Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Live CD question

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 yu gnomi

yu gnomi

• Members
  • 532 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:39 AM

Posted 02 September 2015 - 09:31 PM

I want to delete something off my Data HDD that I have no access to (System Volume Information folder that is > 100 GB) and I saw posted elsewhere to boot into Puppy Linux to do this.

I have d/l'd and burned 2 versions of puppy - Precise 5.7.1 and Tahr 6.02 (following Al1000's tutorial). I have been unable to boot into either. My PC just boots to Windows. My UEFI is set to boot from CD/DVD as first priority, so I don't know what is happening.

Do I have to disable secure boot? Do I need to enable Legacy boot also?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,180 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 AM

Posted 02 September 2015 - 10:08 PM

I would say yes and yes.  Certainly legacy boot needs to be allowed (many systems allow UEFI and legacy boot to both be enabled at the same time) to boot off CD, unless the CD is written to support a UEFI boot mode (like Windows 7+ x64 DVD's are).  I don't have Precise or Tahr, but the Slacko 5.7 CD I have here does not support UEFI boot.

On my system I've found boot override - in my case pressing F12 on the initial logo screen - more reliable than changing boot order.  If you have that option might be worth trying.

7sbvuf-6.png

#3 yu gnomi

yu gnomi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 532 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2015 - 10:13 PM

Thanks.

I didn't want to go through the hassle unless it was necessary, but will try going to UEFI + Legacy w/o Secureboot

#4 yu gnomi

yu gnomi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 532 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2015 - 11:04 PM

Mystery solved!

Puppy Linux started right up and I freed up 100 GB on my HDD - which doesn't have my OS on it. I wouldn't be so cavalier about deleting protected system stuff on my System drive.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users