Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

'View and Track your Downloads' virus infection?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
14 replies to this topic

#1 wile033

wile033

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:47 PM

Posted 02 September 2015 - 07:29 PM

Hi Guys - This is my first post on your site and I just want to say thanks in advance for giving my problem attention.

For years my wife and I have played the club-pogo word game...qwerty....on our desktop computer. This past Friday, a prompt to download the latest version of...java...popped up...so as I have many times in the past...I proceeded to do the update.

I clicked on the java link...but instead of bringing me to the update page.....a ....'View and Track your Downloads'.... window opened, asking ...'do you want to run or save the program'?...  I proceeded to click...run... but not only didn't it run...another identical window opened.....'do you want to run or save the program'?   After repeating this a few more times, I clicked ...'save'... instead....no change. I then  rebooted the computer....still no change. As I thought about what to do next....my wife decided to try a game of solitaire.  A few moments later she said...."It's doing the same thing"....and sure enough....when i clicked the windows-solitaire icon on the desktop.... only... 'View and track your Downloads"..came up on the screen. At that point I noticed many of the desktops program icons had been replaced by the blue e explorer icon...and that none of the -- .exe --- programs would open... (solitaire...notepad...etc)....instead they flash on the screen momentarily... only to be replaced by the... "View and Track your Downloads..." window.   ----- Last night while poking around online.... I googled...."view and track your downloads virus"..and that's what led me here to your site.....

I found a post from May 29, 2013....describing a problem nearly identical to mine...titled ..."View + Track Downloads PopUps W/Virus Infection"... After reading the post...(and the replies with a successful fix..)....I discovered that their problem was nearly identical to mine... with one major difference .....they could NOT get on the internet....I can.  Well....that's it in a nutshell....at first I was tempted to try the same fix ...but....I read in your instructions that this shouldn't be done until given the okay by you guys.....besides...it's also a bit complicated, so I'd probably need some help walking me through it anyway.     ------------

I got the computer from dell 2 yrs ago ...64 bit...i5 ..inspiron 660..... windows 7.

I'll appreciate any help you can give me.  Will E                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           .

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Machiavelli

Machiavelli

Agent 007

• Malware Response Instructor
  • 3,976 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2015 - 05:08 AM

Hey, :)

Please run the following diagnostic scans so I can ascertain the state of your computer.

STEP 1

xlK5Hdb.png Farbar Recovery Scan Tool (FRST) Scan

• Please download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool (x32) or Farbar Recovery Scan Tool (x64) and save the file to your Desktop.
  • Note: Download and run the version compatible with your system (32 or 64-bit). Download both if you're unsure; only one will run.
  • Right-Click FRST.exe or FRST64.exe and select AVOiBNU.jpg Run as administrator to run the programme.
  • Click Yes to the disclaimer.
  • Ensure the Addition.txt box is checked.
  • Click the Scan button and let the programme run.
  • Upon completion, click OK, then OK on the Addition.txt pop up screen.
  • Two logs (FRST.txt & Addition.txt) will now be open on your Desktop. Copy the contents of both logs and paste in your next reply. 

STEP 2
YARWD1t.png TDSSKiller Scan

• Please download TDSSKiller and save the file to your Desktop.
  • Right-Click TDSSKiller.exe and select AVOiBNU.jpg Run as administrator to run the programme.
  • Click Change parameters. Place a checkmark next to Detect TDLFS file system and Verify file digital signatures.
  • ​Click Start Scan. Do not use the computer during the scan.
  • If objects are found, change the action to skip.
  • Click Continue and close the window.
  • A log will be created and saved to the root directory (usually C:\). Attach (not copy/paste) the file in your next reply.

======================================================

STEP 3
pfNZP4A.png Logs
In your next reply please include the following logs. Please be sure to copy and paste the requested logs, as well as provide information on any questions I may have asked.

• FRST.txt
  • Addition.txt
  • TDSSKiller log (attached!)

~Machiavelli

If I don't reply within 24 hours please PM me!

• Every topic with no replies within 5 days will be closed.
  • If you like my help here please give me feedback.

unite_blue.png

#3 wile033

wile033
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2015 - 08:20 AM

Thanks for your response Machiavelli.

Unfortunately while trying to follow your directions..... I was stopped in my tracks almost immediately.  When I attempt to download -either- version of the the FRST tool.....the same problem occurs.....

first a ..."View and Track your Downloads"...window opens..... asking......'do you want to run or save the program'? .....then regardless of whether I click.....run...or...save.......

another identical window asking .....'do you want to run or save the program'?...opens......an endless cycle.....

The same thing happens when I try to run the ..TDSS killer.....

This proves what I suggested in my first post.....apparently I cannot open ANYTHING with a... .exe ....extension. 

#4 Machiavelli

Machiavelli

Agent 007

• 3,976 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2015 - 09:22 AM

Does SafeMode work for you?

~Machiavelli

unite_blue.png

#5 wile033

wile033
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2015 - 05:34 PM

Sorry about the delay Machiavelli, something pressing came up here at home earlier....then when I got back I had to look up how to get into...safe mode...

but yes.... I was able to .....

the bad news is....while I was in safe mode.... I tried to open windows 7 scrabble... but that same problem...the....."View and Track your Downloads"....window opens repeatedly.   Once again....the fact that it's an... .exe file ....(solitaire dot exe)....it just will not run....it gets caught in that same.... "View and track your Downloads"....loop.  

#6 Machiavelli

Machiavelli

Agent 007

• 3,976 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2015 - 07:09 AM

Hey, :)

STEP 1
xlK5Hdb.png FRST Recovery Environment Scan

Note: You require access to a clean PC and USB drive
Note: Please print off these instructions, or ensure you have access to them using a different device.

Enter Recovery Environment (Windows 7/Vista)

• Restart the infected computer.
  • As soon as the BIOS is loaded begin tapping the F8 key until the Advanced Boot Options appears.
  • Use the arrow keys to select the Repair your computer menu item.
  • Select your the keyboard language settings, and then click Next.
  • Select the operating system you wish to repair, and then click Next.
  • Select your user account, and then click Next.

Advanced Boot Options Menu

• Select Command Prompt.
  • In the command window type notepad and press Enter on your keyboard.
  • Notepad will open. Click File followed by Open
  • Click Computer, write down your USB drive letter on a piece of paper and close Notepad.
  • Type: x:\frst.exe or x:\frst64.exe in the command window. 
    • Note: Replace letter x with the drive letter of your USB drive you wrote down earlier.
  • Press Enter on your keyboard. The tool will start to run.
  • When the tool opens click Yes to the disclaimer.
  • Click Scan.
  • A log (FRST.txt) will be saved to your USB drive. Using your clean PC, please copy the contents of the log and paste in your next reply.

======================================================

STEP 2
pfNZP4A.png Logs
In your next reply please include the following logs. Please be sure to copy and paste the requested logs, as well as provide information on any questions I may have asked.

• FRST.txt

~Machiavelli

unite_blue.png

#7 wile033

wile033
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2015 - 03:55 PM

Okay 007 ...I'll do my best to follow your instructions, but this (the problem PC) is the only computer in the house... (aside from a kindle fire) ...so it might take me a couple of days to get access to another (clean) computer to use.

As soon as I do...I'll be back here with the info you requested. 

once again, thank you so much for your help.   will e 

#8 Machiavelli

Machiavelli

Agent 007

• 3,976 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2015 - 12:37 PM

You are most welcome, will. :)

~Machiavelli

unite_blue.png

#9 wile033

wile033
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2015 - 07:28 PM

sorry for delay 007....still working on it.  i'll get back to you by weekend.... hopefully with the data you requested. thanks for your patience.     w

#10 Machiavelli

Machiavelli

Agent 007

• 3,976 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2015 - 04:50 AM

OK

~Machiavelli

unite_blue.png

#11 wile033

wile033
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2015 - 02:31 PM

Once again 007...sorry for the delayed response.

I didn't have much luck finding a 'clean' computer to use ....but I did make a very interesting discovery the other night.

I had never created another ....'user account'....on this infected computer....the only acct that existed was my original.... 'administrator acct'....

but..... just for the heck of it... I tried...and succeeded....creating another 'user' account.....

and... i also found to my surprise....that the new.... 'user account' ....appears clean...as I am able to open up....exe...files....without that nagging.... "View and Track your Downloads".... window stopping me......

but ONLY while logged into the new user acct...

because when I go back to my regular..... 'administrator acct'.... it is still...infected!

I didn't try to download the ...FRST tool...but...as I am now able to open other .exe accounts.... (notepad...solitaire...etc) ...in the new user acct..... my question to you is...

should I....if possible....revert back to your original Instructions...(steps...1...2...3...) while logged on to this new...'user acct'...? ...and if successful.....will that give you the data you need?

Thanks very much for your patience and help. 

#12 Machiavelli

Machiavelli

Agent 007

• 3,976 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2015 - 11:51 AM

Yes

~Machiavelli

unite_blue.png

#13 olgun52

olgun52

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,783 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:47 PM

Posted 19 September 2015 - 01:09 PM

Hi wile033,

I will be stepping in to assist you as Machiavelli will be unavailable for a short time and we don't want to delay your progress.

Are you still with me?

Best regards

paypal.gif
If you wish to show appreciation and support me personally fighting against malware, then you can consider a donation. Thank you. :thumbup2:
Malware fix forum

#14 olgun52

olgun52

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,783 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2015 - 12:42 PM

Hello wile033,

4 Day Inactivity

This is the third day since my last post. Are you still there?

If you need more time, just let me know.

If you do not post within 24 hours, this thread will be closed due to inactivity.

Best regards

paypal.gif
If you wish to show appreciation and support me personally fighting against malware, then you can consider a donation. Thank you. :thumbup2:
Malware fix forum

#15 olgun52

olgun52

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,783 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2015 - 06:30 PM

Due to the lack of feedback, this topic is now closed.

In the event you still have problems, please send me or any Moderator a Private Message and ask them to reopen this topic within the next 5 days.

Please include a link to your topic in the Private Message. Thank you.

Best regards

paypal.gif
Malware fix forum

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users