Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My PC doesn't seem to know how to handle headsets

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 kongo204

kongo204

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:00 PM

Posted 03 September 2015 - 01:15 AM

So my headset does this thing where it's a total bleep to me most of the time. Or it's my computer, I dunno. (It's probably my computer.) I've googled these issues and come up with nothing similar every week or so for the past few months. I've got a little workaround for when I get frustrated, but I can't live like this anymore. And I spent way too much money to not be able to use these. It's time to ask for help.

I'm running windows 10, 64 bit, but this problem was occuring on 8 before I upgraded. It has also happened with a different headset made by a different company that would take rooting through old emails to remember the name of. It's probably relevant that the other headset also plugged in via usb and needed it's own drivers and such. This sort of issue has been going on for over a year through countless issues.

Anyway, sometimes my headset makes things that play audio not work. VLC will usually open a video file but never play even a second of it. Right now I have a youtube video stuck at 00:00 with no sign that any of it has loaded. In that case, chrome seems to be acting like the page hasn't loaded all the way yet. I also have a tab trying to load a google hangout with similar results. The page has the little moving icon it does seconds before you connect to the call.

Another weird thing is that, when this bleep is happening, I can't open that one control panel related window with the different audio/recording devices, test sounds, etc. And if it's already open when the problems start happening, I can't get the test sounds to play.

These issues usually start when I finish using it for something. That means closing a game, exiting VLC, or hanging up from a skype call. Usually I can fix it by uninstalling the stuff in device manager, unplugging the wireless receiver, and restarting my PC.

Just now, the straw that broke my back, was that my stupid little fix isn't working. After the restart I'll open the audio window thingy and play a test sound. It works. I cheer to myself. Then I open chrome to watch the bleep video I've been trying to watch for a while and all my audio goes to crap again.

Oh, and I should probably mention that, after all of these problems start occurring, they continue until my restart, even if I'm using my speakers or earbuds plugged into the headphone jack.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Norseman143

Norseman143

• Members
  • 300 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:00 PM

Posted 03 September 2015 - 02:12 AM

Check your device manager and see if theirs a check mark, then check for driver updates for youe sound card

#3 kongo204

kongo204
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2015 - 02:26 AM

Check your device manager and see if theirs a check mark, then check for driver updates for youe sound card

Screenshot of device manager: http://i.imgur.com/UDlxMKh.png

There aren't any updates to install. 

#4 Norseman143

Norseman143

• Members
  • 300 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2015 - 02:31 AM

Better yet

On the bottom right hand side of your screen there should be an arrow pointing up click on that. Then right click on  what your sound system for your system is

Mine is realteck........right click on that and it should allow you to adjust your settings, see if its set right

#5 kongo204

kongo204
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2015 - 02:48 AM

Better yet

On the bottom right hand side of your screen there should be an arrow pointing up click on that. Then right click on  what your sound system for your system is

Mine is realteck........right click on that and it should allow you to adjust your settings, see if its set right

Maybe I didn't explain it correctly in my initial post, but I can't even open the settings when I'm having the problem. Also, I wouldn't know what settings allow video and audio to even start playing like that, nor how the settings change just because I hang up a skype call or close a video app.

#6 Norseman143

Norseman143

• Members
  • 300 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2015 - 02:57 AM

If you are using Windows 10 you should have that icon on the bottom right side,click it

and By hovering over it,it should say what your default audio player is

Like I said earlier, The name of my Audio program is Real Tech

How do things work off line?when its just music?

To me it seems like something in your setting isnt set right

#7 Norseman143

Norseman143

• Members
  • 300 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2015 - 03:04 AM

I looked at your screen shot again and your PC is detecting your Headphones

People have been having some trouble with Chrome and Windows 10, Have you ever used Firefox or Windows edge?

How old is your PC?

#8 kongo204

kongo204
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2015 - 03:11 AM

If you are using Windows 10 you should have that icon on the bottom right side,click it

and By hovering over it,it should say what your default audio player is

Like I said earlier, The name of my Audio program is Real Tech

How do things work off line?when its just music?

To me it seems like something in your setting isnt set right

http://i.imgur.com/9z0Nn4A.png

Here are all of the icons I have. Right now my default is Realtek because of the issues, but would usually have my headset as the default most of the time. Right now I can get my sound settings to open because I've rebooted my computer and haven't plugged the headset back in.

Online and offline doesn't seem to matter. I haven't tried just local music, but using websites like Pandora doesn't work either.

Which settings would be relevant? I've looked through stuff, and pretty much everything I've seen has more to do with the actual headphones or output of audio. What would stop the video parts loading, even if I don't get any sound from it?

#9 kongo204

kongo204
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2015 - 03:15 AM

I looked at your screen shot again and your PC is detecting your Headphones

People have been having some trouble with Chrome and Windows 10, Have you ever used Firefox or Windows edge?

How old is your PC?

I have tried using Firefox and Internet Explorer (because the issue preceded the upgrade).

It's just over 2 years old.

http://i.imgur.com/3enB7U8.png

#10 Norseman143

Norseman143

• Members
  • 300 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2015 - 03:21 AM

OK the one I wanted you to check was that arrow to the left of what you have circled, your is a little differnt than mine, but the icons are different

You have realtek (the same as mine)

I dont think theirs anything wrong with your PC, I think its more to do with Google chrome, or something intefearing with it while youre online

What do you have for anti virus? Do you have Malwarbytes installed?

Do you have any addons or plugins for Chrome?

#11 kongo204

kongo204
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2015 - 03:31 AM

OK the one I wanted you to check was that arrow to the left of what you have circled, your is a little differnt than mine, but the icons are different

You have realtek (the same as mine)

I dont think theirs anything wrong with your PC, I think its more to do with Google chrome, or something intefearing with it while youre online

What do you have for anti virus? Do you have Malwarbytes installed?

Do you have any addons or plugins for Chrome?

Would Chrome interfere with offline stuff, too? I'll try uninstalling chrome in the morning, but I don't know how to force the issue. I guess I'll have to live chrome-less for a while.

I use Avast, and I don't have Malwearbytes installed.

I have quite a few addons and plugins. 

I need to go to sleep, because I have work in the morning, but I'd really appreciate it if you came back some time later today. Thank you for working with me on this.

#12 Norseman143

Norseman143

• Members
  • 300 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2015 - 03:35 AM

Dont uninstall Chrome yet, Download Malwarebytes (Free) do a scan with that when you have time

You could have some malware messing with things

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/malwarebytes-anti-malware/index.html

Edited by Norseman143, 03 September 2015 - 03:37 AM.

#13 Norseman143

Norseman143

• Members
  • 300 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2015 - 03:42 AM

Also check your plugins and addons to see if they are up to date

AAvast has a bootime scanner that looks for anything malicious

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users