Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Did I get the right RAM for my MoBo?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 KevinsHope

KevinsHope

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:43 PM

Posted 02 September 2015 - 08:17 PM

Hi all,

I upgraded my computer for the first time in about 12 years from a core duo quad to an I7 motherboard.  I bought an Asus P8P67 LE motherboard.  This motherboard has a fancy feture, perhaps standard now, that gives you a little red light next to anything that is not working properly.  I bought 16 gigs of Patriot Viper 3 desktop memory DDR3 1600MHz PV316G160C9K and installed it.  When I flipped on the computer for the first time, it seemed to be going through a standard start up, but then....the monitor does not come on and the computer just sits there idling.  The little red light next to the MEM OK button on the motherboard is glowing brightly.  Now, I have become aware that, contrary to DDR 2 and DDR 1, not all DDR 3 works in all motherboards that are made for DDR 3.  Did I buy the wrong ram?  If so, where was my error, and what kind of RAM do I need to be picking up?

Thanks in advance,

Kevin

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 gigawert

gigawert

Computer Consultant

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:43 PM

Posted 02 September 2015 - 09:13 PM

Here it says your motherboard supports only 1066 and 1333 MHz RAM. That's probably why the RAM isn't working. :)

John 3:16

"God loved the world so much that He gave His uniquely-sired Son, with the result that anyone who believes in Him would never perish but have eternal life."

#3 yu gnomi

yu gnomi

• Members
  • 532 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:43 PM

Posted 02 September 2015 - 10:00 PM

I would say no.

https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/P8P67_LE/HelpDesk_QVL/    links to a page where you download the QVL (vendor's list) for your mobo. For whatever reason the bottom 2 downloads are both for your mobo - I am guessing that the more recent one supercedes the other one, but I'm not sure. The RAM you got isn't listed in either.

#4 Wrkngman

Wrkngman

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:43 PM

Posted 03 September 2015 - 03:16 AM

Something else to look at on the RAM. Asus motherboards are particular about the RAM and one of the most common issues is RAM voltage. Patriot usually has higher voltage, what you will need is RAM with a voltage of 1.5. The best RAM I have ever used for an Asus board is Corsair and it is easy to find the 1.5 voltage.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,865 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:43 PM

Posted 03 September 2015 - 02:32 PM

The RAM speed is fine for that board, per SPECs .

Asus boards can be finicky about RAM...but the modules you acquired should work with that board.  The QVL is not comprehensive and does not reflect all compatible RAM modules/vendors, just a few chosen which have been tested.

Don't get fooled by what the RAM is called, it should be compatible with that board.  See chart for DDR3 at Crucial site, .http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/support-memory-speeds-compatability .

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 03 September 2015 - 02:34 PM.

#6 KevinsHope

KevinsHope
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:43 PM

Posted 03 September 2015 - 08:36 PM

Thanks to All for responses.  I found  Wrkngman and hamluis   suggestions very helpful.  It turns out one the ram modules was not working at all with my board, but the other one was working, which does not make sense, because the guy that sold them to me is confident that they were tested and in good working condition.  I got a refund, and using your suggestions and knowlege, I purchased some more 1600, but I made sure it was 1.5 volts.  Hopefully, it will do the trick.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users