org/en-US/Products/Gaming-Sound/Kave-Series/Kave-XTD-5-1-Analog/

It has good specifications. Real 5.1 Surround, Zero noise technology. Best of all its comfy on your ears. :)

Whatever Your Mind Can Conceive And Believe, It Can Achieve - Napoleon Hill

#9 SEANIA

SEANIA

• Members
  • 377 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2015 - 05:28 AM

Ive always been a huge fan of Roccat gaming headset. Been using it for years.

http://www.roccat.org/en-US/Products/Gaming-Sound/Kave-Series/Kave-XTD-5-1-Analog/

It has good specifications. Real 5.1 Surround, Zero noise technology. Best of all its comfy on your ears. :)

They make those? Never seen anything like from other manufacturers. Well almost. I've seen a pair of quadraphonic headphones from, I think it was, JVC. You know from back when quadraphonic setups were a popular thing.  That Roccat is pretty impressive, first non 7.1/5.1 to binaural surround sound headset I've ever seen.

Overall pointless since OP wants one for a laptop....and laptops don't have surround sound analog out. 

#10 heatherblankj

heatherblankj

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:54 AM

Posted 19 September 2015 - 03:18 PM

Would strongly suggest you take a look at the Kingston HyperX Cloud, its one of those rare gaming headsets with good sound!
I havent tried the Plantronics but i have heard a lot of good things about them.

And Corsair has decent sound compared to the competition.

NOTE: That the HyperX cloud has a slightly higher impedance than other headphones so soundcard would be recommended for optimal experience.

I would have to recommend the HyperX Cloud II as well, bought one for my little brother about 6 months ago and he love it. He's previously owned multiple models of turtle beach and some others and claims the HyperX is the best as far as sound quality and the mic goes. You could also check out one of these guides.. I've gone on their recommendation in the past and they seem to know their stuff!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users