Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"Update to Windows 10 Headache Free With A Pre-Upgrade Checklist", via HTG

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,661 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:11 PM

Posted 02 September 2015 - 07:55 PM

We can say, without hesitation, that every headache weve ever had upgrading a modern computer to a new operating system has been the direct result of our own haste and failure to follow good upgrade practices.

RELATED
The Windows 10 FAQ: Everything You Need to Know
For the most part modern operating systems are largely fool proof. Aside from driver issues here or there, wrangling with old hardware, or other unforeseen problems the vast majority of consumers will enjoy a pretty smooth experience. The biggest problems typically crop up, however, when consumers fail to perform some basic house keeping before they upgrade.

Whether youre excited about Windows 10 or dragging your feet, its important to perform some basic steps before the upgrade process to ensure that your files (and sanity) are safe. Its worth noting that the focus of this article is on what you should do before you upgrade. If you have general questions about Windows 10, be sure to check out our article The Windows 10 FAQ: Everything You Need to Know.

Lets take a look at our start-to-finish checklist for a headache free upgrade process.

Nice little article for those who are wondering what they should do before upgrading to Windows 10. To this I would add: disconnect any SATA devices that doesn't contain the main Windows partition, unplug every peripherals except your mouse, keyboard, monitor and Ethernet cable, make sure your USB devices are connected in USB 2.0 ports directly on the motherboard, check your partitions and make sure they all have a purpose and are fully healthy and use the Media Creation Tool if you have the chance.

http://www.howtogeek.com/225241/update-to-windows-10-headache-free-with-a-pre-upgrade-checklist/

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users