Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hijack This Question

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 parrotplay

parrotplay

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:48 AM

Posted 15 July 2006 - 05:41 PM

In my HiJack This logs that I run, several of the items say "(File Missing)" after them. What do I need to do with these entries? Thanx...!! parrotplay

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Elendil

Elendil

• Members
  • 660 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:48 AM

Posted 15 July 2006 - 06:19 PM

I believe if on HJT an entry has "(file missing)" that means just what it says: the program which HJT (HiJackThis) is detecting, is missing a file. At any rate, I don't believe this can be a good thing and something is amiss. Anyways, you should not be tampering with your own HJT logs unless you are positive that you have a thorough understanding of computer security and are able to research the log with ease. We have a board here at BC specifically for HJT logs and analysis. These people are pros and have gone to great lengths to be certified for HJT Log Analysis here at BC (trust me I know, I'm training and it's not easy).
Stanford '14
B.S. Candidate | Computer Science

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,769 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2006 - 10:04 PM

Actually HJT has a glitch that makes O9s and O23s appear to have (no file) when that is not the case. You should not rely on the (no file) as the reason for fixing those entries.

Elendil is correct about cautioning regarding using this program. HijackThis is an advanced tool that requires advanced knowledge about the Windows Operating System. Most of the log entries are required to run a computer and removing essential ones can potentially cause serious damage such as your Internet no longer working or problems with running Windows itself.

HijackThis is an enumerator and similar in some respects to a registry editor program which displays areas of the Windows registry where the majority of Viruses, Trojans, Spyware, Adware, and Malware reside. HJT will scan certain areas of your system and then create a log to help diagnose the presence of undetected malware in these known hiding places. It then relies on experts to interpret the log entries [the areas of the registry that it displays and all running processes in Task Manager at the time the log was created] and determine what needs to be fixed.

And just because you "fixed" something with HJT, that does not mean you have a clean system. There are specific files and folders which must be deleted afterwards. HJT does NOT delete them. Futher, removing entries in HJT before the problem is properly identified can make the malware undetectable to other detection and removal tools. Full system scanning tools like Ad-aware, Spybot S&D and SpySweeper will remove the registry entries as well as the related files which results in a more complete removal process. HJT this should only be used to clean up the entries left behind, after you have properly removed the malware.

If you do not have advanced knowledge about computers you should NOT fix anything using HijackThis without consulting a expert as to what to fix. If you choose to fix anything by yourself, you do so at your own risk.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 parrotplay

parrotplay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:48 AM

Posted 16 July 2006 - 10:57 AM

Thanx for understanding what I was trying to ask...what was it I needed to do. I will submit a HJT log to see what is going on with these files. Thanx so much for pointing me in the right direction!! Is very appreciated!! I do use Adaware, Spybot, Avast AV, Zone Alarm Firewall, Spyware Guard, Spyware Blaster along with CCleaner and Cleanup, thanx to Bleeping Computer resources. Try to keep my system running with as few problems as I can! Thanx again...parrotplay

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,769 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2006 - 11:48 AM

Your welcome. Once you post your log you should not make further changes to your computer (install/uninstall programs, use special fix tools, delete files on your own, etc.) unless advised by a HJT Team member. Doing so can result in system changes which may not show it the log you already posted. Further, any modification you make may complicate the malware removal process and could lead to your system being damaged further.

Good luck.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users