Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New to the Tech world -iPad 2 woes

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 sweetmeg

sweetmeg

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 PM

Posted 03 September 2015 - 05:28 AM

Retired & trying to make the most of this hi-tech world. I have an iPod (on @ present) - about 8 yrs, a Toshiba laptop- 6 yrs and an iPad2- about 2 year. I also try to keep my 80 yr neighbor's desktop working so he can have a diversion since he is homebound. Presently my biggest problem is this I pad2... What is it's problem? I get maybe 6-10 min of time before it goes back to black screen & logo. I've derided out junk & rebooted 20 times a day..no good.. Any suggestion ? I never thought I would think an APPLE product was junk
If I reset what wil I Los?

Edited by hamluis, 03 September 2015 - 06:29 AM.
Moved from Introductions to Apple IOS - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CKing123

CKing123

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:44 PM

Posted 05 September 2015 - 09:18 PM

Backup your iPad using iTunes (if you want to keep any passwords, also encrypt the backup so it will backup all the passwords)

Then, boot it into recovery mode and reinstall iOS

After that, use the iTunes backup and see if it fixes the issue.

Very rarely it could also be a damaged iPad for which you can make an appointment with Apple Genius to get it fixed

If I am helping you and I don't respond within 2 days, feel free to send me a PM

Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst 

Github | Keybase

#3 sweetmeg

sweetmeg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2015 - 11:27 PM

Thank you so much for answering me...I was so excited to see I got a response. The problem is...I guess I really don't belong on a site like this because I don't understand your instructions. But, I will ask around & try to find someone who does understand it & I'll try it. Thanks again for taking the time.

#4 CKing123

CKing123

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2015 - 10:43 AM

Thank you so much for answering me...I was so excited to see I got a response. The problem is...I guess I really don't belong on a site like this because I don't understand your instructions. But, I will ask around & try to find someone who does understand it & I'll try it. Thanks again for taking the time.

Sorry about that

I will be more clear this time

Let's backup your iPad

Open iTunes
In the menu, go to File > Devices > Transfer Purchases (if you are using Windows and you don't see the menu, press Alt key)

Wait for iTunes to finish transferring your purchases. Then, in the menu, click File > Devices > Back up (if you cannot see the menu, press Alt)

Now, lets boot your iPad in recovery mode

1. Turn off your device and leave it off.
2. Plug in your device's USB cable to a computer with iTunes. 
3. Hold down the Home button on your device as you connect the USB cable. Keep holding down the Home button until you see the Connect to iTunes screen.

itunes_connect_diagram.png

4. When you see this screen, release the Home button. If you don't see this screen, try steps 1 through 3 again.

Now, iTunes will show a message that your iPad is in recovery mode

It will show this message

itunes_recovery_iphone.png

Click Restore

Now, lets restore your iPad from backup

1. Go to File > Devices > Restore from Backup. If you're using Windows and don’t see a File menu, press the Alt key.
  2. Look at the date each backup and pick the most relevant (most likely the backup you did above)
  3. Click restore and wait for the process to finish. Your device will restart and then sync with your computer. Stay connected until the sync finishes.

See if the problem is fixed

If I am helping you and I don't respond within 2 days, feel free to send me a PM

Github | Keybase

#5 sweetmeg

sweetmeg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2015 - 05:28 AM

Hi, I'm finally back but not with good news. It took 2 days to complete the transfer/synch/restore. The process kept stopping ..saying it could not complete due to an error or it would stop recognizing the iPad. .so, I did the backup in stages & finally finished this morning. The RESTORE, however, did not fix the iPad.....still loses connection, goes black, reboots & Apple logo appears...it could happen again right away or I might get some time on it.
I want to thank you again for the tine you spent on those instructions.

#6 CKing123

CKing123

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2015 - 06:37 PM

You might have to contact Apple Support here or make an appointment with Apple Genius here (Apple Genius is Apple's repair center)

Github | Keybase

#7 sweetmeg

sweetmeg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2015 - 08:06 AM

Thanks again! more great information that I didn't know about. I will definitely use those services ....I'm determined to figure this out!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users