DELL Inspiron ONE Computer
Intel Core i5 2.5 GHz
64-Bit Windows 7 Professional
Computer is 8 months old.
A brief summary of my issues for the past 2 months:
1. Freezing. Started to throw up Blue and Black screens on the odd occasion. Didn't matter what I was doing.
2. I reformatted it a month and a half ago and the screens stopped. But every so often the computer would freeze, restart and then I would get "Disk Read Error" or "Please insert a bootable device". After several restarts with my Windows 7 Disc eventually a blue screen would appear saying "BCD error. etc". I would restart again with my Windows 7 Disc, it would detect the startup issue but say it couldn't repair it, and then when I would restart it would log in normally.
3. It was like tic and toe. Days would go by without any issues, then the booting issues would start and I would muck around for 10 minutes with the Windows 7 Disc to get it to boot again.
4. Yesterday was a change. My computer would boot to the BIOS screen and then it would give me a black screen. And it did that no matter how many times I restarted. So I tried the Windows 7 Disc. As usual, couldn't repair the startup issues. Couldn't load a System Restore image, so I was left with Command Prompt. Ran the fix mbr/bcd commands which it said it did successfully, but that made no difference. Then I tried to repair the BCD. And this is where some more issues came up. I got lots of errors saying "Can't copy boot files needed" and "Can't make selected partition active". So I reformatted the computer again.
5. Was going well this morning until I restarted and it gave me a few black screens. Eventually I got to the password screen where it said "Remote server issue". After restarting I finally got back into Windows.
6. I ran a disk check which found no faulty sectors.
Would appreciate some guidance as to how best to address/investigate this series of issues. I have a feeling it is hard drive related, but a bit puzzled as to why its fine until I restart or if it freezes. Not sure how to further investigate it as the BIOS and Windows checks report that the HDD is fine.