Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bogus Flash Player Update

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 stealth1

stealth1

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:28 AM

Posted 03 September 2015 - 12:02 AM

Two days ago while browsing at NewEgg a strange pop-up occurred, it almost looks like a real message saying that I needed to update my Flash Player. After contacting Adobe they confirmed that the pop-up is a bogus item and they had no clue where it came from.

I also sent screen shots of the pop-up to Adobe Tech Support that contain the URL address of the pop-up sender.

I'm running Windows 7 Home Premium and Internet Explorer 11 and also Firefox browsers. The problem only occurs when using Internet Explorer. I do not see any problem when using Firefox.

In researching this I found others are experiencing the same thing so I thought I'd sign up here and see if anyone here has any ideas on how to get rid of the pop-up. Here's what I know about it so far:

I have run Malwarebytes several times and the pop-up still occurs. I also ran HitMan Pro several times and that did not help. I have also uninstalled Internet Explorer 11 and reverted back to Internet Explorer 10, still no help. I also did a System Restore from a few days before the pop-up started showing up, that was no help either.

I was able to capture a screenshot of the primary URL that pops up in the address bar of the browser a few seconds before the Flash Player Update pops up. Here is that URL:

http://onclickads.net/afu.php?zoneid=371891 (but PLEASE don't click on it!!!)

I have attached my best screenshot of the fake Flash Player Update here as well. Hope someone in the community has some insight that might help get rid of this annoyence. Thanks!

Attached Files

Edited by hamluis, 03 September 2015 - 11:10 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Am I Infected - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 czarboom

czarboom

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 AM

Posted 03 September 2015 - 12:20 AM

Hello,

For this issue I would recommend that you post in the malware forums on this site. (assuming you have not done this already) 

To do this

Go to the malware forum on our site.  You do this by first going here, to read how to post and where, what and when. 
Then follow the post link to post to our virus forum.

Please wait, do not do anything to your computer unless a forum, Malware expert, or Moderator tells you too.  They will make sure your computer has no virus, malware on it, and help you secure your computer.

Only work with one person at a time, DO NOT go to different sites and get help there too.

Good luck and please stick with the antivirus experts, they help a lot of people, and it can take a few days to get to you, but they are as good as it gets.

Cz

CZARBOOM 

"Never Stop Asking Questions, Question Your Environment, Question Your Government, above all Question Yourself.  We all lose when you Stop asking Why?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users