Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is this just another rogue PUP, or a legit useful tool?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 robby501

robby501

• Members
  • 179 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:55 AM

Posted 03 September 2015 - 07:39 AM

Hope it's ok to post the link here? If it gets moved or deleted by a site staff member, that's ok. I'd just like an opinion, that's all. It seems pretty new since it's aimed at Win10....any thoughts, please?........http://app.pckeeper.com/land/7.13.222/index.php?affid=mzb_187.9558925.1441282919.4.mzb&utm_source=dblpmp&utm_medium=popunder&utm_campaign=pck

Im a rookie and purely recreational pc user. Im utterly obsessed with security (even though I consider myself a safe and law-abiding internet user!) and run a combo of the following freeware security suites.....

Windows Defender/firewall

Regular scans with Malwarebytes, AdwCleaner, JRT, HitmanPro

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,662 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:55 AM

Posted 03 September 2015 - 08:02 AM

It looks like yet another PC Optimizer program but I can't tell for sure. Also the WoT rating for that website is positive (green), which is rarely the case for real PUP programs. I'll install it in a VM and see how it goes.

By the way, your URL only opens a new tab and closes it immediately.

PCKeeper Live:
http://pckeeper.com/en/live
PCKeeper Antivirus:
http://pckeeper.com/en/antivirus

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 robby501

robby501
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 179 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2015 - 08:11 AM

It looks like yet another PC Optimizer program but I can't tell for sure. Also the WoT rating for that website is positive (green), which is rarely the case for real PUP programs. I'll install it in a VM and see how it goes.

By the way, your URL only opens a new tab and closes it immediately.

PCKeeper Live:

http://pckeeper.com/en/live
PCKeeper Antivirus:
http://pckeeper.com/en/antivirus

Nice one, thanks, Aura!

My reason for asking is that I have had a few 'teething' issues with Win10.....3 complete crashes and tool bars/windows that don't respond when I clicked them, but since acting on an update that was offered by Windows themselves, all seems ok now. It SEEMED to me at least that such a tool might be useful in the future...if it's legitimate, of course!?

Edited by robby501, 03 September 2015 - 08:12 AM.

Im a rookie and purely recreational pc user. Im utterly obsessed with security (even though I consider myself a safe and law-abiding internet user!) and run a combo of the following freeware security suites.....

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,662 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2015 - 08:16 AM

Looks like PCKeeper even have a Wikipedia article for it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PCKeeper

Edit: Nevermind, just noticed that there's no free/trial version of it so I cannot test it.

Edited by Aura, 03 September 2015 - 08:18 AM.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#5 robby501

robby501
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 179 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2015 - 08:22 AM

Thanks again, Aura.

Just a thought, but is there a dedicated forum within BC in which links to 'questionable' download sites/programs can be posted by members who would like to try to get some advice in order to ascertain whether these kind of programs might be legit/useful.....or not? (as I have done here)

Edited by robby501, 03 September 2015 - 08:23 AM.

#6 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,662 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2015 - 08:25 AM

Not really. Usually, I would expect such links to be posted in the General Security section. However, most of the time you'll be told to check the legitimacy of the website using online scanners, since posting links to potentially harmful websites and programs isn't allowed here. So the thread might get closed.

unite_blue.png

#7 robby501

robby501
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 179 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2015 - 08:33 AM

Not really. Usually, I would expect such links to be posted in the General Security section. However, most of the time you'll be told to check the legitimacy of the website using online scanners, since posting links to potentially harmful websites and programs isn't allowed here. So the thread might get closed.

Ok, I'll take on board what you said here for future reference. 

If I have broken any rules, I apologize. One thing that I didn't do when I joined here is look through a list of boardroom rules which I am sure exist somewhere on these forums.

If you think I should remove the link, I'd be happy to do so.

If I don't hear back from you, I'll leave it at that. Thanks for your help.

Edited by robby501, 03 September 2015 - 08:34 AM.

#8 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,662 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2015 - 08:34 AM

Don't worry about it, now that you know, it's all good :) Also, the rules can be found in the link below.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forum-rules/

unite_blue.png

#9 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,482 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2015 - 03:34 PM

Bleeping Computer DOES NOT recommend the use of registry cleaners/optimizers for several reasons.

Why you should not use Registry Cleaners and Optimization Tools

Be sure to read Microsoft's support policy for the use of registry cleaning utilities in that topic...Microsoft does not support the use of registry cleaners.

There are numerous programs which purport to improve system performance, make repairs and tune up a computer. Many of them include such features as a registry cleaner, registry optimizer, disk optimizer, etc. These registry cleaners and optimizers claim to speed up your computer by finding and removing orphaned and corrupt registry entries that are responsible for slowing down system performance. There is no statistical evidence to back such claims. Advertisements to do so are a marketing ploy intended to goad users into using an unnecessary and potential dangerous product. I would not trust any results such programs detect as problematic or needing repair nor recommend using the options to fix them.

Further, these types of junk optimization programs are often bundled with other software you download and most are considered Potentially Unwanted Programs (PUPs) so they may be detected or even removed by some security scanners which specifically look for PUPs and adware.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users