Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Resizing All Programs List In Xp

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 parrotplay

parrotplay

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:47 AM

Posted 15 July 2006 - 05:33 PM

I need to know how to move or resize the All Programs list, off the Start Menu in Windows XP Home. For some reason this has changed size and cannot see the last row of my Programs. What do I need to do to resize this? Thanx!! parrotplay

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bicycle bill

bicycle bill

• Banned
  • 339 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:47 AM

Posted 15 July 2006 - 07:14 PM

http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.p...750cdf6d9141cff

Check this out. Good luck.

I just checked out the instructions and they should be like this.

if you prefer to scroll programs, r-click start> properties>customize>advanced
advanced and place a
check in the box for Scroll Programs

Edited by bicycle bill, 15 July 2006 - 07:38 PM.

#3 parrotplay

parrotplay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2006 - 11:22 AM

Thanx so much for the information. Is there a way to change the size of the columns in All Programs list off the Start Menu, besides setting that list so I can scroll thru it all? Sure cannot find anything that would change the format of all programs lists. Thanx! parrotplay

#4 bicycle bill

bicycle bill

• Banned
  • 339 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2006 - 02:00 PM

Thanx so much for the information. Is there a way to change the size of the columns in All Programs list off the Start Menu, besides setting that list so I can scroll thru it all? Sure cannot find anything that would change the format of all programs lists. Thanx! parrotplay

I myself don't know of a way. Maybe someone else will come along and help with that.

#5 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2006 - 02:39 PM

Right-click an empty area of the desktop, and then click Properties.
Click the appearance tab.
If the font size is set to large or extra large change it to normal.

#6 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2006 - 03:08 PM

If you want to use Windows Classic View theme instead of Windows XP Theme right-click an empty area of the desktop, and then click Properties.
Click the appearance tab.
Then click the "Advanced" tab.
Click the down arrow in the "Item" box
Reduce the size of the font.

Click "OK"
Then click "Apply"

#7 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2006 - 04:23 PM

What parrotplay is asking to do is take the All Programs and shrink it so all of the programs will be visible at one time. The screen is like this because it is like a file system that does not categorize things in a way that make s sense. the more programs you install the longer the list becomes and the farther over to the right side it grows until it is off the screen. I know of only one way to make this smaller but it is a lot of work and there is no way to do this automatically. To do this I will have to make a little tutorial and then post it back here at a later date. It will take a bit of time to do this and right now is not a good time. I will post it back here asap.

#8 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2006 - 07:42 PM

Well I made better time than I thought I would. I would suggest to print this article for reference when you are working. Please take your time and read this article first so you have an idea of what you have to do.

For this procedure you have to know how to drag and drop with both the left and right mouse keys. When I want you to drag I will tell you to drag and you do not release the mouse key until I tell you to drop.

Right click on a blank area of the desktop
In the context window left click on New
Left click on Folder in the next window
This will open a new folder on the desktop with a highlighted box in the name area just press the enter key to accept it as New Folder
Drag with the right mouse button the New Folder first to the Start button - do not release the button yet.
When the Start button activates you will see All Programs - drag the mouse cursor to All Programs - do not release the right mouse button yet.
When the screen opens to the right for All Programs - drag the right mouse into the right side of All Programs.
Now release the right mouse button and then left click on copy here and then you should have New Folder inside the All Program Window.
Next right click on New Folder and left click on Rename and it will open a Rename window
Rename this New Folder to whatever you wish that will make a file to hold more than one of the programs you have like Utilities and press enter.
Now you have a new directory or file holder in All Programs called Utilities.

Now the next part is the fun part. You will get messages that this may affect other users do you want to do this, Just click yes to every one of these.

You are going to have to do this one at a time. You are going to drag with the left mouse button anything that looks like a utility to the Utilities folder you just made. And when you do the Utilities folder will open to one side othe other and you will drop the dragged object into the Utilities folder.

For every folder you drop into Utilities the All Programs list to the right will get smaller and smaller. What you also want to do is figure out what to name the other folders you want to make and put into the All Programs list, and then one at a time start this over again and drag like I said the New Folder to the All Programs List and rename and drag more folders into this one. Eventually you will have this down to a minimum size and you will be amazed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users