Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrading Laptop

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 batman2015

batman2015

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 PM

Posted 02 September 2015 - 11:01 PM

Specs:

Samsung 2012 Windows 8

Processor: AMDA6-4400M APU With Radeon™ HD Graphics 2.70 GHz

RAM 4.00 GB

System type:64-bit Operating System, x64-based processor

What should I upgrade to make my computer run videos and games faster, as well as play them at full specs (ex. 1080p)?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 czarboom

czarboom

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:37 PM

Posted 03 September 2015 - 12:10 AM

Hello,

Baised on what you provided I would start with RAM.  Assuming you have open slots for it, (I would assume you do based on it being a x64 system).

Try at least 8GB or 16GB of RAM if you can afford it.

Other than than, maybe getting rid of Windows 8 for either Windows 7 or a Linux OS.  Both seem to run faster than Windows 8 (no tiles to mess with)

hope that is what you are asking for,

good luck

cz

CZARBOOM 

"Never Stop Asking Questions, Question Your Environment, Question Your Government, above all Question Yourself.  We all lose when you Stop asking Why?

#3 pistol22cal

pistol22cal

• Members
  • 294 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2015 - 06:03 PM

RAM might help you some but if you are not using 100% of your 4GB then increasing RAM will have little effect.

Since you are using an APU your graphics are built into you CPU.

You could check with you manufacture and see if you can upgrade the CPU ---- A6-6310 maybe --- That would be a huge upgrade and would get you what you want.

If you could give us the manufactures part number of you laptop I am sure it could be looked up easily to see what could be done.

Edited by pistol22cal, 06 September 2015 - 06:04 PM.

I Love Lamp!

#4 SEANIA

SEANIA

• Members
  • 377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 AM

Posted 06 September 2015 - 11:30 PM

That CPU is soldered to the board. It can't be upgraded.

Putting in faster RAM can increase the video and game performance for things running on a integrated GPU. However the CPU can only use RAM in single channel at 1866mhz, and I'm pretty sure it's already running a 4GB stick of 1866mhz RAM. 

Anything that would use more RAM then 4GB would probably require beefier parts elsewhere anyways.

The CPU runs at 1.8Ghz and turbos to 2.4Ghz under certain load conditions. However there is no way to force it to always be at 2.4Ghz to gain more performance.

What I'm getting at is- it is what it is. There is nothing that can be done to make it play games better or play 1080p video better. I own a laptop (and am using it right now)  with the same CPU (APU if you want to get specific). The only caveat being that it also has a dedicated GPU along side the A6-6310.

EDIT:

There are ways to attach a external desktop GPU to almost any laptop (and that would greatly improve all those things), but they're expensive, require a good deal of computer know how/confidence, and keep you from moving the laptop as the thing it's attached to has to be plugged into a wall constantly. On top of that the things to do it with are obscure and unused by all but the most desperate. 

Edited by SEANIA, 06 September 2015 - 11:43 PM.

99% of the time, I edit for type-o's and grammar. I'll note it if that's not the case. 

I write near essays for most my responses, and then try to condense as best I can to the introduction of one. Less is more. Let me know if I post to much. 

I do a lot of spacing for readability. Let me know if that makes my posts seem to big. 

#5 pistol22cal

pistol22cal

• Members
  • 294 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2015 - 09:28 AM

That CPU is soldered to the board. It can't be upgraded.

Putting in faster RAM can increase the video and game performance for things running on a integrated GPU. However the CPU can only use RAM in single channel at 1866mhz, and I'm pretty sure it's already running a 4GB stick of 1866mhz RAM. 

Anything that would use more RAM then 4GB would probably require beefier parts elsewhere anyways.

The CPU runs at 1.8Ghz and turbos to 2.4Ghz under certain load conditions. However there is no way to force it to always be at 2.4Ghz to gain more performance.

What I'm getting at is- it is what it is. There is nothing that can be done to make it play games better or play 1080p video better. I own a laptop (and am using it right now)  with the same CPU (APU if you want to get specific). The only caveat being that it also has a dedicated GPU along side the A6-6310.

EDIT:

There are ways to attach a external desktop GPU to almost any laptop (and that would greatly improve all those things), but they're expensive, require a good deal of computer know how/confidence, and keep you from moving the laptop as the thing it's attached to has to be plugged into a wall constantly. On top of that the things to do it with are obscure and unused by all but the most desperate. 

Changing the CPU is not difficult for an experience repair tech and can be done, though it is not recommended and general when a system needs a new CPU the whole motherboard and CPU assembly would be replaced. But it can and has been done, I have done it. There are so many problems when trying to de-solder a CPU just buy a new laptop --- for real. 

Do your homework before you purchase make sure it will 100% do what you need it to do!

http://www.thebgareworkmachine.com/

Thats what you need to do it!

Edited by pistol22cal, 07 September 2015 - 09:33 AM.

I Love Lamp!

#6 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 AM

Posted 09 September 2015 - 04:58 AM

If that CPU/APU is soldered onto the motherboard, there isn't much you can do with the processor.  It can also be difficult to check CPU compatibility with a laptop since many are custom units with only certain models being sold.  In theory, you may be able to replace the CPU, but I strongly suggest purchasing or building a new PC if you are wanting to play games with everything turned up.

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users