Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

LastPass Or Dashlane? Password Managers, need help

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

Poll: Wich is hte most secure and Safest to use? (5 member(s) have cast votes)

Lastpass Or Dashlane

1. Lastpass (5 votes [100.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 100.00%

2. Dashlane (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 SmurfonWheels

SmurfonWheels

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:00 AM

Posted 03 September 2015 - 05:52 AM

LastPass Or Dashlane?

Password Managers

Have used both of them but I can not decide
Which is the best or which is the safest or easiest
To control, I want a secure and easy simple way to
use control my passwords with them being safe,
lastpass is a addon, dashlane
Is a addon and program on your PC, both of them are
Good and easy to use I just wanted help with choosing
the best and more flexible and safe one because online,
people are saying one or the other and I just don't know which one to chose
and i have no experience with password managers and dont know much and them

Wich is hte most secure and Safest to use?

i use firefox, search engine is duckduckgo and windows 10

First ever Topic btw

i dont know if this is the right place to post in sorry if i got it wrong

Thank you for your time :3

Edited by SmurfonWheels, 03 September 2015 - 09:29 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,198 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:00 PM

Posted 03 September 2015 - 06:59 AM

I've been using LastPass for a bit more over a year now. It's really easy to use and it integrates itself very well in every web browsers I use/used: Internet Explorer, Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox. The password generator feature is also easy of access since you can generate unique passwords for every accounts you create. Since I have LastPass Premium, I also have the app on my Android phone and it works very well with all the apps I have (on top of working in the Chrome browser), so I would go with it. If we are talking free version, LastPass offers more than Dashlane.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 SmurfonWheels

SmurfonWheels
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2015 - 07:10 AM

thanks for the reply :) i noticed that dashlane can be very buggy allso Hmm xD, haha lastpas seems more popula allso, i was looking to go into the Premium on eather of them but was a bit confused why dashlane charged somuch

lastpass seems to be more pulling my way XD

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,198 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2015 - 07:59 AM

LastPass isn't that expansive compared to DashLane, and also they offer a few promotions per year bringing the price down, or you can get free 1 year coupons sometimes.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#5 SmurfonWheels

SmurfonWheels
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2015 - 08:07 AM

thank you so much for the help :) this Website/Forum, i really like so much help on here :) thank you again for the nice support

#6 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,198 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2015 - 08:12 AM

No problem Smurfon, you're welcome :) By the way, some users will also suggest you offline password managers which in theory are safer (because Dashlane and LastPass save your data on their servers, if they get breached, all your information gets compromised). The most popular offline one is KeePass. It offers a range of plugins and even an Android app.

http://keepass.info/

It's also still actively maintained. You can even put it on a USB Flash Drive and use it from there.

unite_blue.png

#7 SmurfonWheels

SmurfonWheels
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2015 - 08:17 AM

Thank you

my worry is that If i get a virus or malware or a backdoor or what ever they are on my pc is that all that info is acsessable to the person, but via online they are alot more secure encripted and and you can change the passwords if they get breached. not sure if im right with all of that am i?

#8 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,198 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2015 - 08:20 AM

You're right, but I think KeePass offers you the option to encrypt your database and password protect it. So even if a malware managed to steal it, the hacker couldn't do anything without your password for that database.

unite_blue.png

#9 SmurfonWheels

SmurfonWheels
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2015 - 08:25 AM

haha this is so hard to choose lastpass or KeePass, can you get KeePass on your mobile with the same account? because then that is probaly a yes for me XD so i can encript my data and then no one can do sod all with it, allso one thing to ask with KeePass can the malware gets hold of it can he delete it so i wil forever not know what my passwords are

#10 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,198 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2015 - 08:27 AM

To use KeePass on your mobile, you don't use an "account", you have to transfer the database file that contains your data on your phone and point the KeePass app at it. They also have a Google Chrome extension I think. Basically, KeePass doesn't work via accounts, but database files.

unite_blue.png

#11 SmurfonWheels

SmurfonWheels
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2015 - 09:00 AM

OOO and is the database Secure? like all of it cripted? and can it not delete the file database?

im so sorry im a noobie at this

#12 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,198 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2015 - 09:20 AM

I'm pretty sure that the database can be deleted like any other files, unless the ACL are modified. And the database is encrypted, yes. I think that quietman and Animal uses KeePass, so if they see this thread they'll be able to answer your questions.

Edited by Aura, 03 September 2015 - 09:21 AM.

unite_blue.png

#13 SmurfonWheels

SmurfonWheels
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2015 - 09:28 AM

ok thank you for all the help :) thank you alot :3

#14 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,198 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2015 - 09:38 AM

No problem, you're welcome :)

unite_blue.png

#15 jamtomorrow

jamtomorrow

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2015 - 12:36 PM

I've been using RoboForm for years. I highly recommend it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users